Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I've had a free lunch bet on with a colleague that there'll be a second vote and they'll remain. Things are looking up!
    Also, while I'm feeling plucky, Trump will get re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

I've had a free lunch bet on with a colleague that there'll be a second vote and they'll remain. Things are looking up!
    Also, while I'm feeling plucky, Trump will get re-elected.

If I could make a deal with the Devil, I would tell him I'll take Brexit being completely reversed and he can get Trump reelected. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Tory vice chairman Rehman Chishti just resigned

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

JRM on the BBC: "We trade with the whole world in WTO terms, I don't understand why they're not sufficient."

And here I am, wanting to yell at my phone: NO YOU DON'T. YOU TRADE WITH MOST OF THE WORLD UNDER BILATERAL AGREEMENTS AND FTAS THAT THE EU HAS NEGOTIATED.

*sigh* That man can sure make my blood boil.

And it's there, in the BBC! No one challenges him!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

When does British parliament vote of the negotiated deal, is there a date set?
    Just wondering if the Tories will shaft May before that vote which will most likely cause a general election.
    So I wonder will the GE happen before the current parliament votes on the deal or will the GE be a referendum on the deal?
    Either way May is finished by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

When does British parliament vote of the negotiated deal, is there a date set?
    Just wondering if the Tories will shaft May before that vote which will most likely cause a general election.
    So I wonder will the GE happen before the current parliament votes on the deal or will the GE be a referendum on the deal?
    Either way May is finished by the looks of it.

25th November funnily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Mc Love wrote: »
    25th November funnily enough
    Plenty of time for them to shaft May for sure.

I don't see enough time for a GE by the 25th. Most likely the government will collapse and the vote postponed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gove wants to renegotiate, or resign, sigh!

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1063086384339148800

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My guess is the EU won't renegotiate at this stage. No Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Correct, and It's an excuse to blame the EU for no deal.

A trap in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Surely there's quite simply no time to renegotiate, even assuming the EU wanted to? I mean, we're right up against it as it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

It will ultimately be Norway for now. Technically it means the UK has left the EU and most issues will be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I took 2 years to reach this fudge, nothing could be renegotiate in 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

One of the most popular novelty bets today, would seem to be for May be relieved before the year is out.

DUUnvgK.png

And the shortest odds for the Next PM is Jeremy.

However both of these events would only prolong the agaony.
    Reckon she'll just about hold off until the end of March 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

May to make another statement at 5pm. {picturing her at the podium saying well f you all, you guys sort it out, mic drop, and strolls into the nearest bar]

Probably a lot more mundane like a new cabinet announcement.

edit: The agency who tweeted it has since deleted it, it was the New European that posted it a few minutes ago before quickly removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is this deal quite like the deal envisaged by chequers?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Surely there's quite simply no time to renegotiate, even assuming the EU wanted to? I mean, we're right up against it as it is.
    Right. It's one thing for some tweaking around the edges, bits that don't work here and there.

But the railing against it is absolute. Without any real substance or specific criticism, just straight out refusal without compromise. Ian Paisley Sr. would be proud.

It's clear that all of the noisemakers in the UK had no intention of accepting any deal of any kind, and this has all been a massive waste of everyone's time.

The EU has no option now but a hardline. There is an actual deal on the table. Refusing it on the basis that "this is not good enough", is not good enough. Unless those in opposition can cite very specific things that they dislike in the deal and what they would like to change, then the EU will have to refuse to waste any more time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If parliament rejects the deal, I hope Europe sticks the knife in. Tariffs & Visa's would make for an interesting few years

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If parliament rejects the deal, I hope Europe sticks the knife in. Tariffs & Visa's would make for an interesting few years

The EU is not interested in 'sticking the knife in'. tariffs and visas are just the outcome of a no deal. The UK will be treated the same as Mongolia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

Inquitus wrote: »

For sh*ts and giggles, May should allow him to.

The EU should then ask him "so what are you going to do to improve your offer (by the way clock is ticking)".

It does mean no deal of course, but isn't that now unavoidable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And they say the Germans don't have a sense of humour.
    https://twitter.com/heuteshow/status/1063073158868152321

On a more serious note, another conservative no confidence letter in May, Sheryll Murray. Not quite sure who she is, but she sits in Cornwall and her issue was over fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The EU is not interested in 'sticking the knife in'. tariffs and visas are just the outcome of a no deal. The UK will be treated the same as Mongolia.

Well if Europe did so, let's the British economy struggle for a bit. They may want the deal that's on the table now.

Either way, a no deal is terrible for the border, hopefully we don't get a return of the troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

That wont be the next step. There are enough Commons votes to reject the deal, sure, but some are because its too much, the balance because its not enough. That also means there are plenty more than 330 odd votes needed to force a second referendum. Whether it becomes a 3-way question with a run-off, (deal, no deal, no Brexit) or a simple in-out is the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AFAIK a significant majority in the HoC don't want to leave the EU. Parliament thus if this Deal is voted down has to find a mechanism of forcing a 2nd Ref.
    They could in effect send This Deal to the people, This Deal v Remain. Crash out Brexit belongs to a lunatic fringe and in reality a small number of MPs support it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Water John wrote: »
    AFAIK a significant majority in the HoC don't want to leave the EU.

A bit old. From the BBC:

_90060774_mps_declare_eu_stance_22_06_16_624gr.png

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

seamus wrote: »
    Unless those in opposition can cite very specific things that they dislike in the deal and what they would like to change, then the EU will have to refuse to waste any more time on it.

I thnk we are way, way beyond that point. The EU have negotiated a deal in good faith with the Government of the UK. The people wanting to renegotiate the deal in the UKs favour: the answer is no. Take it or leave without a deal in March

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Inquitus wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1063086384339148800

Typical Tory Brexiteer cowardice. "It's not my fault. I wanted to support you but you forced me to resign.". Gutless and selfish political manoeuvring. They don't have a single principle between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A bit old. From the BBC:

_90060774_mps_declare_eu_stance_22_06_16_624gr.png

Stark reminder of the inordinate power the Brexiteers wield.

Stark reminder of the inordinate power the Brexiteers wield.

Well, tbf, the people did vote to leave so the MP's are right to realign themselves to that reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well, tbf, the people did vote to leave so the MP's are right to realign themselves to that reality.

Just like the Irish politicians and Irish Government did with Lisbon 1 and Nice 1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement