Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

murphaph wrote: »
    The 48 Tories who have allegedly submitted letters would of course not vote down the Tory government. The two things are entirely different.

If May doesn't lose the confidence of the house she could always decide to pay a visit to Buckingham Palace and have a quick word with 'er indoors on the matter of a general election :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Bambi wrote: »
    If May doesn't lose the confidence of the house she could always decide to pay a visit to Buckingham Palace and have a quick word with 'er indoors on the matter of a general election :eek:

No she can't she needs a 2/3 vote in the HoC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm sure anyone who has been watching any of the outside broadcasts from the house of commons would have seen that guy holding the anti Brexit placard, he even got a giant pole when TV stations raised their outside studio on platforms.

His name is Steve Bray and today he was removed from College Green by the police and warned about "criminal damage of a live broadcast".

If they haven't seen him, they'll have heard his STOOOOP BREEEXIT!

Guy deserves a knighthood - political policing is nothing new though..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Amazing. The DUP haven't changed one iota. Roundly beaten in his argument he turns to invective and abuse. Paisley will never be dead.

Paisley was more accommodating in his later years.

The guys, and girls, he left behind in the dup are much more intransigent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

NIMAN wrote: »

Yea that is something I have noticed

Paisley ended up being pragmatic, deciding that it was better to be in power than outside.

Id say he is turning in his grave with this lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If she wins the confidence vote and sticks to her current path, the UK will have walked into hard Brexit by default. And there is nothing democratic that can be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm sure anyone who has been watching any of the outside broadcasts from the house of commons would have seen that guy holding the anti Brexit placard, he even got a giant pole when TV stations raised their outside studio on platforms.

His name is Steve Bray and today he was removed from College Green by the police and warned about "criminal damage of a live broadcast".

Good to hear he has been given advice not to do that any more.

The national audience of television broadcasts from outside the Houses of Parliament deserve to hear updates and analysis from journalists not being constantly distracted and put off by a geezer in a top hat standing uncomfortably close behind them

No she can't she needs a 2/3 vote in the HoC

Did they remove the PMs prerogative to go to the Palace? The Brits are no fun these days

I suppose the Tory remainers could conspire to lose a confidence vote..mayb e

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

There can’t be another Tory internal vote against her for 12 months. Of course she could always be toppled in a vote of no confidence in the government.

The feeling was if somehow she got any brexit deal through by its deadline she would step down as A the Tory moneymen won't trust her in an election and I am sure if somehow she got a deal through she would be absolutely worn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

The national audience of television broadcasts from outside the Houses of Parliament deserve to hear updates and analysis from journalists not being constantly distracted and put off by a geezer in a top hat standing uncomfortably close behind them

Protesters aren't doing their cause much good by placing themselves and their placards very conspicuously in the background of news broadcasts. Nobody's going to change their minds if they see someone holding up a 'Stop Brexit' or 'Leave means Leave' sign while Beth Rigby interviews Peter Bone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

NIMAN wrote: »

Your have far too soft an image of old Paisley. That man kept the sectarian pot boiling for years until he got to be top dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You know yourself you can't even stand by what you just posted. He didn't stop anyone watching TV from hearing the broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its actually not a law.

You should surely know that criminal damage to a live broadcast isn't a thing.

Did you think it was....

Well judging on the calibre of politician's perhaps you did...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it were to come to a parliamentary vote would 48 + Labour + DUP + SNP do it?

I understand some parties (DUP, maybe some ERG members) may not fancy a general election.

Assuming the old NI seats are used as the new ones aren't fully locked in yet:

DUP would almost certainly lose a seat in a GE, and possibly Dodds also which would be hilarious. Danny Kinahan (UUP) may be nipping at their heels also

SDLP could end up with 2 or 3 (or 0) - Pengelly's seat and 2x SF maybe - which would be anti-Brexit and turn up.

listermint wrote: »
    Its actually not a law.

You should surely know that criminal damage to a live broadcast isn't a thing.

Did you think it was....

Well judging on the calibre of politician's perhaps you did...

Sorry, what?

I said I’m pleased he’s been told it’s not a good idea to protest in the fashion he does because it’s clearly offputting to those relaying news or being interviewed. I don’t think that is particularly fair to the viewing public who deserve better.

I made no comment on whether I thought the law had been broken

Thanks for the little dig at my intelligence though. You don’t need the apostrophe in politicians.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Political Ed of the Sun on Sky News now quoting that a source close to Graham Brady has revealed that there are not quite enough letters in yet and that the ERG are trying to exaggerate how many are in to try and egg people on.

Seemed to suggest that there are some people who did not want to push them over the 48 to create a leadership contest, but if it is going over 48 anyway, they want to be on the list and to be seen to write one for optics reasons.

Payed down the belief that Brady will be going to No 10 in the morning and confidence vote Wednesday night as something that was being used to try and get the reluctant letter writers to write one.

No more than you expect from the ERG if true, they're trying to manipulate people in their own party for their own purposes.

devnull wrote: »
    Political Ed of the Sun on Sky News now quoting that a source close to Graham Brady has revealed that there are not quite enough letters in yet and that the ERG are trying to exaggerate how many are in to try and egg people on.

If that's the case, you have to wonder about Kussenberg and the BBC news team, not the first time that she's regurgitated a line that was fed to her by the ERG.

If that's the case, you have to wonder about Kussenberg and the BBC news team, not the first time that she's regurgitated a line that was fed to her by the ERG.

Absolutely. I definitely don’t think there is any agenda behind it on the part of the journalists, they just want the big scoop.

But clearly their sources aren’t as reliable as they would like to think, as demonstrated time and time again over the past few months on the no confidence vote.

I wish they would simply stick to reporting news and not just speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Basically the DUP want to torpedo the GFA by having a hard brexit

That's the way I see their policy working out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry, what?

I said I’m pleased he’s been told it’s not a good idea to protest in the fashion he does because it’s clearly offputting to those relaying news or being interviewed. I don’t think that is particularly fair to the viewing public who deserve better.

I made no comment on whether I thought the law had been broken

Thanks for the little dig at my intelligence though. You don’t need the apostrophe in politicians.

The viewing public who deserve better..

Yet you have had no views on the one sided coverage being offered up by the national broadcaster. Giving infinite airtime to the likes of tax payers alliance and leave hq and not interviewing actual MEPS.

Your concern is a protestor.

Yes I'll stick with the point I made on intelligence.

Thanks though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

listermint wrote: »
    The viewing public who deserve better..

Yet you have had no views on the one sided coverage being offered up by the national broadcaster. Giving infinite airtime to the likes of tax payers alliance and leave hq and not interviewing actual MEPS.

Your concern is a protestor.

Yes I'll stick with the point I made on intelligence.

Thanks though

The BBC does fine, remainers moan its to leave orientated while leavers moan its to remain orientated. I don't know what people expect? The canary, Guido Fawkes , Independant, Daily Mail exist for those who only want to see one POV.

Absolutely. I definitely don’t think there is any agenda behind it on the part of the journalists, they just want the big scoop.

It's not that hard to put feelers out to Bradys camp for some sort of confirmation/denial before running it. Kussenberg has a habit of running stories that turn out to be misinformation.

nice_guy80 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/skydavidblevins/status/1072608892260114432

That may be careful of what they wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i think you misread their intentions.
    if they are given a choice between sundering the Union with GB and a Hard border with us, you know that's not even a question as far as the DUP is concerned.

for them there will only ever be 1 winner.
    why are people acting so surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not that hard to put feelers out to Bradys camp for some sort of confirmation/denial before running it. Kussenberg has a habit of running stories that turn out to be misinformation.
    Can you point to any particular examples?

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1072630744693047297

Very fluid situation it seems the number has been reached. Going to the palace would suggest she is going to resign. However I agree Kussenberg isn't reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Except that its not only utterly wreckless but could be potentially self defeating as if the Brits wreck themselves for the sake of arrogant foolishness and allow a hard brexit to take place theyd be at the mercy of the EU for any agreement and we could easily turn around and basically say because the Brits broke it one of the conditions for any agreement could be a border poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Peregrinus wrote: »

i've always found Laura to be very reliable, but we all know what often happens the messenger when the news is not good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have supported Brexit from the very outset long before the Referendum and I support a Hard Brexit today. A hard Brexit and a hard Border are in my best interests as a Nationalist because I want a United Ireland, and quiet frankly it is time to move on from the Good Friday Agreement and that was a great instrument to end years of conflict but from a Nationalist viewpoint it has done nothing over the last twenty years other than stall the national question and lets Unionist rule in the six counties continue.

A referendum is needed and simple Demographic change will deliver a United Ireland eventually. I am also anti-Eu so was delighted to see the UK leave so as to inflict a defeat on the entire European project. I must give credit to Arlene Foster that whilst I am diametrically opposed to her she is the most faithful and loyal politician to her voter base and she is representing what they want.

Theresa May is not honouring the Brexit which the democratic majority of UK voters wanted to leave the EU, our leader was not democratically elected, he does not have the majority of Fine Gael party members backing him, and got elected as leader and thus Taoiseach because the FG party values the vote of their party TD's and County Councillors ahead of the ordinary FG members, the vast majority of whom backed Simon Coveney for leader.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »

Check out her Twitter at the last ERG power play she was reporting 60 letters and it ended up less than 25. Now in fairness she's only reporting what she's been told however this has been symptomatic of the issues with the BBC. Reporting both sides as creditable. Repeating the lies of proven liers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement