Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod classic 160GB - Unused in wrap, how much are these worth?

• 15-10-2018 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭

Opened a drawer in my room over the weekend and found I had 2 iPod classic 160GB still in their wrapping which I completely forgot about buying back when they had announced they were ceasing production.

Bought them as a backup for when my own one (which I still use daily cycling) dies, but it's still going strong! I love being able to pause/FFWD/RWD by pressing a button through my cycle pockets, where a touch screen wouldn't work, not to mention the battery life is still around 10 days!

Curious how much these are worth ... all I see on ebay are refurbs rather than genuine new ones.

Also I imagine the battery inside them would last another few years, or should I plan to offload them fairly soon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

You'd get about €300 for a sealed one maybe a little more.

Lot of people use them in cars with the old 30pin connection but apart from that demand isn't massive, especially with streaming and 256GB Micro SD card players etc

If I was you, I'd stick them back in the drawer for another 5 years and they'll be retro collectables....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Keeping them for myself really.

I'm assuming I can swap the HDD and battery in my current one when it dies, so maybe won't ever need to use these new ones.

You might see me on the Antiques Roadshow 2048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Definitely keep them for another few years.

would the dormant battery still be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mrcheez wrote: »
    would the dormant battery still be ok?

It's generally best to keep the battery partially charged at about 60-70%.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    It's generally best to keep the battery partially charged at about 60-70%.

How long does an unwrapped battery last from production roughly? 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It will probably have lost some of its life but it should be fine once fully charged and discharged a few times.

I have a 160gb ipod classic constantly plugged into my car stereo and listen to music from it every day. I have had it in the last 4 cars and its 10/11yrs old now and still going strong. I'd be horrified if anything were to ever happen to it.

Aye it's great to have when data connection is crappy or non-existent, not to mention never having to charge it more than once every 2 to 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep a real super device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have a 160gb ipod classic constantly plugged into my car stereo and listen to music from it every day. I have had it in the last 4 cars and its 10/11yrs old now and still going strong. I'd be horrified if anything were to ever happen to it.

It will probably last another few years but try running it off the battery and I'm guessing you'll get no more than 5 minutes, if that. Your device has a spinning HDD (i.e. it's not an SSD) so requires more juice than a modern digital player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm assuming I can swap the HDD and battery in my current one when it dies, so maybe won't ever need to use these new ones.

Get one of these if your HDD dies or if you feel like switching it out for more storage. There's a lot less battery drain, also.

https://www.iflash.xyz/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

coylemj wrote: »
    It will probably last another few years but try running it off the battery and I'm guessing you'll get no more than 5 minutes, if that. Your device has a spinning HDD (i.e. it's not an SSD) so requires more juice than a modern digital player.

I had it on holidays with me last June, I used it most days while lying at the pool and on the 4.5hr flight out and back again. I charged it once around day 5 of a 10 day holiday and it wasn't that the battery was dead but it was showing low and so I didn't want it dying while I was using it so I just charged it that night.

Advertisement