Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I'm inclined to agree. They need to feel the pain to realise the mistake. Then they'll come back with their tail between their legs (and with a few richer Tories)!

I think the same, I think it's going to a hard brexit to realise the mistake and yo realize they aren't an empire or what they used to be. But sadly with the stiff upper lip attitude of the British I'm not sure they will ever come to that realization, not for another generation at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I'm inclined to agree.
    They need to feel the pain to realise the mistake. Then they'll come back with their tail between their legs (and with a few richer Tories)!

Pain? Mistake?

Should a country be punished for wanting to tell the Eu to do one?

When did the Eu become rulers of Europe? At least the UK is standing up for itself.

Ireland is saying what the Eu tells it to say and its embarrassing. Goes to show who really runs Ireland. And its not the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Ireland is saying what the Eu tells it to say and its embarrassing. Goes to show who really runs Ireland. And its not the Dail.

It was the Irish government who brought up the whole issue of the border first, not the EU.

Ireland is a member state, the UK is not. What is the EU if not to protect the interests of it's members?

It was the Irish government who brought up the whole issue of the border first, not the EU.

Ireland is a member state, the UK is not. What is the EU if not to protect the interests of it's members?

Fine. No deal. But the EU is using NI to punish the UK when similar deals were done in Gibraltar and Cyprus.

The EU are done. I hope it will cease to exist in its current form and become the EEC again.

The left love the Eu as its as democratic as the USSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Fine. No deal. But the EU is using NI to punish the UK when similar deals were done in Gibraltar and Cyprus.

The EU are done. I hope it will cease to exist in its current form and become the EEC again.

So many tropes, so little substance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd say even the people who voted to leave(and that was their democratic right) I'd say not many of the leave voters voted for this mess they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

If we asked the EU voting public how they think the UK should be treated how do you think it would go? I'd say it wouldn't be so polite as it is now.

If we asked the EU voting public how they think the UK should be treated how do you think it would go? I'd say it wouldn't be so polite as it is now.

The EU voting or pro EU voting?

The left love the Eu as its as democratiche USSR.

How is it using the north to punish the UK?

All it's doing is standing behind a member state who see a risk to an international peace agreement.

Ask yourself a question:

If we were not in the EU how do you think the UK government would treat the Irish government over an issue like this?

That is the value of the EU to it's members. It amplifies their influence way beyond what it would be otherwise.

The EU voting or pro EU voting?

The voters of the EU27.

• Advertisement

The voters of the EU27.

When did you put an X on a ballot paper to elect an EU president? Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I also find it slightly funny that the UK are surprised that the EU are holding to keeping the integrity of the EU as a whole intact. If Teresa May hadn't called that general election(when she didn't need to) then brexit would still be happening but without the added issue of the DUP.

How is it using the north to punish the UK?

All it's doing is standing behind a member state who see a risk to an international peace agreement.

Ask yourself a question:

If we were not in the EU how do you think the UK government would treat the Irish government over an issue like this?

That is the value of the EU to it's members. It amplifies their influence way beyond what it would be otherwise.

You have been reading to much guff on the RTE website. Tony Connolly should be sacked from Rte. Opinion pieces belong in a broadsheet not on a state broadcaster.

If Ireland was not in the EU I would say that the UK would be bending over backwards to help Ireland.

But the reality is Dublin is bending over forwards and taking it up the rear from the EU.

The EU runs Ireland not Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

When did you put an X on a ballot paper to elect an EU president? Never.

How many of us have put an X on a ballot paper to elect our Taoiseach or (for UK voters) Prime Minister?

You have been reading to much guff on the RTE website. Tony Connolly should be sacked from Rte. Opinion pieces belong in a broadsheet not on a state broadcaster.

If Ireland was not in the EU I would say that the UK would be bending over backwards to help Ireland.

But the reality is Dublin is bending over forwards and taking it up the rear from the EU.

So the EU runs Germany, France, Portugal, Italy, Spain, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium...........?

You do know the EU is not a sovereign entity, right?

You must be from the UK and support Nigel's team of liars and pantomime toffs.

How many of us have put an X on a ballot paper to elect our Taoiseach or (for UK voters) Prime Minister?

Eh.. The party leader is usually the PM.

Did you vote for Donald Tusk? Did you vote for his party? No. So how is he now the ruler of the EU when not one EU citizen voted for him?

USSR Mk2.

A tiny faction of Tory backbenchers along with the DUP run the UK. Unlike most of the British population though, people in this country are generally happy with the way our government is handling the negotiations.

So the EU runs Germany, France, Portugal, Italy, Spain, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium...........?

You do know the EU is not a sovereign entity, right?

You must be from the UK and support Nigel's team of liars and pantomime toffs.

I am from the UK (Scotland) but in Dublin not that its any of your business.

Take your head out your arse and look at the EU. Its a huge mess.

