Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

branie2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the vote is no confidence.

If it is, it means a lot of the Tory MPs are liars, which I guess isn't that surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Oh no it isn't :o

If May looses the Brexiteers could put lots of names forward just to drag out the process to get a default leave.

They can't, the Tories have said they can expedite the MP selection process to 10 days odd if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shelga wrote: »
    Anyone else watching Sky News? Just me or does Michael Heseltine look like he has a man bun?

You should listen to what he says, not worry about his hair. He's a wise, experienced and honourable man, something the UK badly needs more of.

Why is it that in the UK, it seems so many of the decent, older, useful and knowledgeable leaders or characters seem to just disipate into the ether after a brief run in politics. Never to be heard from again, other than the odd sensible comment.

Ken Clarke seems to be one of few veterans of any use. In the US, many senators hang around forever (not that their politics are to be recommended). Keep enough of the better politicians and you should not ever have such disasters develop, never mind be sustained over such an agonizing, protracted length of time.

Listening to guys like Heseltine and Major makes you realise how few decent and intelligent older guys there are about to influence matters.

Even keeping people who you might not like but can at least respect. There's any number of personalities who have been lost to British politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brady said it would be down to 2 names for the final ballot before recess.
    Mysterio, right wise counsel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If May looses the Brexiteers could put lots of names forward just to drag out the process to get a default leave.
    Then parliament including Tory moderates will have to vote no confidence in the government to force a general election. Or May as PM could legitimately call a people's vote in the face of obvious obstructionism by the ERG. I don't believe parliament will tolerate ERG shenanigans in this manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think that is exactly their play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

That the BBC still has that dinosaur Andrew Neil fronting after Carole Cadwalladr peeled back his facade recently (he's tied in with the nexus of 'think tanks' [lobbyists / political operatives] involved in the whole Trump / Russia / Brexit / dirty money / media manipulation that has got us all into this mess in the first place, and is a horrible b'stard to boot) is emblematic of how bankrupt they are as a news service now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Switch to Murnaghan on Sky. Fairly balanced.

Water John wrote: »
    Switch to Murnaghan on Sky. Fairly balanced.

Sky has been pretty heavily bashed by the Brexit bunch saying that they are ardent remainers.

Always seemed quite balanced to me though, and at least they have a view from Dublin and Northern Ireland once in a while, having correspondents there, who actually are from Ireland, rather than the BBC who tend to ignore us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

devnull wrote: »
    Sky has been pretty heavily bashed by the Brexit bunch saying that they are ardent remainers.

I think they lean towards Remain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

UsedToWait wrote: »
    That the BBC still has that dinosaur Andrew Neil fronting after Carole Cadwalladr peeled back his facade recently (he's tied in with the nexus of 'think tanks' [lobbyists / political operatives] involved in the whole Trump / Russia / Brexit / dirty money / media manipulation that has got us all into this mess in the first place, and is a horrible b'stard to boot) is emblematic of how bankrupt they are as a news service now.

Whatever you think of him as a person, he’s still the most fearsome political interviewer in the U.K.

Sturgeon scathing about the Tories on Sky. She very obviously hates their guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think they lean towards Remain.

I think they give plenty of air time to Brexiters but they all come across so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sturgeon scathing about the Tories on Sky. She very obviously hates their guts.
    They completely screwed her over. Allowed her to hold an independence referendum, campaigned against her with the Trump card of EU membership, and then turned around and left the EU.

All of Scotland hates the Tories. They have continually treated Scotland as second class citizens and a burden. Sturgeon is merely representing her constituents.

Suggestions from Sky Political Ed from what he's heard from leavers, that it's closer than they thought it would be.

Apparently in the committee room there was a fair bit of naysaying.

Not long till we find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Whatever you think of him as a person, he’s still the most fearsome political interviewer in the U.K.

I'm afraid I can't take his political interviews at face value now, knowing him as a person.

I think they give plenty of air time to Brexiters but they all come across so poorly.

I dunno. Any time I watch their interviews, they seem to give Remainers an easier ride. But you're right, every time a Brexiteer opens their mouth and talks about Brexit, their stupidity shines through.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can't take his political interviews at face value now, knowing him as a person.

What did you see/hear?

David Davis seen with a smile on his face, guess any second we find out if the Tories are widespread liars or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is tense :D

You could easily forget the compete sh1tshow of her 'deal' is still sitting there waiting to be dealt with.

Here we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Brady is in. Drum roll please.

Result of contest

Confidence vote passed.

She won...

She survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You should listen to what he says, not worry about his hair. He's a wise, experienced and honourable man, something the UK badly needs more of.

Totally agree, he seems like an inherently decent and honourable man, with a deep sense of integrity that is sorely lacking in many Tory MPs today.

Was just making a joke, my comment was a bit After Hours-y alright...

200 to 117.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

She has won the vote. Still doesn't mean her deal gets through parliament. 200 to 117.

Confidence: 200
    No Confidence 117

Majority 83.

No confidence vote for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Better than many thought.

• Advertisement

It's like a crowd at a Junior B hurling game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement