Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not at all, I would ask them why they didn't do it sooner.

But you're not a SF voter. Their voters want them to abstain from Westminster politics. You know that.

Can we please stop bring up SF in Westminster?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

So, a Scottish unionist group conducts a poll, and finds 60% of Scots would vote No to independence - unfortunately for them, it falls to 57/43 if the UK exits with a deal, and 52/48 if, as could well happen, it leaves without one! Moreover, SNP support has increased, with both Labour and the Tories down:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll-60-of-scots-would-back-remain-in-new-scottish-independence-vote-1-4832164

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

breatheme wrote: »
    But you're not a SF voter. Their voters want them to abstain from Westminster politics. You know that.

Like all Labour voters want the same things that Corbyn wants, or Conservative want the same things as May claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

breatheme wrote: »

SF in Westminister is a question that is being asked all over the place.

Their voters wanted them to lead a government in Stormont. That didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mc Love wrote: »
    How could you vote for a party that wont even take their seats in parliament, might as well not vote.

I have never voted for them nor would I ever.

Not that that would matter. I just hate this same circular argument that has been levelled at them that Britain is in such a mess and they alone can fix it. Them and their 7 seats.

Most of you contributing to this same circular argument need to to just sit back and appreciate the nonsense you're spouting.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    If the state of politics is this bad, that whole political movements would emerge just to vote the opposite of what Sinn Fein want, then there truly is no hope for the UK.

But the state of politics in Britain is THAT bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

And then there's the voters who voted against immigration.

And then there's the voters who voted against immigration from the EU in order to get more immigration from third countries.

You could probably swing a new referendum by pointing out that Brexit won't change the amount of immigration, just where people come from.

Has any major UK employer recommended May's deal over remain ?

Curry houses feel betrayed after telling their European workers to fnck right off. And funnily enough they are.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/naan-starter-uk-curry-restaurants-feel-betrayed-by-brexit
    Curry restaurant owners, who as an industry backed the campaign to leave the European Union after assurances it would lead to more visas for South Asian cooks, feel betrayed. They're angry that they helped deliver the vote to Leave only to have the government fail to deliver on promises to help save their industry. Rather than easing the shortage, Brexit is likely to make the situation worse by cutting off the flow of East European workers who have increasingly filled the gaps in recent years.

"What's happening since Brexit is even more restaurants are closing; we can't get people from anywhere," said Oli Khan, the senior vice president of the Bangladesh Caterers Association UK and a celebrity chef. "Curry houses are in danger."

Korma is a bitch. (See what I did there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

cml387 wrote: »

It's a technical amendment I believe, and was passed.

It may be DUP posturing on a non-vital amendment to the finance bill.

However it is a straw in the wind.

Apparently this was a Labour amendment.
    They couldn't muster the votes to defeat the government.
    Corbyn didn't vote, he wasn't there.

Not exactly a stellar evening for Labour.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lawred2 wrote: »
    The DUP can do their union loving pantomime to full effect while still privately banking on the Irish government delivering an open border situation..
    They can bank on the Irish govt all they want but it's not really up to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It's also the business of their constituents who voted for them not to take up their Westminster seats.

Blanch, you'd be the first to criticise SF for flip flopping and taking their seats. So hop off the horse.
    Ah now,was stormont ,the Dáil and Strasbourg a flip flop?

Anyway it wouldn't be a flip flop if they held information meetings in their constituencies regarding their new strategy and the limit of it
    It's *not* that difficult

• Advertisement

SF in Westminister is a question that is being asked all over the place.

Their voters wanted them to lead a government in Stormont. That didn't happen.

Let it be asked. Haven't SF answered it? Repeatedly!

Who's keeping them out of Stormont... I'll give you a clue, they're propping up the Tories at the minute.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Ah now,was stormont ,the Dáil and Strasbourg a flip flop?

Anyway it wouldn't be a flip flop if they held information meetings in their constituencies regarding their new strategy and the limit of it
    It's *not* that difficult

You seem to have all the answers. Get on to Mary Lou there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There was some leader of the NI Chamber of Commerce, or business executive or some such, on Six1 yesterday, stating that NI has been left in limbo, no clarity, the government aren't listening, the agri sector will be hit really hard etc etc.

The thing that stood out for me is why have they sat by so idly throughout all of this? Where are the protests, the marches etc when the DUP continue to spout that they would rather a no deal that any split from the UK?

There has hardly been a peep out of the population in regards to the very real possibility of a hard border.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There was some leader of the NI Chamber of Commerce, or business executive or some such, on Six1 yesterday, stating that NI has been left in limbo, no clarity, the government aren't listening, the agri sector will be hit really hard etc etc.

The thing that stood out for me is why have they sat by so idly throughout all of this? Where are the protests, the marches etc when the DUP continue to spout that they would rather a no deal that any split from the UK?

There has hardly been a peep out of the population in regards to the very real possibility of a hard border.

Indeed, unionism is at the heart of agri and business sector in northern Ireland, where is the fall in support for the harbingers of Brexit? Crazy stuff really.
    Personally I think the unionist and particularly the DUP breed of unionist does not like their pocket being hit. I expect to see a big kick back against them.
    As for SF, I agree with Bambi, why interrupt if your enemy is making a huge mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The problem is that where it would have been sensible for the UUP to back the deal as fulfilling the referendum result, while meeting the economic interests of NI, they've instead chosen to row in behind Arlene. As for Alliance, while they come across in the Republic as literally a middle-of-the-road party, many unionists think they're too close to nationalists, which limits their potential.

But Dublin have been looking out for the north at every turn?

That's likely the "why"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You seem to have all the answers. Get on to Mary Lou there.

Isn't my point,that there's not much point in doing that unless there's a eureka Damascus m50 moment
    Political anorexia
    Its exactly like having food in front of you when you're hungry and saying oh no I won't eat that,I might be seen or get fat
    Meanwhile you starve
    Pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I see Theresa May now scrapping the barrell with her comments today on immigrants.

proper UKIP that!

fook her... she gets everything she deserves now as far as I am concerned. Not that I was holding any sort of hope for her just there was no need to stoop that low when she herself knows the real issues here.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Isn't my point,that there's not much point in doing that unless there's a eureka Damascus m50 moment
    Political anorexia
    Its exactly like having food in front of you when you're hungry and saying oh no I won't eat that,I might be seen or get fat
    Meanwhile you starve
    Pointless

It's absolutely none of those things. But okie doke.

Let it be asked. Haven't SF answered it? Repeatedly!

Who's keeping them out of Stormont... I'll give you a clue, they're propping up the Tories at the minute.

A government could be formed any time if Sinn Fein withdrew their red lines. May has already learned how difficult putting down red lines can be, a pity she hadn't seen how it could mess up Sinn Fein and learn from it.

• Advertisement

People are forgetting that for the economy of Northern Ireland, a hard border on this island is the second worst option. The worst option is a hard border on the Irish Sea.

They have a complete Hobson's Choice and the only solution that makes sense for Northern Ireland is for the whole of the UK to stay within the CU and SM. If it has to be a hard Brexit, it is better for them to leave with the UK, than stay with the South.

It is a different calculation down South.

People are forgetting that for the economy of Northern Ireland, a hard border on this island is the second worst option. The worst option is a hard border on the Irish Sea.
    Can you please explain how a watery border would be worse than one separating the Republic from NI?

Can you please explain how a watery border would be worse than one separating the Republic from NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I see Theresa May now scrapping the barrell with her comments today on immigrants.

proper UKIP that!

fook her... she gets everything she deserves now as far as I am concerned. Not that I was holding any sort of hope for her just there was no need to stoop that low when she herself knows the real issues here.
    Thanks for mentioning it - I hadn't read it. There is a piece on the BBC about it here. Some choice quotes:
    BBC wrote:
    Theresa May is facing a backlash after she said EU workers would no longer be able to "jump the queue" after Brexit.

SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon said the PM's words were "disgraceful" and EU citizens living in the UK said they would fuel hate crimes against them.

The comments came in a speech to business leaders on Monday, in which she vowed to end EU free movement after Brexit.
    And this is the best line:
    It will no longer be the case that EU nationals, regardless of the skills or experience they have to offer, can jump the queue ahead of engineers from Sydney or software developers from Delhi
    Yes, it's a disgrace that plumbers from Poland are getting jobs as software developers ahead of qualified people from India! rolleyes.png

I've heard Theresa May being protrayed before as having nasty tendencies (Windrush and all that). This won't help those who say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1064915386569760768

Excellent thread here on the revival of Max Fac in which the author proposes that May is aware it's nonsense but is playing along. 'No of course I believe in Santa it the nasty EU that doesn't. I'll tell you want you run along and prove Santa is real and while you're at that I'll pretend to the EU we are on board'

A government could be formed any time if Sinn Fein withdrew their red lines. May has already learned how difficult putting down red lines can be, a pity she hadn't seen how it could mess up Sinn Fein and learn from it.

I'm sorry. You make out that what SF wanted in return for going back in with that crowd from 1690 was something unachievable and completely beyond the pale.

Remember been a deal was done to go back to Stormont but was pulled by the DUP London cohort?

I know it's a toughie for you and your internalised Brutonesque Unionist apologetics, but sometimes SF aren't the big bad crocodiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

DUP are being eviscerated by business and Industry groups in the North at the moment.
    True unionists in Northern Ireland must feel very lonely at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

DUP are being eviscerated by business and Industry groups in the North at the moment.
    True unionists in Northern Ireland must feel very lonely at this moment.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1064938824172806144

BoJo will keep them company

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1064915386569760768

Excellent thread here on the revival of Max Fac in which the author proposes that May is aware it's nonsense but is playing along.

...And the Brexiteers were already pretending it could work. They were trying to spoof the EU, now they just have to spoof their supporters long enough to get away with backing May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

ERG Groups failure to get 48 letters and the reaction to DUP approach in the North must be playing in to Theresa's hands in a big way.
    Even the EU getting the other 27 countries to accept the agreement before she goes to Brussels tomorrow helps her as she can genuinely point to the EU not being willing to rework what is on the table at this point.

Her whips must be burning the ears of everyone on these points enforcing the message that this is it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement