Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Well, if Barnier says it you'd have to assume that he could deliver. Basically, in the context of staying in the CU and the SM, he said that if Britain shifted its red lines during the transition period then the EU would shift its red lines to accommodate them in remaining.

It isn't Barnier's call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Akrasia wrote: »
    Really? Is that legally sound? (Cause you can guarantee it would be challenged in court)

Well, if Barnier says it you'd have to assume that he could deliver. Basically, in the context of staying in the CU and the SM, he said that if Britain shifted its red lines during the transition period then the EU would shift its red lines to accommodate them in remaining.
    I wouldnt mind seeing a source for this. Elements of it sound more like Tusk but not the commitment to the EU moving its redlines. As they are based in the EU body of law there is really limited room here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Calina wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind seeing a source for this. Elements of it sound more like Tusk but not the commitment to the EU moving its redlines. As they are based in the EU body of law there is really limited room here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-updates-uk-eu-single-market-customs-union-leave-a8300811.html

Maybe. I can only assume he knows his brief.

flutered wrote: »
    their self importance is a mile high, also they cannot understand that a european politician says what he means and means what they say

I remember the Indian High Commissioner said immediately after Brexit that India would be very happy to strike a trade deal but that increased immigration into Britain from India would have to part of the deal. Ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Barnier made it clear that Britain can change its mind until the end of the transition period and that the EU will allow them to remain.

When and where did he do so? My understanding was post March 29 they are out

When and where did he do so? My understanding was post March 29 they are out

See post 666.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

https://twitter.com/shufflepaw/status/1052634571345399808

VERY interesting point.

How can the UK do a free trade deal with USA if there is a frictionless border on the island of Ireland!?
    Where is the Irish American lobby these days?

Wow! If true, the Brexiteers and DUP will go ape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

the main players got it very right re the tip offs from the exit polls

Was it not more a case of a polling agency giving a tip off which "accidentally" reversed the figures for remain and leave that resulted in the main players getting it very right financially ?

A polling agency by sheer coincidence that some of the same players were involved in,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Let's not forget that there were many in Britain who gleefully predicted a pro-Brexit vote would precipitate the breakup of the EU.

During the negotiations Britain has barefacedly tried to go over the negotiating team's heads and wedge off individual member states. Perhaps the only reason the EU has been so damn patient with GB is that it is committed to causing as little harm as possible to Ireland.

The British have done nothing but try to sow discord in the EU and now, when that chaos strategy has failed, they throw their toys out of their pram over the north being offered a special deal the British would love to have and the DUP are too stupid to agree to.

The really do not deserve any quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If she acknowledged that the backstop cannot be time limited, why is there no summit in November as per other tweets? Its going to be an interesting evening with the drip of news that will come out.

In other news, the knives are out again for May as it has been many times before,

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1052660704493412352

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That article looks like he's offering extended access to the CU and SM but not offering extended EU membership or a reversal of Brexit beyond march next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

charlie14 wrote: »
    the main players got it very right re the tip offs from the exit polls

Was it not more a case of a polling agency giving a tip off which "accidentally" reversed the figures for remain and leave that resulted in the main players getting it very right financially ?  

A polling agency by sheer coincidence that some of the same players were involved in,
    which is what i meant, they had inside track and used it

Sterling reacting now. Taking a bit of a dive as news trickles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Daily Express screaming about betrayal. Always a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It might be better if enough letters were sent in, and the Tory boil lanced. Let the Brexiteers shoot their bolt and let see their numbers.

See post 666.

Bit unfortunate that it just happened to be that post number.

That article looks like he's offering extended access to the CU and SM but not offering extended EU membership or a reversal of Brexit beyond march next year

That's my reading of it too

• Advertisement

Sterling reacting now. Taking a bit of a dive as news trickles out.

I would have thought with talk of a longer transition period sterling would have gone the other way ?

I think that the EU and Remainers would be very happy if the UK changed their position and negotiated to remain in the SM and the CU at this stage. However, as things stand, the point is moot unless there is a volte face by the Tories or a Europhile party is elected. A plus is that the possibility of an extra year is already winding the Brexiteers up, which is nice.

Bit unfortunate that it just happened to be that post number.

The devil is in the detail.

DptlmApXUAAY2bx.jpg:small

It gets nuttier and nuttier. It's amazing they don't get the concept that UK is simply being treated as just a 3rd country now and Ireland is a member state.

DptlmApXUAAY2bx.jpg:small

It gets nuttier and nuttier. It's amazing they don't get the concept that UK is simply being treated as just a 3rd country now and Ireland is a member state.

The obligatory snide dig at Juncker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kuro68k wrote: »
    Some people will get rich from this. It's good for them.

Some people will see a soft ethnic cleansing as Johnny Foreigner leaves.

All the others are just deluded idiots.
    The ethnic cleansing folk are deuded idiots too.

Brexit: EU migrants won't get special treatment, May saysThere may be less immigration because of the economic effects.
    Otherwise all that will happen is that more of the immigration will come from outside of the EU. Which is what a lot of Asians voted for in the referendum.

Anyone who's upset about Polish people will be really upset later. Oh and the French are basically going tit-for-tat on visas. Be interesting to see if southern Europe follows their lead on the ex-pats. Yes they could apply to stay, but UK charge some serious fees for stuff like that so maybe they would too. And there's the whole mess of UK pension funds paying ex-pats.

Aviva to transfer administration of UK policies to Ireland
    , policies will no longer qualify for protection under the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme. Instead, Aviva says similar protections can be offered by the Irish Insurance Compensation Fund.
    Interesting, do they automatically get Irish protection or what will it cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wow! If true, the Brexiteers and DUP will go ape.
    First Up wrote: »
    Daily Express screaming about betrayal. Always a good sign.

I'll believe it when the backstop is applied, there's plenty of time for a gammon-flavoured amendment making it illegal to make it through the HoC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Aviva to transfer administration of UK policies to Ireland Interesting, do they automatically get Irish protection or what will it cost ?

I got a letter last week regarding a policy I have with them and how it's being moved to being Irish administered.

I guess it's pretty much the equivalent of a boiler plate move, but Aviva have a large business within Ireland so for someone like them it's just shuffling files.

I would have thought with talk of a longer transition period sterling would have gone the other way ?

No deal is the most likely outcome at the moment. No deal means no transition. Hence the nose dive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

O'Toole was excellent on The View last week too. You can really sense his frustration at times.

I'm not a 'believer' in all things O'Toole, but I think he's captured the essence of the problem of Brexit (a display of English Nationalism) really well in pieces he's written and interviews he's given too.

A very eloquent insightful discussion.

And very close to the mark.

You'd miss the rationality of the UUP in public discourse at this stage really..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement