Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,340 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

theguzman wrote: »
    The EU won't budge one inch, a hard brexit is looking very likely. I can see her coming back to London like Margaret Thatcher and suddenly siding with the Brexiteers. It will be great to see the UK show the EU they won't be bullied by them. The don't do negotiating or deals it is take it or leave it from them.

:rolleyes:

Terms like "bullying" are so inappropriate, but we live in an era of emotional language I suppose. The right words are "leverage", "negotiation", "incentives".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

UK trying to exit the EU is like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer got his arm stuck in the vending machine, and it turned out that he was really just holding on to the soda can the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,395 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bercow giving the Govn't a bollocking. He basically demands the Govn't put the motion to postpone the vote to the House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

theguzman wrote: »
    The EU won't budge one inch, a hard brexit is looking very likely. I can see her coming back to London like Margaret Thatcher and suddenly siding with the Brexiteers. It will be great to see the UK show the EU they won't be bullied by them. The don't do negotiating or deals it is take it or leave it from them.

Trade is a numbers game. The UK has little or no leverage here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

UsBus wrote: »
    Having listened to her speech, (complete rambling) it really looks like she is going through the motions to buy time.. I really think she doesn't care now, she just wants to get Brexit through, get to March 29th and take off into the sunset... it's cringing what they are at now...
    Honestly I expect her to contest any leadership contest even after March 29th; the claim will be to "Make sure UK comes out best possible", "Not abandoning duty in UKs darkest hour" etc. The scary part is she's likely to have a good chance of winning as well seeing who her opponents are...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

1€ = 0,91£ just now after the speech and still going down. Theresa May shouldn't talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Who's the guy on Ken Clarke's right side. Looks like the kind of guy who possibly still owns slaves.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bercow now suggesting that there should be a vote on delaying the vote.

Gotta laugh really at how silly this is becoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sensible contribution from Ken Clarke, saying it's folly that the British could have a unilateral right to end the open border, which is why a backstop is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

devnull wrote: »
    Bercow now suggesting that there should be a vote on delaying the vote.

Gotta laugh really at how silly this is becoming.

TBF Bercow is probably the best speaker they have had in years so they should listen to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Getting worse by the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sensible contribution from Ken Clarke, saying it's folly that the British could have a unilateral right to end the open border, which is why a backstop is necessary.

Imagine if he'd been leader instead of Howard...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

1€ = 0,91£ just now after the speech and still going down. Theresa May shouldn't talk.

Just seen this now alright....Wondering if I should order some sterling this eve...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wish they'd stop with this right honourable bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Imagine if he'd been leader instead of Howard...

Didn't he lose to IDM also? Looking back that was a huge miss for them, although to be fair Clarke iirc did run a pretty shoddy campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why does the speaker of the house always bellow so theatrically like that?? Does my head in. “PRIME MINISTEEEEEEEEER!!!”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,395 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bercow is embarrassing the Govn't into having a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Imagine even the Ulster Farmers on the orange hills of East Antrim,
    will be starting to look through investment brochures of lucrative, stable, cattle farming
    way over in Argentina, before this charade is played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shelga wrote: »
    Why does the speaker of the house always bellow so theatrically like that?? Does my head in. “PRIME MINISTEEEEEEEEER!!!”

just parlour games to a lot of these lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

May has given a strong hint there that she wants to effectively cut N. Ireland adrift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Shelga wrote: »

The Attorney General was far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interesting response from May there to Iain Duncan Smith. Said renegotiating the WA would result in new things on the table, including an NI-specific customs arrangement.

Is it possible May will now seek to offload the DUP altogether by looking to renegotiate to the original backstop that was proposed last December?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Interesting response from May there to Iain Duncan Smith. Said renegotiating the WA would result in new things on the table, including an NI-specific customs arrangement.

Is it possible May will now seek to offload the DUP altogether by looking to renegotiate to the original backstop that was proposed last December?

As usual, the obvious is being missed by the Tories. Renegotiation isn't a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Laois_Man wrote: »
    May has given a sting hint there that she wants to effectively cut N. Ireland adrift

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Suppose this comedy act from the Torys is good for the EU, it will delay the Italians from leaving, by at least a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tony Connelly has an interesting take on it.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1072158171534450688

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Going back to the public would lead to a lack of faith in the government?

Hah, bit too late for that PM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Water John wrote: »
    Bercow is embarrassing the Govn't into having a vote.

A lot of bad blood between him and the front bench so obviously going to have some fun with this. He and Leadsom absolutely loath each other.
    The ERG, SNP, Labour and 2nd vote people are reveling in this craziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

How so?

I am speaking in terms of the hard border down the Irish sea

she gave a strong hint that she might be prepared to make that concession, tell the DUP to F off and hope to find support from another source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Dear lord..... Dennis Skinner HATES the EU..........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement