Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Shelga wrote: »
    Yeah I’m reading the UK version of the Sunday Times on my tablet- what a nice line- “the small print is that Ireland is ****ed”- charming. How exactly are we ****ed?

Yeah, I read the Irish version first, and then over the the UK version, and there are some notable differences, but that one takes the cake. It goes back to Andrew Maxwell's comment, they don't realise that we consume all the UK media on top of our own. I'm never surprised by that kind of editorialising by the red tops, but for an apparent paper of record it is quite a shocking omission. I would be quite surprised if that's not picked up by the Irish Times during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/11/04/breakthrough-on-the-backstop-claims-the-sunday-times/Wouldn't agree with the GE bit though.

Labour and Lib Dems , like everyone's school report , could try harder. An inanimate carbon rod might have been more useful because at least the public would know it wouldn't help.
    The DUP can't afford to be seen to accept anything but the same t&c's as the rest of their kingdom. It's their USP.
    They will go down with their Ulster Says No line. And without their £1billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Shelga wrote: »
    Yeah I’m reading the UK version of the Sunday Times on my tablet- what a nice line- “the small print is that Ireland is ****ed”- charming. How exactly are we ****ed?

I think you need to look at that statrment with your Union glasses on.
    It is the death knell of NI as part of the UK.

It's ironic really. What SF and the IRA failed to do in their decades of war against various British and NI political leaders and governments, those very same leaders and government are succeeding in doing in less than 18 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Am i reading it right that the EU want to treat Ireland separately to rest of 27 with regard to phytosanitary and agri? If we don't have 100% checks at NI ports or UK to NI then we get dumped in with UK? You can do vet checks at the local Asda.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Mc Love wrote: »

I dont know why an Irish comedian is on an English politics show but it seems remarkably appropriate. Funnier still, he seems to be the voice of reason.

The 'peasant stock' comment? This is really bizarro world.

• Advertisement

Full Politics Live show here (Andrew Maxwell) from 25:30):

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Unfortunately, this sort of anti-intellectualism is thriving here and there's never a shortage of token Irish Eurosceptics who think they can make a quick buck. The idea that the Irish aren't "Superfans", whatever that term is meant to mean based on his parents voting No to Lisbon is the sort of material one might see in a parody from years ago and the BBC have put him on so how he can rant about how the EU has treated Ireland terribly because of reasons.

Fair play to Maxwell for that followup. He's bang on.

That Brendan O'Neill is so dishonest, said it here many times.
    Nice and Lisbon were rejected for a myriad of reasons (neutrality, abortion, etc.) but EU expansion would have been way down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Water John wrote: »
    Listening to Banks, don't think he could lie straight in bed. Would not answer what co the money originally came from, just plenty whataboutery.

City Watchdog Investigating him too. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/city-watchdog-the-fca-joins-investigation-into-arron-bankss-wealth-hb8vhfbfw

It also looks like serious Fraid squad about to investigate also.

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1059066280202911745

I don't know why this Brendan O'Neill (he of Irish peasant stock) gets so much exposure. He is full of shıt and has nothing to back up his pronouncements. He is regularly on Sky News Press Preview and now here he is on BBC's Politics Live. 'The editor of Spiked Online' - who reads this garbage?

I'm still gobsmacked that they chose a comedian to speak about Anglo Irish relations on a Politics show? It's literally taking the piss. Maybe they could have chosen Dara O'Brian, he would have loved that.

There is no shortage of Irish politicians or political analysts/ journalists who would have been happy to discuss this issue on that stupid show. It's just not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I don't know why this Brendan O'Neill (he of Irish peasant stock) gets so much exposure. He is full of shıt and has nothing to back up his pronouncements. He is regularly on Sky News Press Preview and now here he is on BBC's Politics Live. 'The editor of Spiked Online' - who reads this garbage?

I'm still gobsmacked that they chose a comedian to speak about Anglo Irish relations on a Politics show? It's literally taking the piss. Maybe they could have chosen Dara O'Brian, he would have loved that.

There is no shortage of Irish politicians who would have been happy to discuss this issue on that stupid show. It's just not up to scratch.

I think Neale Richmond (Fine Gael's Brexit spokesman) may have been on it at one point. Problem is they always come up against some Brexit fanatics / ideologues on the panel who are incapable of listening.

• Advertisement

There is no shortage of Irish politicians or political analysts/ journalists who would have been happy to discuss this issue on that stupid show. It's just not up to scratch.

To be fair a comedian can be a lot more honest than a politician would have been, call O'Neill out on his bull****. A politician in there would have just spouted generalities and nobody would have listened.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

What comeback is there against the UK not bothering to do their checks? Temporary CU gone, backstop kicks in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mc Love wrote: »

Imagine speaking of peasant stock with no hint of irony...

Roanmore wrote: »
    That Brendan O'Neill is so dishonest, said it here many times.
    Nice and Lisbon were rejected for a myriad of reasons (neutrality, abortion, etc.) but EU expansion would have been way down the list.

The No vote to Lisbon was actually quite sophisticated. I remember Declan Ganley saying that 'if you don't understand the issues in the Treaty, then vote No to it as it is probably the safer option'. It was not an "anti EU" vote at all.

The Eurosceptic debate in the UK has been way more toxic than anything going on Ireland. British people have been brainwashed into hating the EU, so much so that more than 50% of them thought nothing of voting to leave it forever.....this would be a "nuclear option" and far too extreme for Eurosceptics in nearly every country in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

lawred2 wrote: »
    Imagine speaking of peasant stock with no hint of irony...
    Because y'know, most Irish people are of 'peasant stock' and would have a much better handle on things EU than the other people who wouldn't be a majority or something, something, irexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This piece from Carole Cadwalladr as to how Banks has attacked her is worth reading.
    https://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2018/nov/03/threats-bullying-and-vindictiveness-how-arron-banks-repels-charges-against-him

Comedians are often the only reply for Brexit nonsense. Nish Kumar was on Question Time and really punctured the nonsense balloon.

Water John wrote: »

Been looking at her twitter feed, she's said she complained to the BBC and Sky News that Banks has been lying about her, got a response from Sky but nothing from the BBC. Also claiming her BBC interview had to be recorded due to an ongoing investigation in to Banks but his interview was allowed go out live.

Looking at BBC's twitter you'd swear they grilled him.

To be fair a comedian can be a lot more honest than a politician would have been, call O'Neill out on his bull****. A politician in there would have just spouted generalities and nobody would have listened.

Ok so, Politics panel of:

Owen Jones - Guardian columnist
    Jane Merrick - Political commentator
    Brendan O'Neill - Editor of Spiked Online
    Katy Balls - The Spectator.

Brought on to discuss Anglo Irish relations:

James Maxwell - Irish Comedian

It shows the contempt they have for Irish politics, or their lack of seriousness in engaging with it.

Like I said before though, in the greater context, it probably was approproate to have an Irish comedian on, it is all such a joke over there.

The powers that be, didn't want to know about the Banks money question. It's been dragged slowly to the forefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Been looking at her twitter feed, she's said she complained to the BBC and Sky News that Banks has been lying about her, got a response from Sky but nothing from the BBC. Also claiming her BBC interview had to be recorded due to an ongoing investigation in to Banks but his interview was allowed go out live.

Looking at BBC's twitter you'd swear they grilled him.
    The BBC has absolutely lost all semblance of impartiality. Quite shocking when you look back at their history as paragons of how to conduct political commentary. Almost sinister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It appears the UK edition of the Times this morning left out crucial lines on the backstop that is included in the Irish version which says a deal is dependent on the UK signing up to a legally binding backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement.

Dept of Foreign Affairs are saying there is no deal yet.

Horse trading still going on as we speak by the looks of it.

It appears the UK edition of the Times this morning left out crucial lines on the backstop that is included in the Irish version which says a deal is dependent on the UK signing up to a legally binding backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement.

Dept of Foreign Affairs are saying there is no deal yet.

Horse trading still going on as we speak by the looks of it.

Well the Irish version left out the Whitehall official saying that Ireland were f**ked, so there's a degree of pandering to national audiences and not providing the full account in case it upsets the apple cart

Well the Irish version left out the Whitehall official saying that Ireland were f**ked, so there's a degree of pandering to national audiences and not providing the full account in case it upsets the apple cart

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the Whitehall official didn't say that to any Irish reporters...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It shows the contempt they have for Irish politics, or their lack of seriousness in engaging with it.

Like I said before though, in the greater context, it probably was approproate to have an Irish comedian on, it is all such a joke over there.

That sort of snobbery really irritates me. So what if hes a comedian. The English need to hear more mouthy Dubs to knock some sense into them

P_1 wrote: »
    That sort of snobbery really irritates me. So what if hes a comedian. The English need to hear more mouthy Dubs to knock some sense into them

I think the "so what" is that many of us still believe in experts and expertise and inviting a comedian on to represent the Irish perspective gives the impression that they were looking for the funny side in the paddies being unaccountable annoyed by the UK screwing around. What could Irish experts possibly have to offer a discussion about Anglo-Irish relations after all? Get a comedian, at least he'll give us a laugh.

Admittedly an earful from Dara O'Briain probably would have a better chance of sticking.

Rhineshark wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the Whitehall official didn't say that to any Irish reporters...

I think it was more an editorial decision. Tim Shipman has the credit for both versions of the article, so I think they may have left out the parts of the full article that wouldn't play well in Ireland, and vice versa in the UK edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Rhineshark wrote: »
    I think the "so what" is that many of us still believe in experts and expertise and inviting a comedian on to represent the Irish perspective gives the impression that they were looking for the funny side in the paddies being unaccountable annoyed by the UK screwing around. What could Irish experts possibly have to offer a discussion about Anglo-Irish relations after all? Get a comedian, at least he'll give us a laugh.

Admittedly an earful from Dara O'Briain probably would have a better chance of sticking.

I think it's fair to say he didnt give them a laugh. Rather he called it as it is in a way an academic or politician would b constrained in doing by the very virtue of their profession

Well they know if they want a good honest and insightful Irish contribution, Tony Conneelly is always available.

I think it was more an editorial decision. Tim Shipman has the credit for both versions of the article, so I think they may have left out the parts of the full article that wouldn't play well in Ireland, and vice versa in the UK edition.

Yes, two different editorial teams. The Irish editors don't just copy and paste articles coming through from the UK. They will amend them as they see fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

And not even a funny comedian.

This discussion has been closed.