Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I'm not going to be going to the bookies, but I have a feeling it's a resignation announcement at 15:30.

Can't see it, even with a generous 3/1 for 2018 exit.
    She's a stubborn and determined Catholic as you will ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Presume she's going to Europe tomorrow to give them what for/beg for scraps on the backstop (a backsop?) that she can sell back to the HOC

I reckon the British MP's genuinely cant accept that the EU might throw the UK under the bus rather than us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Water John wrote: »
    If TM delays vote until the New Year, what she wants to push is my Deal or Crash out.
    Time for Parliament to take control from her hands, in that case.

Parliament could also vote to reverse article 50 so there is 3 choices available to the UK right now. It really depends what Theresa May wants. I wonder if she will realize by changing the course of Brexit that she may just stay until 2022 as PM as the ERG doesn't have enough votes to remove her and she can then focus on domestic politics rather than Brexit.

bilston wrote: »
    A second referendum could be very dangerous. While it may become the only option, I think other alternatives need to be looked at first...and I say that as a Remainer. A narrow Remain victory could leave some very angry people out there who might mobilise behind the likes of Yaxley Lennon.

First try and get a Parliament in place whereby a majority for one outcome or the other exists. To do that you need a General Election. If that doesn't work then go back to the people.

If people want to riot over Brexit let them go ahead. They are in the minority and as the marches the weekend shows the likes of Robinson and his followers will always be in the minority. Time for the people to stand up to the extremists in their country. These include the extreme politicians as well.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I actually think Labour pleading for a general election here is doing them no favors, its looks as self-serving and cynical as what Johnson has been doing over the last few years. The vast majority of Tories want Brexit in one shape or other so May and any other leader has to commit to that, but that's not the case for Labour, their is no political hay to be made with their current stance.

Its all very odd to watch indeed.

Labour is in very much a similar position as the SNP before the 2017 election where they were agitating for a new independence referendum and it just made the electorate angry. Maybe if they rowed in behind staying and reversing article 50 they would gain even more traction but they are just as useless at leadership level as the Tories.

Here is a tweet with video of our stance on the deal available.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1072113140949762049

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

trellheim wrote: »
    Pound showing very close to .91 for a Euro on xe.com

panic boys its red alert

Looks like it was starting to recover when the vote was called off now that theres just mass confusion everywhere its starting to drop again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

tuxy wrote: »
    She has nothing left to lose, her political career will be over after brexit. Might as well hold on and see how long a no confidence vote takes.
    I'd expect it about a week or so in so 4th or 5th of April. Need to get a few days of horrible news out there to ensure you can pretend to be the knight in shining armor to fix things; if there was only one contender I'd put it back another week or two to really dig the heel in on the bad news but with at least 3 wannabie PMs in the wing I think a week is the max it will take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bambi wrote: »
    Presume she's going to Europe tomorrow to give them what for/beg for scraps on the backstop (a backsop?) that she can sell back to the HOC

I reckon the British MP's genuinely cant accept that the EU might throw the UK under the bus rather than us

Thursday.....that's the day of the EU leaders meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry FS but I think you give TM to much credit in the character and backbone department there. She'll make another statement like the one after the fiasco in Salzburg about hearing the people, stubborn woman etc. and some faux outrage to show the Brexiteers she means business and do the whole dance & show about the new deal she's promising she'll sort out. The reason for the delay is because of her renegotiation as she now understands "how important it is for people" or some such and it will buy her time until after the new year basically.

Being the PM of the UK must feel like a constant morphine drip that you never develop a tolerance to or a drowsiness from, if she wants to just hang on as PM for a little more time but with no ideas as to how to make constructive use of that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can't see it, even with a generous 3/1 for 2018 exit.
    She's a stubborn and determined Catholic as you will ever see.

She definitely won't resign : she'll try the desperate plea to the EU angle first before she attempts anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Hurrache wrote: »
    The British want to be allowed unilaterally withdraw from the backstop.

That is OUT.

The British want a legally binding commitment from the EU that the backstop will never be used.

That is OUT.

The British want to renege on the deal they signed just three weeks ago.

That is OUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

briany wrote: »
    You can't have a referendum with 3 options because you invite the potential scenario where Remain wins but only has an explicit mandate from, say, 40 percent of the electorate. You better believe that every single Brexiteer of influence would have a year of field days with that. And Remainers would make a similar political noise if Leave won with 40 percent. Disaffected wouldn't be a strong enough adjective for the level of anger when a clear minority gets to decide the course of the UK, possibly for the foreseeable future.
    Good points, but, to me, you can't have two options on this issue - in that case, which do you leave out? A two-option referendum would cause (more) chaos.

Deal/No-Deal - no remain option.

Deal/Remain - no WTO option. Facing down the ERG/UKIP? Not likely.

No-Deal/Remain - Nothing like any Brexit that people might have voted for, plus why don't you put The Deal, that you supposedly sincerely believe in, to the people? Also, in this scenario, Remain wins, therefore No Brexit, again leading to chaos.

Sorry, there has to Ref2, and it has to be three options. Nothing else can work, IMO.

• Advertisement

Arlene has had her say,

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1072142368973963264

The replies are interesting, seems that people have caught on to the DUP.

Strazdas wrote: »
    She definitely won't resign : she'll try the desperate plea to the EU angle first before she attempts anything else.

Yep, not until March, after which it's booky wooky time, beach holiday, and a golden pension to look forward to anyway.

Labour are circling like pack hounds now, barking "call an election then". But Jez can only win if he looses the PR disaster that is Diane Abbot, quickfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The EU side should just lock up shop and leave a piece of paper stuck to the inside window saying "Gone on holidays to visit close friends..... the Irish..... back April 1st"

serfboard wrote: »
    Good points, but, to me, you can't have two options on this issue - in that case, which do you leave out? A two-option referendum would cause (more) chaos.

No-Deal/Remain - Nothing like any Brexit that people might have voted for, plus why don't you put The Deal, that you supposedly sincerely believe in, to the people? Also, in this scenario, Remain wins, therefore No Brexit, again leading to chaos.

Sorry, there has to Ref2, and it has to be three options. Nothing else can work, IMO.

Could you ask two questions? Do you want to continue with Brexit or not? Second question, do you want the deal as negotiated or leave without a deal? Then if leaving the EU wins at least you get a mandate from the people on what deal they want as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

serfboard wrote: »

I think I saw on twitter the best solution it with a two question set up.

Q1) Should we remain or leave EU without a deal?
    Remain - See Q2
    Leave without a deal

Q2) Only applicable if you voted remain in Q1
    Cancel A50
    Leave on May's deal

It's not perfect but at least you give only binary choices to people and will clearly give a remain/leave vote there.

If there's a cancel on the A50 or 2nd Ref,
    do expect fuel shortages but not from dockside redtape,
    but due to 'yellow/orange vests'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Remain - See Q2
    Leave without a deal

Cancel A50
    Leave on May's deal

It's not perfect but at least you give only binary choices to people and will clearly give a remain/leave vote there.

If you had three choices on a ballot, the way I'd do it is,

[ ] Cancel A50. Remain in EU.
    [ ] Accept the proposed WA
    [ ] Leave without a deal

Do it PR style. Order of preference. Lowest 1st preference option, gets its 2nd pref redistributed among the other two. Having a winner with less than 50 percent of the overall tally just isn't an option in this case. The final decision would need a proper mandate to have any legs. It's a snowman waiting for Spring, otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

briany wrote: »

Remain - See Q2
    Leave without a deal

Cancel A50
    Leave on May's deal

If you had three choices on a ballot, the way I'd do it is,

[ ] Cancel A50. Remain in EU.
    [ ] Accept the proposed WA
    [ ] Leave without a deal

Do it PR style. Order of preference. Lowest 1st preference option, gets its 2nd pref redistributed among the other two. Having a winner with less than 50 percent of the overall tally just isn't an option in this case. The final decision would need a proper mandate to have any legs. It's a snowman waiting for Spring, otherwise.

This is the correct option. Ideally they would bring in outside support to help/supervise. Now where would they get experts in PR/STV to help.
    The irony would be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

May will announce that she is stable and strong, and going back to the EU to assert her authority. The question is, whether she can dress whatever twaddle she comes back with in new enough clothes to mask the fact that it's still a crash test dummy. I doubt it, but it's her final throw of the dice. She is absolutely desperate to be pm at the time of brexit. It is her raison d'etre. That's it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

flatty wrote: »
    May will announce that she is stable and strong, and going back to the EU to assert her authority. The question is, whether she can dress whatever twaddle she comes back with in new enough clothes to mask the fact that it's still a crash test dummy. I doubt it, but it's her final throw of the dice. She is absolutely desperate to be pm at the time of brexit. It is her raison d'etre. That's it.

The problem is even if somehow she gets everything she wanted (she won't) the ERG mob will just say "why did you not sort that last month?" and Jez will just say "election please".

She is ****ed basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The EU won't budge one inch, a hard brexit is looking very likely. I can see her coming back to London like Margaret Thatcher and suddenly siding with the Brexiteers. It will be great to see the UK show the EU they won't be bullied by them. The don't do negotiating or deals it is take it or leave it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Listening to PMs speech on LBC.....The embarrassment of it all

She asked "Does the house want to deliver a successful Brexit..?" To which they cheered "Nooooo"..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Listening to Theresa May. Not really sure what she is saying. Many contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Unless she just hasn't got to it yet, but I don't know what the point of her speech is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Listening to Theresa May. Not really sure what she is saying. Many contradictions.

Some amount of heckling!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

UsBus wrote: »
    Listening to PMs speech on LBC.....The embarrassment of it all

She asked "Does the house want to deliver a successful Brexit..?" To which they cheered "Nooooo"..........

:D

ahahaha

It would appear from the laughter across their parliment (not from May herself), they have very little interest in the border area, or for that matter the North itself.

Nirexit and even Scotexit {more likely}, (from the uk) could probably solve that inconvenience for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

theguzman wrote: »
    The EU won't budge one inch

Speaking as an Irishman, a farmer, and an EU citizen, nor should they budge.

The UK need to own their nonsense. They want to leave, goodbye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Having listened to her speech, (complete rambling) it really looks like she is going through the motions to buy time.. I really think she doesn't care now, she just wants to get Brexit through, get to March 29th and take off into the sunset... it's cringing what they are at now...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement