Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mate 20 Pro

• 15-10-2018 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭

I think this will be my next phone, upgrading from the P20 Pro. As good as the P20 is it's missing a couple of features that I miss from the iPhone X I had which is wireless charging.

It's been revealed tomorrow, seems pretty much like everything has already been leaked though so doubt there will be many surprises but looks very promising and I would imagine it will be the No.1 android phone this year.

Pricing does look very high so hopefully they will throw in a nice incentive again to encourage people to buy early.

Comments

Definitely one to watch. Even if it is priced high early on, it would hopefully take a massive nosedive in price before too long. I picked up the Mate 10 Pro for approx €400 not much more than 6 months after it came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Seen unboxing yesterday, now just going to watch the event. My next phone also after Note 9.

They are destroying every phone out there, wireless reverse charging so you can charge other phones using the Mate 20.

Some features. Crazy phone.

Yeah, some pretty awesome features. The rumours about a proprietary expandable storage solution were true. I do wonder if it will take off. The beauty about micro SD cards is that everyone has a few lying around. I guess they're hoping they will become an industry standard, so we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Looks like a super piece of kit. Too expensive for me, alas.

Free GT watch and wireless charger with Preorders in Uk. Hope its the same here like the Bose deal with the P20 Pro.

dan786 wrote: »
    Free GT watch and wireless charger with Preorders in Uk. Hope its the same here like the Bose deal with the P20 Pro.

Yup same promo here as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Yup same promo here as expected.

I cant see it on the irish site?

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I cant see it on the irish site?

Three.ie.

Cant be ordered yet. But promo is advertised.

https://www.three.ie/brand/huawei/mate-20-pro/pre-register/

• Advertisement

Three.ie.

Cant be ordered yet. But promo is advertised.

Oh right, Im vodafone. Vodafone UK have offer advertised but not the irish site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I wouldn't go back to Three for this phone. Hopefully Vodafone will offer it.

Vodafone will have the same deal once they have the device on the site. Its a Huawei promotion like Bose with P20 Pro so all retailers will be offering it with pre-orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

They are destroying every phone out there, wireless reverse charging so you can charge other phones using the Mate 20.
    I don't get the usefulness of this feature... Maybe I'm missing the point though?
    How many wireless charging devices does one have? (I have none perhaps I'm behind the times!)
    Or maybe you'd want to tie up your phone by allowing your mate to use your P20 to charge up their Samsung S9?!

Super phone nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Where can you buy it contract free?

Amazon have it with the watch and charger deal. Pre-order. Available October 26. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JVY21DL/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I’m a huge Apple fan but even I’m thinking of getting that phone. Looks absolutely amazing

if it goes like the last one will be available for €600 or so after 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Was looking forward to this but the curved screen has put me right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bizarre that this doesn't have a headphone jack and the normal mate 20 does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I got hands on with the phone last week. It's incredible.

https://goosed.ie/mate-20-pro-launch-ireland/

Any questions?

• Advertisement

El Inho wrote: »

Any questions?

Is it worth the upgrade from a note 8 and how does it stack up against the note 9 / pixel 3 xl?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Oh right, Im vodafone. Vodafone UK have offer advertised but not the irish site.

Seriously considering switching to this from an iPhone 7 Plus if it’s available with eir. Always had iPhones but I’ve used a Nokia 3 the past week and while I know it’s cheap and laggy, it opened my eyes as to how android has changed for the better over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

El Inho wrote: »

Any questions?

Is it actually launching to buy in Ireland? Not via redirection from the UK but actually here.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is it actually launching to buy in Ireland? Not via redirection from the UK but actually here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Sim free Harvey Norman 1049e with free watch and wireless charger.

Vodafone Prepay 899 with same freebies but likely to come locked. Bill Pay from 199.

Three no pricing yet but will likely be between 850-900 with same - their P20 Pros came unlocked so likely to be the same.

Same freebies with all 3 retailers

Vodafone Prepay 899 with same freebies but likely to come locked. Bill Pay from 199.

Three no pricing yet but will likely be between 850-900 with same - their P20 Pros came unlocked so likely to be the same.

I see harvey norman is a November 8th release, any word what the release date is with vodafone?

I see harvey norman is a November 8th release, any word what the release date is with vodafone?

November 8th as well.

Amazon Uk have them at 899£ available 26th Oct. Slightly cheaper than HN for sim free.

Any link to Vodafone site I can’t see it on there

• Advertisement

November 8th as well.

Amazon Uk have them at 899£ available 26th Oct. Slightly cheaper than HN for sim free.

Feck it went ahead and ordered a twilight from amazon

Feck it went ahead and ordered a twilight from amazon

I am going to wait on Three myself and hope its unlocked like the P20 Pros they sold. Dont forget to claim your free watch and wireless charger once you receive your phone.

jonny_b wrote: »
    Any link to Vodafone site I can’t see it on there

Not on their site yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I hope to god they sort out one of my major small gripes with the p20 Pro. That absolutely tiny LED notification light. If that was as good as a Samsung and the always on display also I'd be sold..

Get a smart watch. Never have to look at your phone to check for notifications again :)

I think I read that the Mate 20 Pro has kept the IR blaster in. Such a great feature, I don't know why other manufacturers got rid of it.

Had a great time recently in a hospital waiting room killing the boredom by messing with the TV using my Mrs' Mate 10 Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The cameras certainly sounds like they'd be fun to mess with, especially with the wide angle addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i see the HN one is dual sim as well !!

Guys I’m relatively new to Android, if one was to buy the phone sim free and use it on eir, would the android updates come straight from Huawei? Eir say they won’t be stocking this phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Yes if SIM free then Huawei would be updating it.
    Eir would have nothing to do with that aspect

Dan are you sure Vodafone will offer the freebies? The reps on the Vodafone forum said it would be only available to order on launch day. The freebies only seem to come with pre orders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have a mate 10 pro for the past 7 months. Fantastic phone, a Great battery camera you name it. Only paid 450 for it sim free from the Amazon warehouse. Went from a Samsung S8 plus to it (Was a great looking phone with a good camera and shocking battery life).

The girlfriend has the P20 pro and its an amazing phone and she got the free bose headphones with it as well.

I can't wait for the mate 20 pro I have it pre-ordered from Amazon. 6.5 inch screen, bigger battery, on-screen finger print scanner.

Also the free smartwatch, Its something that i don't get still to this day but I hope it works out a good fitness tracker. Also the wireless charger looks great and can set up beside my bed as well.

Roll on next week !!!.

I would have went for the Mate 20 x the gaming one but I just think it might be a bit too big ?. Its kind of something i would like to see in person 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Preorderd this.
    Seems like a great upgrade from the OnePlus 3T for me. Was going to wait for the 6T but couldn't pass up the preorder offer available too.
    As long as you bought it from amazon (and not a third party seller) you should be able to get a GT Watch and wireless charger once it's been shipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I wonder will anyone ship the watch and wireless charger along with the phone. Last time Vodafone shipped the Bose earphones with the phone itself.

I've no interest in the free watch though and I'd say it will be pretty hard to sell as well.

digiman wrote: »
    I wonder will anyone ship the watch and wireless charger along with the phone. Last time Vodafone shipped the Bose earphones with the phone itself.

I've no interest in the free watch though and I'd say it will be pretty hard to sell as well.

The watch Vodafone is giving is not the Huawei Watch. According to Vodafone reps it’s a Samsung frontier watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

digiman wrote: »
    I wonder will anyone ship the watch and wireless charger along with the phone.

Three are saying you'll get all three, but not sure how they'll distribute it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Android Authority: Huawei Mate 20 Pro international giveaway!

^^^ Today's giveaway on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Three are offering this already on the uk site.. £49 on billpay as a pre-order. Saying Oct 26th for delivery.
    Knowing them here in Ireland they'll probably look for at least €300 up front.

Some more details on pricing with Vodafone and looks like Nov 9th for us here.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/huawei-mate-20-pro-android-ai

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

I was thinking of pre ordering the mate 20 from amazon uk, and clicked into the promotion on it,

the following conditions came up:

The claim form opens on the 26/10/2018 so please come back then to submit your claim.

You will need to provide the following details:

Date of pre-order
    Receipt number
    IMEI Number
    Upload a copy of proof of pre-order
    Personal details including UK delivery address for fulfilment of reward
    Your claim will be processed 14 days from submission.

If I order I would like to use my actual Irish address????

Also if bought from Vodafone, I do we show proof of pre order if they are not taking any?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sth_safal

I contacted Huawei UK and France asking if ordering through Amazon France or Amazon UK is eligible for promotion in Ireland.

Amazon France is running 100 eur promo credit plus the watch offer.

They replied saying only purchase with Harvey Norman is eligible at present from Ireland. Also their terms and conditions states purchases made in UK are only valid. I wonder if ordering to PM/PW would make us eligible.
    cowlick wrote: »
    I was thinking of pre ordering the mate 20 from amazon uk, and clicked into the promotion on it,

the following conditions came up:

The claim form opens on the 26/10/2018 so please come back then to submit your claim.

You will need to provide the following details:

Date of pre-order
    Receipt number
    IMEI Number
    Upload a copy of proof of pre-order
    Personal details including UK delivery address for fulfilment of reward
    Your claim will be processed 14 days from submission.

If I order I would like to use my actual Irish address????

Also if bought from Vodafone, I do we show proof of pre order if they are not taking any?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

sth_safal wrote: »
    I contacted Huawei UK and France asking if ordering through Amazon France or Amazon UK is eligible for promotion in Ireland.

Amazon France is running 100 eur promo credit plus the watch offer.

They replied saying only purchase with Harvey Norman is eligible at present from Ireland. Also their terms and conditions states purchases made in UK are only valid. I wonder if ordering to PM/PW would make us eligible.

The problem I have with using the UK address is if there is a problem with the phone will it complicate things, also address pal has hardly no insurance if the phone goes missing which can happen.It's a very high price item to chance it. Strange that amazon says delivery to Ireland is available yet the offer is not. Even if I give say a relatives address as mine in the UK, what's the story with warranty etc. I looked online and in one of the UK tech websites it listed a good few retailers with the offer. Harvey Norman being the only one in Ireland is disappointing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement