Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

"There is now an open effort to get the 48 letters required to force a vote of no confidence in Theresa May. Personally, I don’t think it is a racing certainty that this succeeds. The ERG WhatsApp group has had some influential people urging caution, and telling people not to put their letters in." - James Forsyth

Looks like Jacob may not get his 48. Haven't reached 48 as of start of press conference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Markcheese wrote: »
    Wouldn't be that up on UK law, but because of their weird unwritten constitution thing, arent their referendums non binding, as in purely indicitive.. So they could arrange it anyway they want...

Yes, an advisory referendum which they chose to interpret it as mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dytalus wrote: »
    Doesn't list Prime Minister. However:

If this is normally under the resonsibility of the PM, it may indirectly not allow a Catholic to be Prime Minister.

However, it only means RCs cannot advise on appointments to Church of England offices. I wouldn't have thought this was a task for the Prime Minister anyway.
    I think the PM advises on the appointment of bishops in the C of E. I seem to recall an episode of Yes Prime Minister where this was a topic. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think she's going to resign.
    No chance.

It is too late for the UK to change PM at this stage, whether that's via a GE or a tory leadership challenge. Not enough time.

May has to see this through, she has no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How come not one Parliament has yet seen fit to purge that Roman Catholic sectarian crap from their books?

Seriously?

A proscribed list of offices a Catholic can't hold.. imagine if that was a list of offices a Jewish person couldn't hold..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

bilston wrote: »
    Was Benjamin Disraeli not Jewish?

Converted to Anglican before he became pm

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think she's going to resign.
    A lot of UK commentators seem to think it's just going to be a statement about how great this deal actually is, to try and calm down the impression that the HoC is on fire and the UK is without any real Government.

I'm inclined to go your way though. The door has been opened for her to throw her hands up and walk away. She's been left with nowhere to really turn, both by her own rhetoric, and by her party's intransigence.

Dytalus wrote: »
    Doesn't list Prime Minister. However:

If this is normally under the resonsibility of the PM, it may indirectly not allow a Catholic to be Prime Minister.

However, it only means RCs cannot advise on appointments to Church of England offices. I wouldn't have thought this was a task for the Prime Minister anyway.
    Pm is the principal advisor, they can't take roll from pm otherwise that person isn't the "pm"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Only the pm gets to call a referendum, yea?
    I assume she can't do this if there's a no confidence vote against her..
    So she'd have to do this before she's shafted..
    I assume she'd get pick the wording or choices...
    A 3 way question, hard brexit
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Deal brexit
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . Or Please please can we remain
    Would hand it to remain,
    But it still would rumble on,
    As the vote would be non binding, so the hard brexiteers just need to tick down a clock till March,
    The remainers need Parliament to vote to row back on article 50.. Which probably wouldn't be easy..
    And who would actually be in government pushing and steering things...

Game of thrones has nothing on this

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

lawred2 wrote: »
    How come not one Parliament has yet seen fit to purge that Roman Catholic sectarian crap from their books?

Seriously?

Because religion in the UK is fine as long as you keep it to yourself, so nobody knows or cares about those rules. The population at large would probably consider it along the same lines as the laws about being able to shoot someone with a long bow from the city walls on the 5th Thursday of the month if you are stood on one leg and called Brian. Everyone would just assume that it was one which could be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think it will be a rallying call speech about the benefits of the deal and maybe to get people to contact their local MP to support the deal .

All Eyes On Rafah

charlie14 wrote: »
    No law preventing a Catholic becoming BritishPM.

Blair practically was. Converted after he left politics but was a mass attender during his time as PM.
    Benjamin Disraeli born a jew was twice PM

Technically not equal to actually being. Both were Anglican for entire duration of their tenure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Leavers calling into LBC Radio apologising for their vote. One burst into tears.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/leave-voter-cries-apologises-for-brexit/

My god, this is really tough to listen to, the poor guy.

I am sure there are more and more people like Bill popping up all over the country.

Yeah, she's sticking and defending her deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Gauntlet thrown down to her challengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

robinph wrote: »
    Because religion in the UK is fine as long as you keep it to yourself, so nobody knows or cares about those rules. The population at large would probably consider it along the same lines as the laws about being able to shoot someone with a long bow from the city walls on the 5th Thursday of the month if you are stood on one leg and called Brian. Everyone would just assume that it was one which could be ignored.

Strike it out then.

robinph wrote: »

The latest addition to the saxe-coburg gotha cadet branch, aka the "royals", had to change he religion before she married harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

lawred2 wrote: »

Seriously?

A proscribed list of offices a Catholic can't hold.. imagine if that was a list of offices a Jewish person couldn't hold..
    It's a consequence of the mixing of church and state. If you have a look at the list of exclusions, all have a role in the established church.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ooh, that was a good first question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Kiith wrote: »
    Ooh, that was a good first question :)

Which she didn't answer.

• Advertisement

I thought the vote in commons was today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭flatty

Which she didn't answer.

I genuinely can never remember her answering a straight question on brexit with a straight answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I thought the vote in commons was today.

No. Vote isn't set but is expected to not be for a number of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that sounded like a "**** or get off the pot" to her challengers in the Conservative party and others.

No. Vote isn't set but is expected to not be for a number of weeks.

The EU summit is on 25th November. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Theresa May pretty clear there I think there is no chance of the backstop being reopened - that that would collapse negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

God Love her she's like a wounded dog with the way she is going full out answering questions in her own head.

She's never good but this is positively disconnected.

I think she has been pretty strong in this press conference, but I don't think it's going to be enough to make this work. Commons seems to have its mind made up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is like that scene in Mike Bassett where all the reporters are just repeatedly slagging him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

So unless there is a change in leader we go through with the EU summit, come back to parliament, deal gets voted down and off we go on another mad day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement