Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1072193293956587520

Here comes Tony.

I can only imagine the conversations that are going on amongst the EU leaders right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

theguzman wrote: »
    It is a huge political crisis for the EU because the Franco/German empire is crumbling before their eyes and all attempts to bully and subjugate UK have failed and in words of the Rt. Hon Rev Ian Paisley there will be "No Surrender" and Arlene Foster has stood fast to that and I am sure the big guy himself would be proud of her on that. Verhofstad and Junker should realize that they will never break the Unionists in the way they destroyed the Greeks and the Southern Irish Government here.

What are you on? (Substances)

The EU is not stopping UK leaving, just rightly telling them they may not have access to the club like the paid up members have.

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

robindch wrote: »
    Going out on a limb here, but I'd imagine they said "No!".

I didn't ask what their stance was!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

badtoro wrote: »

The EU is not stopping UK leaving, just rightly telling them they may not have access to the club like the paid up members have.

Seriously.

Don't bother even replying to it. Utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It is a huge political crisis for the EU because the Franco/German empire is crumbling before their eyes and all attempts to bully and subjugate UK have failed and in words of the Rt. Hon Rev Ian Paisley there will be "No Surrender" and Arlene Foster has stood fast to that and I am sure the big guy himself would be proud of her on that. Verhofstad and Junker should realize that they will never break the Unionists in the way they destroyed the Greeks and the Southern Irish Government here.

Any comment on those Unionists slowly edging towards a United Ireland. Tick Tock.

All courtesy of Arlene & the DUP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Mr Robbins goes to Brussels:

OR: I'm here to seek "clarification" on the Backstop.
    EU: The Backstop is the backstop.
    OR: Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In the pantheon of political crises, where would we place this? Seems worse than the political crisis that surrounded our bailout, but not quite up there with the Greek one

In Ukraine, they use their fists within parliament to communicate their views quite regularly. Kind of like a game of interactiv charades.

They have done so also in Italy from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

badtoro wrote: »

Seriously.

The EU have more to lose than the UK and the UK will mobilise patriotism take to hit rather than capitulate, they are a proud nation with a history of standing up to Dictators like this. The EU's treatment of the UK will only embolden countries like Italy and I would not be surprised to see an alternative to the EU forming shortly similar to how the EU was 25 years ago with a loose trading only bloc, Germany and France will of course be excluded. Nationalism and Patriotism is on the rise and with current moves in Asia and the ongoing trade war between the United States and China, more countries in the Visegrad region will move to leave the EU, which will flounder in the coming economic crisis anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

serfboard wrote: »
    Mr Robbins goes to Brussels:

OR: I'm here to seek "clarification" on the Backstop.
    EU: The Backstop is the backstop.
    OR: Grand so.

They might get a bit of explanatory text like we did with Lisbon. Unfortunately the issues they have are actually in the treaty, where as the issues we law with Lisbon were mostly spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The EU have more to lose than the UK and the UK will mobilise patriotism take to hit rather than capitulate, they are a proud nation with a history of standing up to Dictators like this. The EU's treatment of the UK will only embolden countries like Italy and I would not be surprised to see an alternative to the EU forming shortly similar to how the EU was 25 years ago with a loose trading only bloc, Germany and France will of course be excluded. Nationalism and Patriotism is on the rise and with current moves in Asia and the ongoing trade war between the United States and China, more countries in the Visegrad region will move to leave the EU, which will flounder in the coming economic crisis anyway.

How was the UK treated badly? I never understand it when Brexiters say this so I'd be delighted if you could spell it out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I was watching this in the background, but did May discuss ejaculation their?:P

I honestly thought that this was an attempt by you at low grade humour, but no, you're right. From the Guardian live feed
    British politics has finally cut all links with normality and drifted off into absurdity. In the Commons a moment ago Labour’s Rupa Huq described the decision to call off the vote as an act of “premature parliamentary ejaculation”. In response, Theresa May said that, if Huq were to look carefully, she would see that May is not capable of premature ejaculation.

God knows what they make of this nonsense in Brussels ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No but we will force them into holding two second refernda on the exact same issues and lie to the Irish that everything is changed and we will also force the Irish to repay billions of unsecured German private bank bonds by turning private debt into Irish sovereign debt. Who needs enemies when you got friends like that?

There could not be a more despicable politicians in the world at the moment than Juncker, Verhofstadt and Mutti. An axis of true Evil if ever there was.

The real enemies are the likes of Russian backed Aaron banks and Nigel farage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

they are a proud nation with a history of standing up to Dictators like this.

Can you think of any nation within the EU that is not proud and has not had to stand up for what they believe in over the course of history?

Currently there is increased debate in Germany about the country attaining Nuclear Weapons.

https://www.politico.eu/article/german-bomb-debate-goes-nuclear-nato-donald-trump-defense-spending/

https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/opinion/hazardous-chemistry-germanys-dangerous-flirtation-with-nuclear-weapons/23582986.html?ticket=ST-49522-w9ZMPxQyXUhAO0vNSQ3C-ap2

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/nuclear-armed-germany-would-be-mistake-29047

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/08/why-germany-is-talking-about-getting-its-own-nuclear-weapons.html

They are currently trying to get their hands on the French stockpile of Hydrogen weapons via the EU Army. These are the same sycophants who cost the lives of hundreds of millions in the last century and are making moves to consolidate power across the continent again. History has shown they won't do it without armed conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

How were the U.K. treated badly by the EU? Please give specifics.

The real enemies are the likes of Russian backed Aaron banks and Nigel farage.

The likes of Russia and Farage are no enemy, Macron, Merkel, Verhostadt and Junker and their corrupt globalist liberal corporatist agenda are the enemy of the people. It takes a rare thing to unify the far left and the far right but both layed down their difference to fight the common enemy Macron in France.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

You left out Hal from 2001, the man on the moon and evil Prince Hanz from the film 'Frozen' in your grand, geopolitical handwave.

I honestly thought that this was an attempt by you at low grade humour, but no, you're right.
    Off on a tangent, but the MP who asked the question, Rupa Huq, has a sister, Konnie Huq, who is a former persenter of Blue Peter, and who is married to Charlie Brooker (of Newswipe).

And people think we have an incestuous political/media circle here!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

The likes of Russia and Farage are no enemy, Macron, Merkel, Verhostadt and Junker and their corrupt globalist liberal corporatist agenda are the enemy of the people. It takes a rare thing to unify the far left and the far right but both layed down their difference to fight the common enemy Macron in France.

Anyway, you were going to give examples of how the EU is treating the UK badly.

It takes a rare thing to unify the far left and the far right [...]
    On the contrary, it's quite simple to unite hardliners - all you've to do is whinge about complexity, compromise, diversity and whatever imperfections you can find.

The reality-based details are relatively unimportant.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    all you've to do is whinge about complexity
    Which is how "It will be so easy" turns into "Who knew Healthcare was so complicated?"

One of the few positives to come out of the ongoing chaos is that the Tories have gone a long way towards discrediting the very idea of Brexit in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I find it amazing that the northern ireland border is the main sticking point now but was hardly mentioned at all during the Brexit campaign or the general election. Either staggering arrogance or staggering stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

All the bookies have reigned in the odds of a 2nd Ref.
    It's getting to more or less close to an 'evens chance' they might even call one, perhaps just to prospone anyone taking any real decisions.

Hard to know if the 17.4m will sit back and take being asked again,
    or take inspiration from their Frenchy cousions who just threw a strop over diesel prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

joe40 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that the northern ireland border is the main sticking point now but was hardly mentioned at all during the Brexit campaign or the general election. Either staggering arrogance or staggering stupidity.

Can be both at the same time

joe40 wrote: »

The mainstream media and vast majority of the British political liberal elite were in favour of remaining in the EU and they basically rubbished the idea and had such total arrogance and certainty that they never expected the UK to actually leave in the first place. Nigel Farage and a host of other British Patriots had other things to say about that and the British electorate made a very well informed decision and smartly decided to leave.

David Cameron himself a staunch Europhile resigned the following day and his political gamble to appease the Euroskeptics backfired badly on him. Theresa May then doubled down by calling an Early election only to lose her Majority and put the DUP and Euroskeptics in firm control. It has all been very entertaining to watch and watching the liberal Europhiles squirm as they lost and refuse to accept it has been all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I watched a good portion of the debate in the house of commons this afternoon.

Some people not holding back at all in pointing fingers at and naming the hard Brexiteers for the role in the fiasco so far and saying the obvious that no deal will make the ERG happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All the bookies have reigned in the odds of a 2nd Ref.
    It's getting to more or less close to an 'evens chance' they might even call one, perhaps just to prospone anyone taking any real decisions.

Hard to know if the 17.4m will sit back and take being asked again,
    or take inspiration from their Frenchy cousions who just threw a strop over diesel prices.

The 17.4 million was a bunch of people tired of the malaise and given an apparent easy answer to their delusion with the government.

They are not a fixed bunch nor is there still anywhere near 17.4 million this time.

Its only folks that are willing for brexit to occur keep quoting this figure.

After a No deal they can then go an negotiate whatever they want instead of the EU putting a gun to their heads, a few months of lost sales to the German Auto Industry will soon see Mutti instruct her subordinates in Brussels and her lapdog Macron to give the British what they are asking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's a shame how without fail, sooner or later every single pro-brexit poster's posts eventually degrade into "We won WW2, and now we'll beat the EU Nazis too" and "Europe will bow to Britain's will" type drivel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement