Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The EU summit is on 25th November. No?
    AFAIK the EU have asked for clarity by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This is like that scene in Mike Bassett where all the reporters are just repeatedly slagging him off.

If this is the scene with the reporters then what moment was her picking benson and hedges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The press corps seem to be fighting stunned silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Amirani wrote: »
    I think she has been pretty strong in this press conference, but I don't think it's going to be enough to make this work. Commons seems to have its mind made up already.

I think (given EVERYTHING) she can hold her head up.

Could anyone have delivered on this? At least she tried to grasp the nettle.
    Easy for JRM to berate her when all on his side ran for the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Scenario.

The ERG challenge May's leadership and May wins.

May then can't be challenged for another year.

May then loses the Commons vote on the deal.

She refuses to resign and can't be challenged.

What then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Scenario.

The ERG challenge May's leadership and May wins.

May then can't be challenged for another year.

May then loses the Commons vote on the deal.

She refuses to resign and can't be challenged.

What then?

If the point in bold happens, she'll resign or call for a GE while also announcing that she is not running for re-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Amirani wrote: »
    I think that's probably the best thing for her to do now. She lives or dies on whatever happens with these Brexit negotiations, so no points having a firewall anymore.

The negotiations with the EU are over. Done.

Finito.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You really have to hand it to the woman, she is showing great resilience. Anyone else would have fecked off to the hills by now and let the nutters at it.

I think the media is softening their stance a bit, they know now (after three years) how bad a no deal Brexit would be.

I think she is trying to explain in baby terms to the electorate who voted for Brexit, that this is how it is.

We are far more politically savvy here I think, not so much over there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Cricket analogies ? How very British. Although cricket analogies haven't always signaled good things for sitting prime ministers, given that Margaret thatcher's chancellor of the exchequer who's name escapes me used the one about broken bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Love her or hate her, Theresa May is a heavyweight fighter.

The question is how many punches can she take before she is knocked out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Cricket analogies ? How very British. Although cricket analogies haven't always signaled good things for sitting prime ministers, given that Margaret thatcher's chancellor of the exchequer who's name escapes me used the one about broken bats.

Geoffrey Howe

If the point in bold happens, she'll resign or call for a GE while also announcing that she is not running for re-election.
    She might, and any normal reading of this would say she would have to.

But then again, she might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Is the Commons vote a complete uncertainty at the moment or do we have a good indication which way it will do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

RobertKK wrote: »
    Love her or hate her, Theresa May is a heavyweight fighter.

The question is how many punches can she take before she is knocked out.

One of those hard slogging-fighters who picks an unbeatable opponent and keeps plugging away until they are eventually destroyed.

I mean she may as well have picked a fight with a brick wall for all the good she's done.

Is the Commons vote a complete uncertainty at the moment or do we have a good indication which way it will do?

The Guardian's current estimate is 405-224 against.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2018/nov/15/can-you-get-mays-brexit-deal-through-parliament

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

She is not a good politician, but I kind of am slightly warming towards her mainly due to the obnoxious power hungry clowns on the other side who have offered nothing feasible bar flying ponies for everyone.

I'd have liked it if she had called them out and said put up or shut up but hopefully she does that soon, so ****ing bored of this posturing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think she will be dragged kicking and screaming from Number 10

All Eyes On Rafah

Wow. That would be some trashing. :eek:

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Wow, I didn't realise there was such a gulf. I thought it would be much closer.

Her premiership can't survive that deal being defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Technically not equal to actually being. Both were Anglican for entire duration of their tenure

Still faik there is no legal impediment to a Catholic becoming PM.

Mind you as we are talking JRM here it is irrelevant.

As they say in Texas he is all hat and no cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Mourdant and Gove in number 10 at the minute. More resignations or new appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

EdgeCase wrote: »
    One of those hard slogging-fighters who picks an unbeatable opponent and keeps plugging away until they are eventually destroyed.

I mean she may as well have picked a fight with a brick wall for all the good she's done.

She built half the wall...

That is the core problem. Even helped put in the foundation course. And deserves praise for that ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We are far more politically savvy here I think, not so much over there though.

What you have to remember here is that the UK media operates in a way that Stalin could only dream of in that it appears free while trying to drip it's noxious agenda into the minds of every consumer.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

May now doggedly holding onto power in defense of this EU favoured deal is quite a good outcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is another danger here for the DUP if they keep trying to force this issue.

There won't be any agreement without the backstop - Theresa May has restated that.

It would be far easier for these Tory pantomime toffs to accept full separation for GB from EU rules and leaving NI completely on it's own in the customs union and single market.

In other words it could get even worse for northern unionists...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Theresa May pretty clear there I think there is no chance of the backstop being reopened - that that would collapse negotiations.

Not only that but she as good as admitted the UK have spent since last December fannying about on a backstop wasting their time that the knew had to be in the agreement or there was going to be no deal.
    Mind you after what she said on the backstop she doesn`t need to worry about the DUP burning the bridge anymore.

She burned it for them and bulldozed the ashes into the ravine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What you have to remember here is that the UK media operates in a way that Stalin could only dream of in that it appears free while trying to drip it's noxious agenda into the minds of every consumer.

I know, but it's a tribal thing there I believe. Guardian v Telegraph and so on.

I honestly think voters in UK don't have much knowledge or interest in politics because of the FPTP system. It's either Red or Blue, and no fantastic counts into the wee hours for the last seat. Then again there is only one seat per constituency there too.

There are pluses and minuses. The multi seat constituency SVT system here leads to a lot of potholes being fixed, as they are all trying to either win your vote or keep it.

Not much incentive to read up and get involved in FPTP areas if safe seats abound and your potholes will remain unfilled!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I do kind of feel sorry for May and do admire her tenacity at this stage.
    At the same it is hard to forget the Lancaster gate speech, the "no deal" is better than a bad deal nonsense. It was obvious bluff to the EU and to anyone with any idea of reality. But certain sections of the electorate lapped it up.
    A bit more honesty earlier might be a help now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    May now doggedly holding onto power in defense of this EU favoured deal is quite a good outcome!

Ivan Yates says he reckons she's playing a clever game : hunker down and dare anyone to topple her.....could be that they falter before she does

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Ivan Yates says he reckons she's playing a clever game : hunker down and dare anyone to topple her.....could be that they falter before she does

To be fair, people have been predicting her doom since day one, and so far she has always survived.

All Eyes On Rafah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement