Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

God knows what she'll say at 15:30. She has already stated multiple times that the WA is final and can't be renegotiated. Will it be another u turn?

Never thought this shambles would turn into an even more chaotic shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

devnull wrote: »
    May is going to demand removal of the backstop according to reports or say there will be no deal.

Meanwhile, some Tory MPs are going to try and stop her calling off the vote.

Honestly, at this stage it's laughable.

Fair enough, the EU know they haven't prepared so is well placed to call chicken on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

briany wrote: »
    If there'd been an order of preference and a transferable vote, then *maybe* that could have worked, but UK voters on average wouldn't have the patience or political education to research all the choices on offer.

Thus showing up the problem with the whole thing in the first place, reducing such a complex question with the myriad of variables affecting it down to a simple yes or no and requiring a simply 50.1% majority is insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

listermint wrote: »
    Anyone claiming that UK IP will suddenly get widespread backing doesn't have a clue about the reality of it.

So, who will Conservative and Labour Brexiteers vote for if they end up feeling sold out by their traditional representatives? The BNP? Would they form their own party based on Britain's withdrawal from the EU? Wait a minute...

Would they disengage from the political process entirely? That could be a dangerous development because it might mean they just choose to express themselves in a more direct, possibly disruptive, way. Would they just get back in their box and get on with things? Doubtful, as the cat seems fairly well out of the bag at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Jobs first Brexit from Labour has the potential to annoy even more than "the will of the people" from Mogg etc the more I hear it. Utter bollocks.
    That and "frictionless trade" - whatever *that* means.

Honestly, why can't people understand that sloganeering and legal prose are different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

God knows what she'll say at 15:30. She has already stated multiple times that the WA is final and can't be renegotiated. Will it be another u turn?

Never thought this shambles would turn into an even more chaotic shambles.

Its scary stuff. I have no words left... What could happen next?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

VinLieger wrote: »
    briany wrote: »
    If there'd been an order of preference and a transferable vote, then *maybe* that could have worked, but UK voters on average wouldn't have the patience or political education to research all the choices on offer.

Thus showing up the problem with the whole thing in the first place, reducing such a complex question with the myriad of variables affecting it down to a simple yes or no and requiring a simply 50.1% majority is insanity

And that can be traced back to Cameron's hubris when he assumed Leave would never won.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Probably the only party leader left worthy of the title in British politics.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Fair enough, the EU know they haven't prepared so is well placed to call chicken on that.

This is the hilarious problem, they have been so public about everything they have done regards the negotiations and everything they haven't done to as regards preparations that they literally have no cards left to play. They are constantly showing their hand to everyone else sitting at the table.

They think threatening us with no deal implications will work while not having a clue we've spent 2 years preparing behind the scenes for that very eventuality. It will hurt us but nowhere near as much as they think and definitely nowhere nears as much as it will actually hurt them.

Plus in the case of no deal weve got 26 mates looking out for us still that have had our back the entire time, they've got nobody.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

God knows what she'll say at 15:30.
    "I've had enough of you lot, I'm resigning and moving to Ibiza."

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »

Eastenders has nothing on the drama that Brexit has become.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Well knowing May I'd not be surprised if she insists EU should pay UK for the benefit of remaining or some such...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1072127158292750338
    She said 'risks are too great' and she is going back to Brussels to secure 'legally-binding assurance' we won't be trapped in backstop indefinitely

I mean...seriously? Backstop is "unless and until", it's not indefinite. There's nothing to add to it, it clearly says that applies until UK can solve the border issue with magic technology.

Tweet from Guy Verhofstadt. Everyone's getting confused........

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1072129699449589760

Everyone claiming we would be screwed at the 11th hour can eat their hats now i believe

McGiver wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1072127158292750338

I mean...seriously? Backstop is "unless and until", it's not indefinite. There's nothing to add to it, it clearly says that applies until UK can solve the border issue with magic technology.

Let's say that the UK had a workable technological solution. Could the EU just arbitrarily say, "Not good enough"? Like, is there a feeling on the UK side that the EU could/would kibosh any technological proposals no matter how good they were, thereby keeping the backstop arrangement going indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Jobs first Brexit from Labour has the potential to annoy even more than "the will of the people" from Mogg etc the more I hear it. Utter bollocks.

It's a strong and stable mantra to be fair. :)

---

Still can't figure out how keir Starmer is keeping his mouth shut after that Corbyn gibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

From that tweet chain, a yougov poll graphic:

DuD4tXuW0AU3YRl.jpg

Anyone spot whats missing?

but they included the Shetland Islands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

devnull wrote: »
    May is going to demand removal of the backstop according to reports or say there will be no deal.

Some Tory MPs are going to try and stop her calling off the vote.

Meanwhile, Labour are still living in fantasy land and talking about being in government on Wednesday.

Honestly, at this stage it's laughable.

This is loony bin stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Euro dolla' reaches 90 new pennies today.

The new Primark store in the North (had 1,000 cutomers on it's 1st hour of reopening)
    is now considering self-checkout tills, and customer service droid-bots, for folks considering buying x6 dozen packs of black socks
    - just for the price of the tip of the hat and one of those cafe sized mini-packet of euro-butter.

• Advertisement

Did the annual booze run to Newry today. Crazy busy for a Monday. Came out the back way from the Quays and then up by Flagstaff hill to get back on the motorway as quickly as possible. It meant crossing a potential EU/non-EU frontier 4 times. How awkward will this journey be in the event of a crash out Brexit in a little over 3 months I wonder....?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

WTF is going through these people's minds
    https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1072131209231298560

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hurrache wrote: »
    WTF is going through these people's minds
    Well to be fair this is very much in TMs style of "do anything, say anything and promise anything" to remain as a PM. This buys her some more time in the hope a magical unicorn will come and save her; fully in line with the anything but having to take a decisive decision that could see her ousted now rather than tomorrow basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So let me see...

Is the vote going ahead now?

Is she still making a statement at 1530?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Pound showing very close to .91 for a Euro on xe.com

panic boys its red alert

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What could the purpose of delaying tomorrow's vote be other than to call a general election?

May and EU have been saying for at least 2 weeks now that this is the best deal - so no point delaying to try to get a new deal.
    May has no chance of flipping all Torys back to her side and getting the DUP on side as well (which is effectively what it looks like she's have to do to get this deal over the line) - no delay is going to assist her with this.

I'm not going to be going to the bookies, but I have a feeling it's a resignation announcement at 15:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'm not going to be going to the bookies, but I have a feeling it's a resignation announcement at 15:30.
    no I am expecting some sort of Neville Chamberlain trip to Munich "I have in my hand a piece of paper"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What could the purpose of delaying tomorrow's vote be other than to call a general election?

Maybe she wanted to hold the vote and lose by a small enough margin. Watch the markets fall and then hold a second vote where MPs will take her side to stop the damage to the economy.
    Trying to stall now that she will lose by too many votes to try to have the HOC vote on it a second time.

May and EU have been saying for at least 2 weeks now that this is the best deal - so no point delaying to try to get a new deal.
    May has no chance of flipping all Torys back to her side and getting the DUP on side as well (which is effectively what it looks like she's have to do to get this deal over the line) - no delay is going to assist her with this.

Sorry FS but I think you give TM to much credit in the character and backbone department there. She'll make another statement like the one after the fiasco in Salzburg about hearing the people, stubborn woman etc. and some faux outrage to show the Brexiteers she means business and do the whole dance & show about the new deal she's promising she'll sort out. The reason for the delay is because of her renegotiation as she now understands "how important it is for people" or some such and it will buy her time until after the new year basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

She has nothing left to lose, her political career will be over after brexit. Might as well hold on and see how long a no confidence vote takes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement