Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

i would probably have voted remain, but if they started calling for a rerun, then i would vote leave. and there are many remain voters who feel the same way. see the difference between them and you is they respect people's vote.

What do you think about Theresa May who decided that she didn't like the result of the previous general election and therefore she should call another one because she did not 'respect people's vote'.

Ask a few Tories opposed to the peoples vote that and especially the ones that supported the calling of a needless general election and you will see hypocrisy in action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

you're correct. there probably is no point in debating it. people either get it or they do not.
    what's at stake is the very basis of democracy.
    either a persons' vote counts or it does not. once you start playing around with this basic principle, then democracy is dead imo.

i would probably have voted remain, but if they started calling for a rerun, then i would vote leave. and there are many remain voters who feel the same way. see the difference between them and you is they respect people's vote.

If there's an election and no government can be formed, there is a re-election.
    Same thing, and the very definiton of democracy.

Some interesting numbers here:
    https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/12/what-should-happen-next-what-really-matters-and-how-bad-is-this-crisis-my-new-brexit-deal-poll/

No real surprises but honestly it does show how in denial the leave side are and whatever happens there is going to be troubl brewing from one side or another as people are even more divided than when the vote happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Which is all well and good, but if the Leave advocates are still unable to agree after almost three years as to the trading basis upon which the UK should operate, they can only blame themselves if a second vote asks the people to choose between May's Brexit and Remain.

i would say quite a percentage of brits are wondering if democracy is ALREADY dead, given May's lies, misinformation, cowardice, and obfuscation.

from my experience once something starts to smell this bad, then it's best to throw it out...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

....they respect people's vote.

I think it would be more respectful (of the people and democracy) for them to run a second referendum on the basis that what was voted for 2.5 years ago was an idea, with no detail. Now there is reality, with detail.

Let the people have the opportunity to change their mind or reaffirm what they voted for 2.5 years ago.

That would be respectful....

• Advertisement

Reminder to those who are against a second vote.

People do not want a vote to overturn the first vote - they want a vote because that Parliament is unable to agree what they want and therefore a peoples vote is needed to break the deadlock and therefore it is democratic to ask the people what they think, since the democratically elected MPs cannot come to an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why doesn't May go over the heads of the DUP and her more "....& Unionist" colleagues by putting the idea of the backstop directly to the people of Northern Ireland? The DUP have had far too much leeway in saying they represent the views of NI at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

i would say quite a percentage of brits are wondering if democracy is ALREADY dead, given May's lies, misinformation, cowardice, and obfuscation.

from my experience once something starts to smell this bad, then it's best to throw it out...

I`m British and I and many people I`ve spoken to are in despair at the actions of TM.Her refusal to answer a direct question and delusional,dogged insistence to "carry on regardless"which is there for the whole world to see is breathtaking in it`s futility.
    Watching Jeremy Corbyn earlier on sky news,I hoped he would have put forward a motion of no confidence in the government but he continues to sit on the fence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I`m British and I and many people I`ve spoken to are in despair at the actions of TM.Her refusal to answer a direct question and delusional,dogged insistence to "carry on regardless"which is there for the whole world to see is breathtaking in it`s futility.
    Watching Jeremy Corbyn earlier on sky news,I hoped he would have put forward a motion of no confidence in the government but he continues to sit on the fence.
    Of course, having such a toothless Leader of the Opposition is enabling this continued mess. It would be so much better if someone like Keir Starmer was in charge of Labour who could provide actual Opposition to this mess instead of having Barry Gardiner on the debate trying to pawn Labour's alternative unicorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Akrasia wrote: »
    Some of the brexiteers, including Hannon have said that if there is a 2nd referendum that they'd call for a boycott of it.

They claim that this is as a protest about the undemocratic nature of a 2nd referendum. In fact, the boycott would be an undemocratic act designed to delegitimise an act of democracy because they know they would lose another vote. Refusing to participate means they are no longer interested in the democratic process and what is the next step for them to further their aims? Civil disobedience? Violence?

In fairness, they have threatened to boycott a second referendum if there are 2 options, one of which is remain and the other of which is to accept the current deal.....because neither of them gives them the opportunity to vote for Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Laois_Man wrote: »
    In fairness, they have threatened to boycott a second referendum if there are 2 options, one of which is remain and the other of which is to accept the current deal.....because neither of them gives them the opportunity to vote for Brexit.

They only have 3 options at this stage so they might as well include the 3rd. A no deal and a hard Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

charlie14 wrote: »
    They only have 3 options at this stage so they might as well include the 3rd. A no deal and a hard Brexit.

Agreed. But the conspiracy theorists are saying the second referendum with only 2 options, neither of which really constitutes Brexit, is being willfully engineered. They MIGHT be right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A question for those more "up to speed" on UK's laws etc. but if Corbyn gets in government come April (held back to ensure he can blame it on the Cons properly as things get chaotic) would he be able to use the same law from the 1800s allowing ministers to make law changes without going to parliament? Because I could see Corbyn loving the idea of being able to change laws as he sees fit without oversight as another reason to hold back now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

If he was going to put that motion in, you'd probably have known about it all morning. Same as how May's intention to postpone the vote was known about.

it's worrying
    when your Govt. goes walkies, but when your opposition goes MIA also, then that's deeply concerning.

talk about Nero and his fiddle, lute or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

you're correct. there probably is no point in debating it. people either get it or they do not.
    what's at stake is the very basis of democracy.
    either a persons' vote counts or it does not. once you start playing around with this basic principle, then democracy is dead imo.

This is a unique situation though. Britain has a representative democracy where MPs are elected to represent their constituents.

If you put the following 3 options to parliament, the following would happen:

May's Deal - Fail
    Abandon Brexit - Fail
    No deal exit - Fail

As far as I can see parliament (the voice of the people) is in a logjam about how to proceed with the referendum. It is quite a unique situation and for that reason alone another vote is merited

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It would be a pointless no-confidence motion as it would have near zero chance of winning. It could actually strengthen her position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

By rights there are 3 options on the table besides "no deal" for a potential referendum:
    1. Remain;
    2. May's Brexit;
    3. "Shaft Northern Ireland" brexit.
    That would be an interesting "let's see the brexiters fight among themselves" situation

joe40 wrote: »
    This is a unique situation though. Britain has a representative democracy where MPs are elected to represent their constituents.

If you put the following 3 options to parliament, the following would happen:

May's Deal - Fail
    Abandon Brexit - Fail
    No deal exit - Fail

As far as I can see parliament (the voice of the people) is in a logjam about how to proceed with the referendum. It is quite a unique situation and for that reason alone another vote is merited

so let's assume we have a 2nd "people's" vote.
    what question do you put on the ballot paper?

the same question again? Stay or Leave
    a 3 way question?
    a 2 way question?

what if you get the same vote again, then what?
    what if you get a reverse decision, but of the same proportions (52 v 48) as before? a 3rd vote?

fash wrote: »
    By rights there are 3 options on the table besides "no deal" for a potential referendum:
    1. Remain;
    2. May's Brexit;
    3. "Shaft Northern Ireland" brexit.
    That would be an interesting "let's see the brexiters fight among themselves" situation

so if 35% vote for one option, and 65% vote for the other 2, is it right and proper that one third hold sway over two-thirds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It would be a pointless no-confidence motion as it would have near zero chance of winning. It could actually strengthen her position.

Which as other posters have quite rightly pointed out is not in the interests of the country and has exposed the failings of the UK political system.If the politicians truly care about their country and not just their own ambitions they need to prove it now before the UK stumbles into a catastrophic no deal brexit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

a 3 way question?
    a 2 way question?

what if you get a reverse decision, but of the same proportions (52 v 48) as before? a 3rd vote?

How about this;

1) We take Mays Deal
    2) No Deal Brexit

They can do a return vote in a few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There was a great comment made on the latest episode of the Remainiacs podcast whereby the 52:48 leave win was a clear mandate for the Norway/EEA option as it was the only way to satisfy both sides which is why Norway went down that route after two rebuffs from the electorate.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

so if 35% vote for one option, and 65% vote for the other 2, is it right and proper that one third hold sway over two-thirds?
    You could do a STV vote if you prefer - although there is concern that that is too complicated.
    You could also do it:
    "Stay or go" and:
    "If the majority votes go, shaft Northern Ireland, yes or no".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

a 3 way question?
    a 2 way question?

I would say another vote, simply stay or leave. If the vote is still leave then parliament have a two way choice May's Deal or no deal exit.

If the vote is remain, then withdraw article 50.

At least this time it will be a better informed decision one way or the other

Rory28 wrote: »
    How about this;

1) We take Mays Deal
    2) No Deal Brexit

They can do a return vote in a few years.

that would be about the least contentious "solution", but i can see the Remoaners, well 'er moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

that would be about the least contentious "solution", but i can see the Remoaners, well 'er moaning

tbh I completely understand their frustration. They dont want to see there country go off a cliff and cant understand why 52% do. I have sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

joe40 wrote: »
    I would say another vote, simply stay or leave. If the vote is still leave then parliament have a two way choice May's Deal or no deal exit.

If the vote is remain, then withdraw article 50.

At least this time it will be a better informed decision one way or the other

What if the result is a three-way split? Three options doesn’t provide any clarity.

People voted for Brexit. May’s deal is the only Brexit possible. So, with this more detailed information, surely they should be able to vote for it, or Remain. Especially now they know they can revoke article 50 at any moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

There was a great comment made on the latest episode of the Remainiacs podcast whereby the 52:48 leave win was a clear mandate for the Norway/EEA option as it was the only way to satisfy both sides which is why Norway went down that route after two rebuffs from the electorate.

The PM of Norway has said that the EFTA would not be an option because the UK might "mess it up for Norway too".

But a SM + CU solution might be on the cards.

It is down to what can be achieved now.

Corbyn is distancing himself from an immediate Vote of confidence.
    I think he secretly wants May to get her deal and the Tories the blame for it.

There seems to be concern now that May can run down the clock without the parliament being able to do much about it.

• Advertisement

Rory28 wrote: »
    tbh I completely understand their frustration. They dont want to see there country go off a cliff and cant understand why 52% do. I have sympathy for them.

but wasn't the economy supposed to tank after the vote to leave?
    and as far as some Leavers are concerned it tanked/went off a cliff many years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement