Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYI: Reply from Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland to use of word "unlimited

Options
  • 15-10-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,  I no longer have the FUP on my account, but I did submit a complaint to the ASAI (Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland) earlier this year regarding eir's use of the word "unlimited" in their advertising - the point is probably mute now as the FUP no longer applies for new customers - but thought I'd share this with the board anyway.  Here's the first page of the reply that I received from ASAI

RE: Advertising for eir

Dear Mr xxxxxx,

I refer to your complaint regarding advertising for eir and apologise for the delay in replying.

The function of the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland is to ensure that advertisers comply
    with the requirements of the Code of Standards for Advertising and Marketing Communications in
    Ireland. We are prepared to investigate complaints concerning advertisements that may be considered
    to be in breach of the Code.

The issue you have raised in your complaint concerning the use of ‘unlimited’ was the subject of
    earlier complaints against eir and these complaints were referred to our Complaints Committee for
    adjudication. The Committee issued their findings and I have attached a copy for your information.
    You will note that one of the requirements from the adjudication was that eir were to link any
    reference to ‘unlimited’ to the existence of a fair use policy. As eir have not done this in the
    advertising you referred to, your complaint has been passed to our Code Compliance Monitor to
    follow up with eir on the matter.

I can advise that the Complaints Committee will be re-examining the issue of ‘unlimited’ when a fair
    usage policy is in existence, however, currently, companies are allowed use this term when there is a
    fair usage policy in place, as long as the existence of the fair usage policy is called out and the fair
    usage policy does not affect 99% of customers on that plan.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

I can paste the contents of the next 4 pages of the "Case Report" if people wish. 

Advertisement