Did you vote for Donald Tusk? Did you vote for his party? No. So how is he now the ruler of the EU when not one EU citizen voted for him?

USSR Mk2.

Ruler of the EU? Jesus... Here, I know you just want to vent about stuff you hate and all, but if you actually want to learn something maybe you could try and educate yourself on where the power in the EU and its member states lie? You could start here.

Ruler of the EU? Jesus... Here, I know you just want to vent about stuff you hate and all, but if you actually want to learn something maybe you could try and educate yourself on where the power in the EU and its member states lie? You could start here.

Ah the usual remoaner response. "Uneducated" !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

USSR Mk2.

Well I voted for my local Fine Gael candidate knowing he would likely vote Enda Kenny for T, and in much the same way that Enda Kenny and/or his representatives would vote the EPP candidate (Tusk) for President of the Euro Council.
    It's not ideal but how do you think it should be ran?
    Without putting words in your mouth I genuinely don't see how a load of unfamiliar candidates could be expected to competently contest a simultaneous election in 28 27 countries at once.

Ah the usual remoaner response. "Uneducated" !

I'm Irish, living in Ireland. Why are you calling me a "remoaner"? I didn't vote either way obviously.

And by calling Donald Tusk the ruler of the EU you are uneducated on the subject at hand, because he isn't.

I'm Irish, living in Ireland. Why are you calling me a "remoaner"? I didn't vote either way obviously.

And by calling Donald Tusk the ruler of the EU you are uneducated on the subject at hand, because he isn't.

He is President of EU ? Is he not? He is calling the shots over britex is he not? Leo is repeating what Tusk says!

Can you recommend a EU funded establishment where I can be "reducated" to the party way?

I will visit room101 also!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Leo is repeating what Tusk says!

The opposite is more true. We have made our EU partners aware of our concerns over the border and the EU is using its clout to force the British to pay attention. Our sovereignty is enhanced by being in the EU not diminished.

No silly tropes as a response please.

He is President of EU ?

*sigh*

No.

Please inform yourself.

He is President of the European Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I am from the UK (Scotland) but in Dublin not that its any of your business.

Take your head out your arse and look at the EU. Its a huge mess.

You are from Scotland, a country that voted to remain in the EU.

Northern Ireland which also voted to remain, has a party that in UK politics is a tail wagging the dog while ignoring the wishes of it`s own constituents, and you think the EU is a huge mess.
    If you are looking for a real mess, then with you being in Dublin their is no need to look toward Europe, just look east.

charlie14 wrote: »
    You are from Scotland, a country that voted to remain in the EU.

Northern Ireland which also voted to remain, has a party that in UK politics is a tail wagging the dog while ignoring the wishes of it`s own constituents, and you think the EU is a huge mess.
    If you are looking for a real mess, then with you being in Dublin their is no no need to look toward the Europe, just look east.

No. The EU vote was a UK one and the result was leave. Scotland and NI are NOT recognised independent countries.

The UK voted leave. The final deal was brought up on BBCs Question Time on Thursday night.

All parties agreed, that prior to the EU referendum, the future UK/EU relationship was an unknown.

The question was asked and the people said leave. End off.

Its going to happen. And 720,000 people that don't recognise the democratic process won't change that.

You can protest, bitch and moan. The UK is leaving the EU. Tuff tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

He is President of EU ? Is he not? He is calling the shots over britex is he not? Leo is repeating what Tusk says!

Can you recommend a EU funded establishment where I can be "reducated" to the party way?

I will visit room101 also!

Actually Tusk is bound by what the menber states heads of government say. Varadkar is one of them. NI is an issue not becauss Tusk made it so but because the Irish government made it so.

And the UK has a hereditary head of state. If democratic deficits are your primary concern, and you are British, you have more influence on the choice of Juncker, Tajani and Tusk that you do on your own head of state who got life tenure just by being born.

Also language usage can be an interesting signifier. The accepted term is Brexit. Britex is a waterfiltering system.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pain? Mistake?

Should a country be punished for wanting to tell the Eu to do one?

When did the Eu become rulers of Europe? At least the UK is standing up for itself.

This post really captures some of the childish motivations that underpin Brexit for a portion of its supporters. It’s about ‘sticking it’ to the established order of things. Of course it’s a terribly hypocritical mindset: England should be able to tell the EU to ‘do one’ but heaven forbid the EU defend its position. The politics of juvenile anger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

JRM is telling TM to start to plan for a no deal properly as otherwise it could cause financial chaos.

Very smart move from JRM, the line they are going to take is that Brexit would have worked out fine if it wasn't for those pesky leaders in government. So now we have the leader of the biggest group of Brexiteers in the HoC, the ERG, has in the recent months stated that any benefits to Brexit may take 50 years to but actually understood and that he now acknowledges the very real threat of significant financial hardship that will come from a hard brexit.

Yet there are millions still happily cheering the likes of JRM and Johnson on to push for the hardest Brexit possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement