Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

lawred2 wrote: »
    I've lived in Germany and didn't show one piece of ID the whole time. What are you on about?

I lived in Germany for 10 years. Never asked for ID

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Dymo wrote: »
    I've read a lot since the paper was released and I wonder how a lot of this is going to go down in Europe,it looks like the UK has been given a lot of cake.

• still have access to the SM for goods
    Limited access. They can mimimise the barriers to access by keeping their goods regulatory regime aligned to the EU's, so the price of getting minimal restrictions is bing a rule taker on product regulation.
    • will have special access for services

• won't pay into the EU . . .
    Yes, they will. 39 bn for the agreed transition period, and a further 10 bn for each year for which it is extended.

• Fisheries and border contr
    ol are under UK watch

• Supreme court is the highest court in the land for non EU matters
    Supreme Court is the highest court for non-EU matters right now. Why would you expect that to change?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I've read a lot since the paper was released and I wonder how a lot of this is going to go down in Europe,it looks like the UK has been given a lot of cake.

• still have access to the SM for goods

• will have special access for services

• won't pay into the EU

• Fisheries and border control are under UK watch

• Supreme court is the highest court in the land for non EU matters

Not sure what you are reading but that is mostly incorrect.

When is the Vote in the HoC on the deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m surprised we’re not seeing more resignations this morning. I wonder if anyone in the cabinet will walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,829 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Some MP said yesterday that this might be the strategy today, resignations through the ranks all day increasing the pressure on May. If we get as far as the likes of Leadsome, then she is gone in his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

When is the Vote in the HoC on the deal?
    Well if it has to make the EuCo on the 25th, then it will have to be in the next week or so. Current estimates reckon May will need the support of Labour (or other party) rebels to get it through.

This tweeter has been keeping tally of the likely votes she has

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

The ConservativeHome website (arch leaver) is saying that this deal must be backed.
    On Radio 4 this morning the website owner Andrew Feldman said that it's just too late now for any alternative. The time to dump May was back in July after Chequers when Boris jumped.

What is becoming obvious I believe to many in the UK is the level of the humiliation that has been heaped on Britain. As bad as Suez, if not worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Shelga wrote: »
    I’m surprised we’re not seeing more resignations this morning. I wonder if anyone in the cabinet will walk?

Why resign? They have their cake. "an alternative arrangement implementing another scenario is agreed" this is what will replace the "backstop". Nowhere in the document does it specifically define the exact parameters of these arrangements or scenarios. It's vague enough for UK to wriggle out of. I hope ff/sf do not vote for this on the dail.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well if it has to make the EuCo on the 25th, then it will have to be in the next week or so.
    No. It goes to EuCo first. So consideration by Westminster will be some time after that.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Why resign? They have their cake. "an alternative arrangement implementing another scenario is agreed" this is what will replace the "backstop". Nowhere in the document does it specifically define the exact parameters of these arrangements or scenarios. It's vague enough for UK to wriggle out of. I hope ff/sf do not vote for this on the dail.
    "Another scenario" would be either of the two alternatives to a backstop that the UK and the EU agreed back in December 2017 - either a trade deal or magic technology which will protect North-South co-operation and avoid a hard border. The UK can't rely on this to "wriggle out" of the backstop, since neither of these other scenarios can be implemented except by arrangements agreed between EU and UK.

If the UK does want to avoid the backstop the WA offers a mechanism for doing so, which is to agree extension of the transition period. But this can only be done once, and only until a stated date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

cml387 wrote: »
    What is becoming obvious I believe to many in the UK is the level of the humiliation that has been heaped on Britain. As bad as Suez, if not worse.

I think it's worse. While I'm no expert on the Suez crisis, there were reasons to think that Britain had a strong hand in that scenario. David Cameron decided to ditch Britain's privileged position within the EU simply to satisfy the zealots in his party who, surprise surprise are still not satisfied.

Brexit is a crisis of the British establishment's own making. Entirely so. Anyone who read up on the subject beforehand would know how things would pan out though might not expected quite the degree of farce we ended up getting. Even I didn't think the Conservatives would blunder this badly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

Just listening to latest reports on Morning Ireland there and it seems that the official line from the Labour party is that this is a bad deal.
    Granted no deal was going to be good but will that support that May requires from Labour be there now in the HOC ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Raab gone

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Raab has handed in is resignation
    She's toast.

And the deal is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

“No deal” here we come

Raab gone
    "I cannot support the deal that I helped to negotiate."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A graph of where the voting is assumed to go

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1062986192113819651?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You are yet again misunderstanding the deal. Deliberately so I'd have to assume, bearing in mind that you were called on this stuff yesterday, proven wrong and walked away without acknowledging that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Raab has handed in is resignation

Fantastic, about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I think it's worse. While I'm no expert on the Suez crisis, there were reasons to think that Britain had a strong hand in that scenario. David Cameron decided to ditch Britain's privileged position within the EU simply to satisfy the zealots in his party who, surprise surprise are still not satisfied.

Brexit is a crisis of the British establishment's own making. Entirely so. Anyone who read up on the subject beforehand would know how things would pan out though might not expected quite the degree of farce we ended up getting. Even I didn't think the Conservatives would blunder this badly.

Is it not arguable that the end result would have been the same no matter which political party was on the UK's side of the negotiating table!?

What could any other party have delivered? Let's say whoever it was didn't engage in chicanery and populist megaphone diplomacy that is the Tory norm and let's say for argument that the most consistent, trustworthy and mannerly negotiating team was sent to Brussels - would the result have been any different? A few words here and there maybe but the EU entered talks with a plan and they are leaving with that plan satisfied.

The false narrative peddled by UK media and rarely challenged by UK politicians is how we got here! That the UK was a member of the EU in name only and that leaving it would be trivial. All they got for membership of the EU was a membership bill.

It isn't solely a Tory thing. All political parties in the UK share their blame in this.

Chickens are coming home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

What a shame about Raab, I had really believed this Brexit business was kicking into second gear. Despite all the in-fighting in the UK there's a decent deal on the table for all parties in an ultimately crap situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He should have resigned when he realised that Dover was an important trading port.

But ignorance is never seen as a reason for Tories to resign..

See Karen Bradley..

I doubt Theresa May is going to lose too much sleep over that lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This is the pertinent part of the sentence.

Is agreed. That means the EU must agree to it, so the UK cannot simply walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Shelga wrote: »

Well Raab just did.

They won't be wriggling anywhere. There are two parties to the arrangement and both need to be in agreement.

The best the UK can hope for is that the CU is seen to keep trade afloat to a sufficient degree to make the alternative unthinkable. They then settle for their diminished status in their new home in a shed in the EU's garden and fly whatever flags they like on it to make them feel better.

I'm curious as to why you think FF and SF should vote against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

This surely means that the deal is dead. No way will May get this through parliament and she’ll be lucky to survive the day as we will probably have a spate of resignations now to follow.

No deal or 2nd referendum are the ultimate choices. A new government or PM will not have enough time to negotiate a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is it not arguable that the end result would have been the same no matter which political party was on the UK's side of the negotiating table!?

I think you make a very valid point in terms of the deal, in effect the deal is very much what was on offer from the start.

But the loudspeaker diplomacy, the rabid anti-EU sentiment by MPS and ministers, TM's red lines, all served to make people think there was something else out there.

The deal is a shock to the UK as it appears to be terrible, but in effect it is actually pretty decent but it, finally, shows the reality of the the situation they face.

As TM said yesterday, it is this, a No deal or remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Panrich wrote: »
    This surely means that the deal is dead. No way will May get this through parliament and she’ll be lucky to survive the day as we will probably have a spate of resignations now to follow.

No deal or 2nd referendum are the ultimate choices. A new government or PM will not have enough time to negotiate a better deal.

There is no better deal, that's why May has gone full tilt for it, also why Raab has resigned, and why the rest of them will follow.

No deal or remain now, as much as part of me would love to watch the UK wallow in its self inflicted misery - I do really hope they have a people's vote and call off this suicide mission.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement