Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone tell me what this is called?

• 15-10-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

eitpow.jpg

2zylsoo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

A URL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

UrbanFret wrote: »

Hard to tell from that. Is the cable going into it? Can you unplug the cable? Maybe a few more pictures of the different sides may help.

I see you added a new picture. It may be an aerial combiner. I think you're in Cavan right?

It is probably combining the UK and Irish terrestrial signals into one cable. Do you have one large and one small aerial on your roof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I see you added a new picture. It may be an aerial combiner. I think you're in Cavan right?

It is probably combining the UK and Irish terrestrial signals into one cable. Do you have one large and one small aerial on your roof?

Its a neighbours set up. yes he has uk and irish aerial. although I think they are combined further up the mast. it is powered yes. Its fairly corroded and he wants to order one. I cant find any writing on it art all.

I think its made by labgear.

• Advertisement

Its a neighbours set up. yes he has uk and irish aerial. although I think they are combined further up the mast. it is powered yes. Its fairly corroded and he wants to order one. I cant find any writing on it art all.

Could be the power supply for the masthead amplifier. Labgear seems to be written on the circuit board. They would be a manufacturer of such equipment. Can you follow the two black cables to see where they go?

Could be the power supply for the masthead amplifier. Labgear seems to be written on the circuit board. They would be a manufacturer of such equipment. Can you follow the two black cables to see where they go?
    yes the one marked tv goes to the distribution box in the attic. The other up to the combiner on the mast. I think you're right, an older version of this perhaps.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/labgear-screened-masthead-amp-power-supply-12v-4ca0d4.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYzNl-SI3gIVz5ztCh1O-ATPEAQYASABEgKksfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

yes the one marked tv goes to the distribution box in the attic. The other up to the combiner on the mast. I think you're right, an older version of this perhaps.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/labgear-screened-masthead-amp-power-supply-12v-4ca0d4.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYzNl-SI3gIVz5ztCh1O-ATPEAQYASABEgKksfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That would be my guess alright but you may want to get confirmation before ordering a replacement.

That would be my guess alright but you may want to get confirmation before ordering a replacement.

Thanks.Ill go back over tomorrow and have another look. ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, seems to be alright. Haven't seen one of those old Labgear's in a long time. IIRC, That whole section that's exposing the transformer and PCB was sealed closed, with a rectangular window for access to where the saddle and clamps are for the coaxial cables.

Most power supplies tend to have F-connector ends these days.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, seems to be alright. Haven't seen one of those old Labgear's in a long time. IIRC, That whole section that's exposing the transformer and PCB was sealed closed, with a rectangular window for access to where the saddle and clamps are for the coaxial cables.

Most power supplies tend to have F-connector ends these days.

Thanks . amazingly I still think its working ( the state of it). Surely there's got to be signal loss . He has break up on the uk channels, I'm thinking this can't be helping. Ill get a new one for him anyway.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'd wonder if the masthead amp is of a similar vintage and condition?

The Cush wrote: »
    I'd wonder if the masthead amp is of a similar vintage and condition?

I would imagine it is although looking up at it it seems intact. I'd need a MEP or teleporter to get a proper look as its on a pole about 25 feet up. Ill replace this first and see if there's an improvement.

Advertisement