Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

swampgas wrote: »
    It might be the "only issue", and clearly it works for that company, but it's potentially a huge issue for others. The reason JIT is so widely used is to avoid those extra costs, which can become significant. It does depend on the product, some are affected less than others. And having a bigger buffer can be a benefit in some cases.

JIT really helps when there are frequent design changes, as obsolete stock is less likely to accumulate. It's unpopular having to junk a large batch of parts because of an unavoidable product design change. Long term it may well be cheaper to move production out of the UK.

Agreed. I think when it comes to production that involves larger and/or more expensive components then the negative cost/benefit factors kick in also for warehousing costs and cash flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i think it was fintan o toole who mentioned in his piece that the nissan factory in sunderland imported 3 million parts A DAY!! not a month or a year,every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

farmchoice wrote: »
    i think it was fintan o toole who mentioned in his piece that the nissan factory in sunderland imported 3 million parts A DAY!! not a month or a year,every day.

65% supported Brexit in Sunderland.

According to Brexiteers, moving components back and forth across English channel incurs a carbon cost to environment, yet importing beef from Argentina or electric cars from Singapore does not, they just magically teleport in.

There is also conviction that it will force suppliers to locate in UK , instead of whole lot moving out of UK

They're lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A lot of talk of twitter of being close the the 48 number but may be reached today or tomorrow

Doesn't matter a jot unless they can get 159 votes of no confidence in May.

Talk of "weakening May" with an unsuccessful vote is nonsense - she can't get any weaker and remain in office, so anything short of 159 votes actually strengthens her by guaranteeing no more 1922 committee action for a year.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter a jot unless they can get 159 votes of no confidence in May.

Talk of "weakening May" with an unsuccessful vote is nonsense - she can't get any weaker and remain in office, so anything short of 159 votes actually strengthens her by guaranteeing no more 1922 committee action for a year.

Apparently, if over a 100 vote against her then she would be expected to resign. I don't think 100 would vote against her at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

According to a Guardian piece I read, it's 5 million pieces received and fitted every day with the plant only able to hold enough parts for half a day's production at any one time because it is too expensive to store them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

A lot of talk of twitter of being close the the 48 number but may be reached today or tomorrow

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1054680858332983296

There is a big push in the shadows behind the scenes also.
    Apart from the ERG (The English Tea Party) machinations in 55 Tufton Street, a shadowy company called "Mainstream Network" has pumped £250,000 into Facebook ads for a hard Brexit. This includes ads where a Facebook user can click, have a letter auto created to email to their local MP and just send it.

Where would such an organisation get accurate userdata on electoral rolls, political preferences etc? After all, Cambridge Analytica UK/SCL and the stolen Facebook database are no more right?

Wrong: Yesterday more details of the company Emerdata Limited were released on UK CompaniesHouse site. Many of same shareholders. Majority Owned by Cambridge Analytica Holdings Llc. which is owned by Rebekah Mercer and her two Sisters. Alexander Nix, Former Cambridge Analytica CEO has 14%. (more see @wendysiegalman on twitter)

I'm not a betting man but I would guess they are behind Mainstream Network.

Wouldn't like to be a Data Commissioner in the UK: Job like a cleaner in Tirnobyl.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10911848/persons-with-significant-control

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I recall reading in the Financial Times, that Honda’s operation in Swindon, would require the third largest building on earth for nine days worth of supply, should they loose JIT.

There are smaller companies that will be able to move off JIT, they will manage the supply side but will be less competative as a result. For the larger companies, leaving JIT will not be a viable option and moving location will make more sense to their bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Honda have two million parts going through every day. To house 9 days worth of stock would require a building of 300,000 sq m, equivalent to 42 football pitches. It would have to be one of the largest buildings on earth.

• Advertisement

I see the Brexit supporting inventor James Dyson is going to build his proposed electric car out in Singapore. One the reasons given was the suitability of the ‘supply chain’ there. If thats to do with the just in time factor involved with many such setups, then maybe even the Brexiteers are realising the problems that a crash out Brexit are going to cause to industry.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    There are smaller companies that will be able to move off JIT, they will manage the supply side but will be less competative as a result.

So they will go broke more slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tony Connolly said the EU are apparently ready to accommodate the UK in a UK customs treaty, potentially negating the need then for a backstop ever having to be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1023/1006113-brexit/

interesting stuff, although to me its looks like a lot of tiptoeing around the fact the uk will be staying in the customs union for ever more.

That's how it reads doesn't it. You get Brexit, but you still say within the EU customs union, and therefore presumably the EU's rules in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Hurrache wrote: »
    That's how it reads doesn't it. You get Brexit, but you still say within the EU customs union, and therefore presumably the EU's rules in that area.

So it was definitely worth the last 2 years...

Personally after all this faffing it would be devastating that it ended this way.

An intact UK and a Tory party in existence is hardly worth all this messing.

You get Brexit, but you still say within the EU customs union, and therefore presumably the EU's rules in that area.

Only until the UK devise their new technology to implement Canada+unicorns, which the brexiteers assure us will be totally easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

interesting stuff, although to me its looks like a lot of tiptoeing around the fact the uk will be staying in the customs union for ever more.

Doesn't appear to solve NI either
    Turkey border gridlock hints at pain to come for Brexit Britain
    https://www.ft.com/content/b4458652-f42d-11e6-8758-6876151821a6

Doesn't appear to solve NI either

It would if they were all in a customs union with the EU? Not that the Tory's will buy into it anyway.

It would if they were all in a customs union with the EU? Not that the Tory's will buy into it anyway.

Where 'a customs union' equals 'the customs union' I suppose it would but what of regulations and agriculture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Moving the commitment to an "all UK customs union" to be negotiated after the withdrawal agreement to the top of the new Withdrawal agreement - as RTE is reporting - would appear to have just moved the EU fair and square onto the UK Labour Party's page.

Where 'a customs union' equals 'the customs union' I suppose it would but what of regulations and agriculture?

That's the big question isn't it. Another few years negotiating the exact nature of such a union, do they basically apply the existing rules, or do they try cherry pick what they want in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Haven't the hard Brexiteers said they want 'a customs union' only to be temporary and a mere stepping stone to something else?

Strazdas wrote: »
    Haven't the hard Brexiteers said they want 'a customs union' only to be temporary and a mere stepping stone to something else?

At this stage you'd find it hard to find a position that hasn't been supported by at least a few people in a "respected position" in the UK over the course of the last 2.5 - 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

As this whole thing progresses, is it just me or does Brexit seem to be about less and less each day?

Seems like a whole lot of wasted effort over nothing really.

On the whole Dyson thing, Singapore as we know recently signed a deal with the EU, so Dyson hedges his bets and knows his cars will have access to the EU anyway via that treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

On the whole Dyson thing, Singapore as we know recently signed a deal with the EU, so Dyson hedges his bets and knows his cars will have access to the EU anyway via that treaty.

Exactly, the whole thing is a con job to try to make gains. Its a win-win for them. They are betting with other peoples' lives and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So it was definitely worth the last 2 years...

Personally after all this faffing it would be devastating that it ended this way.

An intact UK and a Tory party in existence is hardly worth all this messing.

You have to give it to May, she is a survivor if nothing else. If she can get this through parliament, and she may just with the help of Labour, she will buy herself another year or so after 30 March 2019. That will be before the legal consequences of this customs union will become clear. Either they will get to have their own trade deals and there will be some checks, or they will abide by the EU trade deals.

This would be good for Ireland though, we are still insisting on the backstop and will most likely get it so no border. As for the Conservatives, they will still be divided as the ERG will not go away and neither will be EU skeptic portion of the party.

Also, she will need to deal with the DUP and the ERG so somehow I cannot she it becoming easier for her. Added to this, we are still at the easy stage of the negotiations. Wait until you get to the actual trade relationship. There is a reason why trade deals takes years to complete and its not because the negotiators get lazy.

So the only thing it seems that this would have done is keep the UK in the EU for longer while they sort out the trade relationship and to keep May in No.10 for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Leroy42 wrote: »
    As this whole thing progresses, is it just me or does Brexit seem to be about less and less each day?

Seems like a whole lot of wasted effort over nothing really.
    I agree,also the cold hard fact that brexit is a terrible mistake/disaster is beginning to dawn on the people who voted to leave whilst the "elite" still keep pushing for it for their own selfish ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

The deal if it as Tony Connolly spells out does seem to be a good basis for proceeding.
    It's interesting to see how the EU have actually compromised, in that earlier in the year they were ruling out the "UK-wide backstop".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement