Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills from New Landlord

Options
  • 15-10-2018 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Normally all bills are split evenly without the option to opt out of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

davindub wrote: »

Normally you don't pay 195 for Internet for 2 months, though.

This is top of the range sky subscription and if one doesn't use TV it is the owners problem.

OP, you need to have a chat and talk like adults about the bills. If there was oil delivery recently there should be a proof, too.

Oil is always tricky to divide, but nothing grown ups can't sort out. Just communicate with them and all will be good. If not happy, look for a new place where things are more clear.

If you are charged for something, you should be given a proof, be it a receipt or a bill, and this should be reasonable expenses only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

They are not your landlord you are not a tenant but a licensee renting a room. You don’t have any tenancy rights. You live with them and their rules or you move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In a house share sure, in the ops situation I would have thought renting a room is a flat fee, bills included. I wouldn't feel comfortable in that situation, a tank of oil alone is a huge upfront cost for a precarious living situation like that.

wonski wrote: »

Normally you don't pay 195 for Internet for 2 months, though.

This is top of the range sky subscription and if one doesn't use TV it is the owners problem.

OP, you need to have a chat and talk like adults about the bills. If there was oil delivery recently there should be a proof, too.

Oil is always tricky to divide, but nothing grown ups can't sort out. Just communicate with them and all will be good. If not happy, look for a new place where things are more clear.

If you are charged for something, you should be given a proof, be it a receipt or a bill, and this should be reasonable expenses only.

Its the basic package cost in Dublin. Shocking I know.

• Advertisement

In a house share sure, in the ops situation I would have thought renting a room is a flat fee, bills included. I wouldn't feel comfortable in that situation, a tank of oil alone is a huge upfront cost for a precarious living situation like that.

It can be but then the op agreed to it. He would have a case to get a refund if he left before the oil was used etc. Oil is cheaper if you buy in bulk, so worth doing.

Flat fees can be charged but they are included in the 14k limit (actual bills ate not).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They can have you leave at any time.

Madness paying €€€s for oil etc and then be gone.

Sounds like a mess.

Dublin in Ireland?

No it is not. Unless you completely don't care about the bills and pick whatever option from whatever supplier hoping your licensee will chip in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

Not sure what you mean but in my text I stated that they told me that the bill would be for wi-fi while they secretly had a TV plan. when they sent me the bill, they said internet but not internet and TV. I never subscribe for any service and they are hiding under the fact that bills are shared to indulge and then force me to share the bill with them.
    I would think the cost of basic bills is shared rather try to get someone into your house to pay for your frivolities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Easiest thing for all concerned would be to move out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Sounds like a kind of rapey (not a typo btw) situation op. Get the hell out asap.

I am considering doing that but then could risk loosing my deposit. as well the difficulty in finding a new place

Dublin in Ireland?

No it is not. Unless you completely don't care about the bills and pick whatever option from whatever supplier hoping your licensee will chip in :)

Yes Ireland...Dublin.....Sky. You obviously dont have Sky or you would know that is the cost, so maybe you should accept it when someone who has Sky tells you that is the cost?

Yes Ireland...Dublin.....Sky. You obviously dont have Sky or you would know that is the cost, so maybe you should accept it when someone who has Sky tells you that is the cost?

They use virgin not sky. the point is that they want to share the additional cost of tv with me while calling it internet bills.

Unanimous wrote: »

Not sure what you mean but in my text I stated that they told me that the bill would be for wi-fi while they secretly had a TV plan. when they sent me the bill, they said internet but not internet and TV. I never subscribe for any service and they are hiding under the fact that bills are shared to indulge and then force me to share the bill with them.
    I would think the cost of basic bills is shared rather try to get someone into your house to pay for your frivolities.

Tv would be basic to most, btw the price difference between wifi and wifi tv tends to be low with sky/upc.

Look you know your own situation but the landlord can give you notice straight away and get someone who lives at the same standard. Im not suggesting you pay extortiant bills but a 195 bill split 3 ways every 2 months compared to a wifi only bill over 3 months is not going to be significant.

Don't want to derail the thread, but sky basic package does not cost 195 for two months.

And their pricing is the same for the rest of the country, unless you are on some kind of special Dublin offer. But even if you are it does not cost almost 100 a month.

We talking basic package not sky sports HD and all that stuff that I would not expect to pay unless someone asked me first.

I am sky customer BTW ;)

Tv would be basic to most, btw the price difference between wifi and wifi tv tends to be low with sky/upc.

Look you know your own situation but the landlord can give you notice straight away and get someone who lives at the same standard. Im not suggesting you pay extortiant bills but a 195 bill split 3 ways every 2 months compared to a wifi only bill over 3 months is not going to be significant.

considering the fact the cost for 2 months was 64eur which is significant to me esp when thats my transport to and from work for 2 weeks.
    If he had a flat fare for the bills I would understand but thats not the case. he was also not straight forward about it.
    Given the fact that he is now going to make me pay for gas to fill the tank, I am not sure I trust what he says which is why I am not comfortable about the situation.
    It is his home and should ideally have a TV if he wanted to but if iwasnt in that house he would still pay for his TV. also, he has the TV in the garage where he drinks and smokes which I don't do so I would definitely not be hanging out there so the cost of the TV should be borne by him and his wife

Don't want to derail the thread, but sky basic package does not cost 195 for two months.

And their pricing is the same for the rest of the country, unless you are on some kind of special Dublin offer. But even if you are it does not cost almost 100 a month.

We talking basic package not sky sports HD and all that stuff that I would not expect to pay unless someone asked me first.

I am sky customer BTW ;)

Capture.png

94 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Capture.png

94 per month.

You're being ripped off. Ring up and say you're cancelling and they'll knock 25% to 50% for a 12 month contract depending how much you negotiate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Why did you divide the WiFi bill by 3 months? Broadband on its own is generally 40-50€ per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

House share situation like yours really should be an agreed flat rate for bills.
    Internet is flat rate anyway
    Bins varies a bit but realistically shouldn't be much more than they currently use.
    Oil its too hard to determine usage so they should have just agreed a flat rate with you.
    Electricity maybe split that as it comes in but even that tbh for a single person in a house share its easier just to agree a flat rate so long as they don't start taking the piss with it.

OP personally I'd be trying to find somewhere else, it sounds a bit off, but I understand you concerns.
    Maybe try have a conversation where you just agree a flat rate going forward with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Had a similar situation when renting a place up the north.

The house was owned by a man whose wife was running the hairdressers downstairs.

So while it wasn't owner occupied, they definitely treated it like it was. They let themselves in and out whenever they wanted, demanded we get professional cleaners in which we paid for only to find out later it was herself.

They also wanted us to pay the oil bill which was madness because the three of us were working in the area on a FIFO basis. One week I was alone, the other week it would be the two of them. When we were there, we worked 12 hours a day.

And yet the oil was mysteriously gone after two months despite none of us really using it? We later found out that the ****ers downstairs were using OUR oil for THEIR heating and asking us to pay for it.

Long story short, when you have pricks like that just get out of there. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Could you not pay for the oil monthly? I don't know how much it costs to fill a tank but let's say it's 300 annually, your share would be 100, devide that by 12, works out at just over 8e per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Could you not pay for the oil monthly? I don't know how much it costs to fill a tank but let's say it's 300 annually, your share would be 100, devide that by 12, works out at just over 8e per month.

The problem is its a bit of an unknown. It might cost 1,000 over the year it might be 2,000. Depending on how cold the winter ends up being the oil usage can vary.

Now it is possible to dip the oil and measure to see how much is being used but its not as easy as say a gas bill.

thanks for the advice.
    Thankfully I have opted out of the wifi esp with the way it was handled.
    I had a conversation with them and will see how things play out

Advertisement