Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mate 20 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

jonny_b wrote: »
    Did it come unlocked for you :)

Yes factory unlocked. With no branding at all.

Also tried 2 sim card to see if the second sim slot works but unfortunately it seems like its been disable by software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Excellent - keep us updated on how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

So there is an actual second Sim slot and the hardware for it but Three decided to disable it?

reni10 wrote: »
    So there is an actual second Sim slot and the hardware for it but Three decided to disable it?

It's highly unlikely that 3 bought a bunch of dual SIM devices and went out of their way to disable it. It would be a single SIM ROM, and probably a single SIM tray. Usually it would require a slightly different SIM tray to fit the second SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Anyone else think the colours are a little washed out on the display. I've tried to mess around with the settings but the colours don't pop like my old note 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the colours are a little washed out on the display. I've tried to mess around with the settings but the colours don't pop like my old note 8

I had actually thought that from a lot of the videos and photos I'd seen of the phone but had just put it down to the wallpaper or icons. I'd say there might be a setting to bump it up a bit or easily fixed via update.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's highly unlikely that 3 bought a bunch of dual SIM devices and went out of their way to disable it. It would be a single SIM ROM, and probably a single SIM tray. Usually it would require a slightly different SIM tray to fit the second SIM.

It does have a second slot where a nano sim fits perfectly. The second slot is software locked and is only meant to be used for nano memory card. I have actually tried 2 sims in it and the tray is designed for it, but the software is only designed for one sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wasn’t that software unlock promised later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Blazer wrote: »
    Wasn’t that software unlock promised later on?

From who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

From who?

I thought I read that Huawei had promised it earlier on. Will see if I can find it.

No it, however on the xda site they already have a guide for the P20 Pro so won’t be long I imagine.
    Huawei will give you the boot loader unlock as well.

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    I thought I read that Huawei had promised it earlier on. Will see if I can find it.

As far as I know the single sim and dual sim are two different model numbers.
    Dual sim doesn’t interest me. I don’t travel outside of Europe much. I can use my allowance in the eu.

My status on Vodafone is saying dispatched. Does an post still deliver online orders on saturdays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Have the Mate 10 and so want this phone and so cannot afford it

Hoping Santa brings me a nice prezzie if the hints are hitting home.

My only issues, seeing some vids, are the fingerprint sensor doesn't seem all that responsive (on the Mate 10 its immediate) and the face unlock - why do I have to swipe up, I'm looking at the phone so obviously I want to be able to use it. Is there any way to disable the swipe up so it just unlocks? (edit, seen in another vid that it just unlocks and done)

fritzelly wrote: »

My only issues, seeing some vids, are the fingerprint sensor doesn't seem all that responsive (on the Mate 10 its immediate) and the face unlock - why do I have to swipe up, I'm looking at the phone so obviously I want to be able to use it. Is there any way to disable the swipe up so it just unlocks? (edit, seen in another vid that it just unlocks and done)

Yes you can. You can disable the swipe up in the settings. The face unlock is absolutely fantastic, very very quick.

Yes you can. You can disable the swipe up in the settings. The face unlock is absolutely fantastic, very very quick.

How are you still finding the colors, looks great in vids but not a real representation

How are you still finding the colors, looks great in vids but not a real representation

Colours are muted. I've googled it and it seems I'm not the only one. As good as the camera is the display is taking away from the quality of the shots.

Colours are muted. I've googled it and it seems I'm not the only one. As good as the camera is the display is taking away from the quality of the shots.

That is one thing that would turn me off it, I want my retinas burnt out by the display.
    Surprising given the specs of the screen - should be amazing.
    Only reviews I can find online are saying it's not as good as...S9 etc but no real info about it.
    Is it you are just used to better and not realising its still amazing or ...

That is one thing that would turn me off it, I want my retinas burnt out by the display.
    Surprising given the specs of the screen - should be amazing.

Im just hoping there is a setting or a fix for it because everything else is very impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have the mate 10 Pro myswlf and being honest I can't say a bad word about the phone I was going to buy the mate 20 Pro and was like I have a phone I am happy with so no point getting rid of a good phone for something new.

Next year it will be about 5G ;). So I am waiting for a 5G phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Have the mate 10 Pro myswlf and being honest I can't say a bad word about the phone I was going to buy the mate 20 Pro and was like I have a phone I am happy with so no point getting rid of a good phone for something new.

Next year it will be about 5G ;). So I am waiting for a 5G phone.

How are people finding the gesture control? I'm coming from a P20 Pro and loved that you could do all your gestures with the fingerprint scanner button like go back and swipe between apps.

I'm certain apps I notice when I'm in a picture I'm not able to find a back button. Swiping left is supposed to be it but doesn't seem to work that well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sth_safal

My initial review on this:
    Phone looks great and feels great in hand. Right weight and feel. Would have loved the green or blue variant with the coating on the back because its a fingerprint magnet in black. I still hate that it doesn't come with a case.

Battery is superb. Can't complain a bit. Best in class even at good brightness level.

No problem with fingerprint scanner or the Face unlock. Face unlock is super fast.

Gesture navigation is okay. Can swipe from either side to go back. Sometimes I get confused thinking swiping from other side goes forward similar to iOS which is not the case. It goes back from either side. Gesture navigation however affects apps which has swipe to menu apps like Gmail and Maps. You have to press the menu button to bring the menu. It also has issues with third party launcher. I use Nova and swiping up gives task manager most of the time than home. When it shows home, the graphics is a bit glitchy.

Camera: I prefer my pixel 2 XL almost all of the time. Even the night sight is 100 times better than night mode. Front camera is still like P20 Pro, soft and off colour. Wide angle lens however is very useful but quality takes a massive hit during low light situation.

Reponsiveness: buttery smooth. No issues at all.

Color Saturation: I find my Pixel 2 XL so much vibrant that I am finding it hard to switch and am planning to let sell mate 20 pro. I have tried Display Calibration app which helped slightly but still kind of muted specially the reds. It's however strange that the colors pop when using YouTube in HDR so hopefully huawei will fix it.

Speakers: okay but again can't beat Pixel 2 XL in terms on clarity and loudness.

Bootloader unlock might be available from funkyhuawei which might allow changing it to Dual Sim but it will cost at least 110USD.

Other remarks: Its C432 variant this time so we can expect software updates a bit quicker that C782 which was with P20 Pro on Three.

Received it from Vodafone this morning. Great phone, haven't had time to give it a proper run in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

Received it from Vodafone this morning. Great phone, haven't had time to give it a proper run in yet.

Did Vodafone give the introductory gifts with it do you mind me asking?

cowlick wrote: »

No but I have pm'd the reps about it who are looking into it

cowlick wrote: »

Litterally just after getting this response from Vodafone reps

"Hi there,

I have spoken to our warehouse, it looks like only the handset was included. They are organising a delivery of the charger and watch to you ASAP.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Recieved this Saturday. Very impressed so far.

Coming from an S8+.

Fingerprint reader very fast, but even if smart unlock turned on for a certain Bluetooth device I still have to unlock using my fingerprint and not a swipe up.

Camera is a big improvement over the s8 as would be expected.

Battery life is crazy, full 2 days of constant use.

Sound is very crisp and clear from the dual speakers but not as loud as the s8.

My gear s3 watch is pretty unusable now, both the gear app and the gear transfer app that's required destroy the battery.. I also noticed when wearing the watch in stand alone mode, the step count on the watch is. About 3000 where as the Huawei on phone app is over 5000.

Anyone know why this is?

• Advertisement

Just a follow up post having used the phone a day now I can safely say moving from ios was the best decision I made. Android in my opinion has become superior and thats coming from an apple fan boy for the past 7 years.
    Huawei has created the closest experience I've seen to ios.
    If anyone is hesitant to make the switch, I say do it.
    I have been locked into the apple eco system with apple watch and mac but I think it's been a sacrifice worth making.
    I just can justify the price of iPhones anymore so apple thanks for hiking up the prices :)

Prepay with Three -locked or un-locked?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Prepay with Three -locked or un-locked?

Unlocked

dan786 wrote: »
    Unlocked

- Great - what cover did you get for it if you don't mind me asking?

OK so Vodafone sent me the phone and signed me up to a 30 day plan 1 month contract. What's that about 😅
    Pity it's locked to the network 😂

• Advertisement

Dont like cases on a phone. Waiting for Dbrand to release the skins for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

I got this today https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JVQ5VWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wtZ6BbB2Y8364

Really nice fit

Does anyone know how to record video in black and white with the subjects in full colour? Can't seem to find this in the camera at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ham hock

Does anyone know how to record video in black and white with the subjects in full colour? Can't seem to find this in the camera at all

In video mode in the camera app there is a small Icon on the bottom left hand side like a stick with 3 small stars around it - this brings you in the different filters for video. You must be running SW version B122 for this to be enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

clacks wrote: »

not a bad looking case, is there a screen protector on it?

I bought this cover it arrived today. Good feel to it just like the official iPhone cases.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202479867347

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone chanced ordering the chinese version (from wonda mobile). https://www.wondamobile.com/mobile/huawei/huawei-mate-20x-cn-256gb-sim-free-unlocked.html

Seems about the same price as on payg here but you get 256GB storage and 8GB ram. Only thing is it's not factory sealed as they have to install google play on it. Sounds like a Chinese rom too so wondering how many chinese apps are on it and even if you can get ota updates. If you read the q&a they say you can disable the chinese apps and don't answer the question directly as to whether you can uninstall them.

Next model down is significantly cheaper then buying here but same spec other then dual sim and its available in twilight.

Btw, is the Three version definitely unlocked and is there any three startup screen or other three specific bloat. VF have told me they will only sell it an upgrade.

You've linked to the Mate 20 pro x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

You've linked to the Mate 20 pro x

doh! And so I did....so there is no version of the Pro with 8GB ram and 256GB storage it seems.

I'm seriously interested in the Pro though. I'm wondering how prevalent this screen bleed issue is though. Have many boardies experienced this :

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/mate-20-pro-problems-3615443

I was also looking at the Pixel 3 XL but the large notch, chin and frosted back which is easily marked (though can be cleaned) put me off.

Last option would be the One Plus 6T which is a nice bit cheaper. Not sure about the camera though.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Anyone chanced ordering the chinese version (from wonda mobile). https://www.wondamobile.com/mobile/huawei/huawei-mate-20x-cn-256gb-sim-free-unlocked.html

Seems about the same price as on payg here but you get 256GB storage and 8GB ram. Only thing is it's not factory sealed as they have to install google play on it. Sounds like a Chinese rom too so wondering how many chinese apps are on it and even if you can get ota updates. If you read the q&a they say you can disable the chinese apps and don't answer the question directly as to whether you can uninstall them.

Next model down is significantly cheaper then buying here but same spec other then dual sim and its available in twilight.

Btw, is the Three version definitely unlocked and is there any three startup screen or other three specific bloat. VF have told me they will only sell it an upgrade.

I moved from eir to Vodafone for this handset. That wasn't an upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Anyone order from amazon with the promotion? I just got an email saying my promotion claim was rejected because I'm not resident in the UK. I got the phone delivered to parcel motel, and asked for the charger and watched to be delivered there too. Not too happy..
    Anyone have a successful claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Was looking at one in a CW today and the screen looked excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

clacks wrote: »
    Anyone order from amazon with the promotion? I just got an email saying my promotion claim was rejected because I'm not resident in the UK. I got the phone delivered to parcel motel, and asked for the charger and watched to be delivered there too. Not too happy..
    Anyone have a successful claim?

What's the detail of the promotion?
    Can you post up a link

Right after 2 weeks the phone has developed the green screen issue. Three told me to bring it to store and it will be sent off for repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

dan786 wrote: »
    Right after 2 weeks the phone has developed the green screen issue. Three told me to bring it to store and it will be sent off for repair

After 2 weeks I would be fighting with them to get a replacement phone and I would not take a repair on it.

Are you still in your cooling off period for your contact if you got on a contact ?.

After 2 weeks I would be fighting with them to get a replacement phone and I would not take a repair on it.

Are you still in your cooling off period for your contact if you got on a contact ?.

Prepay.

Ofcourse I wont be accepting a repair. Rang Huawei they gave me a reference number to give to Three , it has to be replaced immediately as per Huawei.

Rang Three they dont have a clue and dont even know where to look up the reference, this includes a Supervisor. She will ring Huawei and get back to me tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about that dan786. Any hassles mention small claims court and European Union legislation and Boards. Ie. We are watching closely Three Mobile.

Sorry to hear about that dan786. Any hassles mention small claims court and European Union legislation and Boards. Ie. We are watching closely Three Mobile.

Three have been horrible so far. They havent got a clue.

I made a thread there , if anyone wants to send in some support etc haha.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057932928

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Hi all, I currently have an s9, I'm toying with the idea of selling the s9 and getting a mate 20 pro.
    Does anyone have any experience with both the s9 and mate 20 pro? If so what's your experience?
    My main reason for changing would be the better camera and battery.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Hi all, I currently have an s9, I'm toying with the idea of selling the s9 and getting a mate 20 pro.
    Does anyone have any experience with both the s9 and mate 20 pro? If so what's your experience?
    My main reason for changing would be the better camera and battery.
    Cheers

Advertisement