Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The CTA predates the EU. Why would a hard border negate the CTA?

As part of the CTA both the UK an Ireland are commiting to allow free movement between the two countries. As soon as one of the two countries permanently reinstates border checks that country is in breach of that commitment and the CTA is effectively dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Bob24, the cta is irrelevant in this case. It deals with the movement of people.

The backstop is required in respect of the movement of goods. Customs. Not passport check. Even with the existence of the CTA, we had customs checks at the border prior to the single market. Customs union actually not enough as unless NI de facto complies with internal market regulations there will still need to be checks on goods moving across he border. CTA is people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bob24 wrote: »
    As part of the CTA both the UK an Ireland are commiting to allow free movement between the two countries. As soon as one of the two countries permanently reinstates border checks that country is in breach of that commitment and the CTA is dead.

The CTA is restricted to UK citizens and Irish citizens so I do not see you argument

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

briany wrote: »
    English Brexiteers will probably be happy enough to see the UK crumble in order to get a clean break from the EU.

Yes but TM will not want to go down in history as the PM who broke up the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Yes but TM will not want to go down in history as the PM who broke up the UK.

She might go down as that in the capsule version of history, but it would have been a tad more complicated than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The CTA is restricted to UK citizens and Irish citizens so I do not see you argument

Actually Chinese and Indian nationals with certain visa types are also allowed to cross the CTA freely as well as national of many countries which have visa free access to both the UK and Ireland.

But yeah to also clarify what I meant, while not only that the CTA is very much an instrument to deliver a border free Ireland. And as I mentioned it would be very easy for the UK to force us to either rebel within the EU to bring new solutions or have to choose between breaking that border free Ireland or being in breach with EU rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Calina wrote: »
    Bob24, the cta is irrelevant in this case. It deals with the movement of people.

The backstop is required in respect of the movement of goods. Customs. Not passport check. Even with the existence of the CTA, we had customs checks at the border prior to the single market. Customs union actually not enough as unless NI de facto complies with internal market regulations there will still need to be checks on goods moving across he border. CTA is people.
    Exactly, I remember in the 70s as a child my parents buying whisky in the north at Christmas time, they weren't worried about the soldiers on the border it was the customs post in lifford that was the concern. Them feckers could lift the whisky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Leroy42 wrote:
    The CTA predates the EU. Why would a hard border negate the CTA?

Everything pre-dates what comes after it. New laws supercede old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

First Up wrote: »
    Everything pre-dates what comes after it. New laws supercede old ones.

Not in this case. The CTA is not part of the EU, totally separate.

It has nothing to do with any of this.

It is not even a formal agreement, but it suits both parties so has continued on as before. A border in NI, as it was there before, will not alter it in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the border checks between RoI and NI were to be purely economic, then that wouldn't affect the GFA, would it? If Irish nationalists in the North can travel to the RoI and back unimpeded (as private persons), then their right to assert their identity hasn't been lessened any. This would still be sh*tty for businesses who operate across the border, but were those provided for in the GFA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Bob24 wrote: »
    As part of the CTA both the UK an Ireland are commiting to allow free movement between the two countries. As soon as one of the two countries permanently reinstates border checks that country is in breach of that commitment and the CTA is effectively dead.

The CTA refers to people, and we will most likely not enforce residency/citizenship checks.

However it's also pertinent to consider what will be happening elsewhere throughout the UK whilst we deal along our border with the fallout of a no-deal. If the Britush government think they can ignore our insignificant (in their eyes) border then the pincer grip of the ferries, airports, and import/export industry throughout the constituencies that actually elect them might soften their cough.

Leroy42 wrote:
    Not in this case. The CTA is not part of the EU, totally separate.

It has nothing to do with any of this.

It is not even a formal agreement, but it suits both parties so has continued on as before. A border in NI, as it was there before, will not alter it in anyway.

It is not sacrosanct and it has everything to do with this. The CTA was an extension of the pre-1922 situation when Ireland was part of the UK. None of the political developments in Europe since then have conflicted with it and EU membership actually re-inforced it.

A hard Brexit and restrictions on travel into the UK potentially change the dynamic and the CTA is not immune from such developments. The map of Europe has changed many times; countries have been created and many borders have been erected where there was none before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So it existed before the EU, nothing within the EU changed it and yet somehow you think that going back to pre EU days takes it away?

Of course the UK can decide not to continue with it, but it has nothing to do with Brexit per se.

But at no point have the UK said they want to change the CTA, and Ireland doesn't. That is why it is irrelevant. That someone might try to leverage it in as part of the process is of course possible, but since it has nothing to do with the EU I fail to see how it would make any difference to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

We could see talks go right down to the wire in March, with art. 50 extended to facilitate ratification

I think that if Barnier lands a deal by Christmas, the 27+ national parliaments will probably pass it to get this phase over with (and securing the divorce payment may be a consideration).

If the UK play silly buggers and try to push WA talks into 2019 and ask for an Article 50 extension, I can see individual parliaments thinking "Hey, if they can get all this attention, why shouldn't we?" and starting to make extra demands. If that starts, they are out on their ears in March, there won't be time to deal with any such demands.
    i cannot see the germans having the patience to have this go into 2019

Leroy42 wrote:
    So it existed before the EU, nothing within the EU changed it and yet somehow you think that going back to pre EU days takes it away?

Of course the UK can decide not to continue with it, but it has nothing to do with Brexit per se.

I'm saying that waving the CTA is not a defence against the UK shutting up shop as part of its post-Brexit relationship with the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

BBC's Andrew Neil is chairman of The Spectator. Here's this week's cover:

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1052546673711435776

Add to that the Today Programme's John Humphrys offering his daily dose of Brexiteer spin, dismissing the UK's promise over the Backstop, and it's apparent that influential forces in the British media are happy to push a narrative that concerns over the border are not to be taken seriously, and that the EU are simply using it to make life difficult for the UK.

Really sad the state of discourse across the water and I suspect we'll hear this type of commentary ramp up over the coming weeks. It will need to be challenged and Coveney did well dealing with it from Humphrys. Hopefully the EU will continue to support us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Asmooh wrote: »
    Compare housing prices for example IRE vs NI...
    Compare cars
    Compare Electronics
    Compare taxes
    Compare electricity
    And much more
    what about income, why no mention of that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BBC's Andrew Neil is chairman of The Spectator. Here's this week's cover
    How or whom exactly is EU suppose to use Ireland to divide and rule? It's not like the Tories/Labour/DUP are pushing for the EU preferred solution or anything like that 18 months in...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

BBC's Andrew Neil is chairman of The Spectator. Here's this week's cover:

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1052546673711435776

Add to that the Today Programme's John Humphrys offering his daily dose of Brexiteer spin, dismissing the UK's promise over the Backstop, and it's apparent that influential forces in the British media are happy to push a narrative that concerns over the border are not to be taken seriously, and that the EU are simply using it to make life difficult for the UK.

Really sad the state of discourse across the water and I suspect we'll hear this type of commentary ramp up over the coming weeks. It will need to be challenged and Coveney did well dealing with it from Humphrys. Hopefully the EU will continue to support us as well.

The Spectator cover has the NI border in the wrong place. Surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

briany wrote: »
    She might go down as that in the capsule version of history, but it would have been a tad more complicated than that.

TM is on course to be one of the most incompetent PMs in history. She took over with a slim but workable majority and a job to do, to deliver a workable Brexit.

She decided to activate Article 50 in March 2017. She saw a surge in poll numbers supporting the Tories on the back of nationalistic fervour so she decided to hold a snap election which massively backfired due to her terrible campaign strategy and left her 13 seats short of where she was, and 9 seats short of forming a government.

So rather than form a moderate coalition in the national interest, she shook hands with with the DU effin P, (using a billion £ bribe of public funds). She has spent the last year bumbling from place to place making statements and immediately backpedaling on them, appointing incompetent and dangerous spoofers like Boris Johnson to cabinet and generally doing everything to preserve her own tenure as PM and keep her infighting party intact and nothing to protect the interests of her country or the peace so delicately negotiated only 20 years ago.

Her legacy now is whether she presides over a mere calamity, or a genuine catastrophe, because I can't think of a single positive thing she has actually achieved

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »

But at no point have the UK said they want to change the CTA, and Ireland doesn't. That is why it is irrelevant. That someone might try to leverage it in as part of the process is of course possible, but since it has nothing to do with the EU I fail to see how it would make any difference to them.
    This has confused me from the start. If there is free movement of people from EU to republic, free movement of people from republic to ni (not counting goods) free move from ni to Britain.
    How is that not free movement of people from EU to Britain. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it gets worse for the Tories. Their voting bloc is dying off while the system which is supposed to be continuously lining up the next generation of Conservative voters is failing catastrophically. If it weren't, we wouldn't have had the vote to Leave. Allegedly, Theresa May was known as a competent administrator before she became PM. Administrators aren't leaders. They're the people who keep things together until the next manager is found.

May has proposed no vision for Britain beyond soundbytes. Brexit is the biggest problem facing the UK but it isn't the only one. There's rampant economic inequality, an aging population, austerity, food banks, etc. I don't really know what Mayism is beyond a fetish for state surveillance and an end to individual privacy.

I don't blame her for calling an election in 2017. She had a minuscule majority. I blame her for ceding huge amounts of power to two unelected "chiefs", Fiona Hill and Nick Timothy who were reviled in Westminster. Timothy co-wrote the manifesto with Ben Gumner and kept even senior Conservatives out of the loop. Thus, we ended up with a well intentioned but politically disastrous attempt to rebalance the inherent inequality of British society by having seniors shoulder some of the burden for their care. It's frightening that they only lost a dozen or so seats. Or FPTP. Who knows?

In other news, Boris Johnson has lingered on because remains popular with Conservative voters and party members. From YouGov:

Boris%20Johnson%20favourability%20tracker-01.png

Boris%20Johnson%20favourability%20tracker-01.png

Jacob%20Rees%20Mogg%20favourability%20tracker-01.png

Source.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

joe40 wrote: »
    This has confused me from the start. If there is free movement of people from EU to republic, free movement of people from republic to ni (not counting goods) free move from ni to Britain.
    How is that not free movement of people from EU to Britain. Maybe I'm missing something.

free movement of Irish and UK citizens between the two islands without need for visas etc

lawred2 wrote: »
    joe40 wrote: »

free movement of Irish and UK citizens between the two islands without need for visas etc
    But how do you check if they are irish or UK citizens without border checks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Tajani, President of European Parliament: EU wants agreement but not at any price, if no agreement on Ireland, Parliament will reject treaty. Nothing substantially new in May's content, four freedoms can't be divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What are the best twitter accounts to watch tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I watched Channel 4 news this evening, Prescott got an easy ride from the interviewer, maybe he was afraid of getting a punch if he went too hard. Mairead McGuinness followed him.

Constantly interrupted and cut off. She was well able for him. The TV media in general really have bought into the them vs us narrative.

flutered wrote:
    what about income, why no mention of that

Or job prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'd that an ironic cover from the Spectator? The UK has been attempting divide and conquer across the continent for two years on this, briefing against Ireland (i somehow doubt the Spectator mentions that).

I don't understand how someone as partisan as Neil is allowed on the so called balanced BBC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Just listening to the Irish times podcast today. On top of Coveney on the interview earlier barely holding in his frustration, Fintan O'Toole seems on the verge of going wtf are they doing. I know O'Toole can be...passionate, on a topic, but when you consider Ireland has so much to lose on this and then you have major politicians and commentators on the verge of losing it because the UK doesn't understand their own bloody country I'm amazed that the negotiations have actually gone this far without collapse.

Can we send Westminster the junior cert history section of our old textbooks, because a quick read of those once over the past two years might have helped them understand the serious issues, in their own damn country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement