Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room temperature control

• 15-10-2018 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I have a mobile room thermostat which controls the operation of my boiler within pre-programmed on periods. There are three settings as folliws:
    1. Economy temperature
    2. Comfort temperature
    3. Deviation allowed from set temperature before the boiler will come back on (currently set to 0.2 degrees)
    The thermostat is located in my living room and wall mounted in the correct position. I want a fairly constant temperature to be maintained in my living room, hence the reason why I have set the differential to 0 2 degrees. My comfort setting is 22 degrees so the boiler shoukd knock off when that temperature is reached and cone back on when the temperature falls to 21.8 degrees. That is exactly how the system operates. However, when the temperature reaches 22 degrees, it will continue to rise by anything up to 2 degrees. So, you could be sweltering in a 24 degree room and you would them have to wait for the temperature to drop by 2.2 degrees before the boiler comes back on, by which point you are freezing. I have tried changing the setting to 20 degrees to all is for the extra climb in temperature but then you have the problem that the heating will only come back on at 19.8 degrees which is too cold for me.

I have a fairly new combi boiler but I am really not happy with the heating controls as the temperature is not evenly controlled. Would anyone know why this is happening and/or have any reccomendations for a better system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 FOTW

If your using radiators the latent heat in the radiators will still be heating the room, even though the boiler isn't on anymore. Once the radiators have cooled then the temperature should start falling again.If you have a very well insulated house the heat coming of the radiators wont be lost as quickly through ceiling, windows and walls.

You could try turning down the temperature at the boiler if its set for example at 70 drop it down to 60 that way the water in the radiators will only be heated up to 60 degrees and wont be heating up the room for as long once the boiler cuts out. You may find it will only go up to 23 degrees once boiler stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭powerade

FOTW wrote: »
    If your using radiators the latent heat in the radiators will still be heating the room, even though the boiler isn't on anymore. Once the radiators have cooled then the temperature should start falling again.If you have a very well insulated house the heat coming of the radiators wont be lost as quickly through ceiling, windows and walls.

You could try turning down the temperature at the boiler if its set for example at 70 drop it down to 60 that way the water in the radiators will only be heated up to 60 degrees and wont be heating up the room for as long once the boiler cuts out. You may find it will only go up to 23 degrees once boiler stops.

Hi. The temperature was set to 76 degrees so I dropped it to 65 degrees. The maximum temperature rise, after the boiler has shut down, now appears to be in the region of .5 to .7 degrees. It takes longer for the house to hear up but at least the temperature is not getting ridiculously high and the range is much smaller. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in my gas consumption. Thank you for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 FOTW

Glad it helped, you might find that you gas consumption drops as you will be burning less gas once up to temp. This might offset the extra time it takes to heat up house.

Once it gets colder in the winter you can always put it up again if you find that temps start to drop to quickly after burner turns off.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭powerade

FOTW wrote: »
    Glad it helped, you might find that you gas consumption drops as you will be burning less gas once up to temp. This might offset the extra time it takes to heat up house.

Once it gets colder in the winter you can always put it up again if you find that temps start to drop to quickly after burner turns off.

I don't mind if the temperature drops more quickly once I get a more even room temperature and my gas bills do not go up. When the temperature was going up to 23/24 degrees, the body got used to the extra heat very quickly so the house felt freezing when the temperature dropped to a more normal level of 21 degrees. I have taken it down to 60 degrees now to see if I can get rid of that last bit of temperature creep
    Thanks again ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Advertisement