Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Turbo Trainer options - gradient simulation

Options
  • 15-10-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I am looking to upgrade my tacx blue turbo to a smart direct drive turbo.

Options I'm considering are

Tacx Flux S
    Elite Direto
    Wahoo kickr core

The tacx is the cheapest but it allows only a 10% gradient.

My question is, do I need more than a 10% simulation?

I like the idea of riding famous climbs virtually via kinomap and the like. How many climbs go beyond 10% and what happens on the turbo when the simulation suggests more than 10.

The other two go more than 10% but not sure they are worth the premium

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Direct drive trumps gradient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

AmberGold wrote: »
    Direct drive trumps gradient.

I'm not sure what you mean...all the options above are direct drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Sorry mixed the Core up with the SNAP, I've been using Wahoo for years and have had no issues, they now have an Irish agent which is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

The new Tacx Flux 2 will replicate 16% gradient  . 
     More realistic if you intend using Zwift etc .    Only really beneficial if you want real accuracy in races and training programmes .

In the past I've used Trainerroad and so gradient simulation wasn't an issue, but keen to jump on the zwift train.

It sounds like The Flux S's 10% gradient would be a hindrance??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

In Zwift most people ride with the gradient set to 50% anyway, I think Zwift defaults to this. So while Zift might show you that you are going up a 10% climb it's only telling the trainer its 5%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The tacx flow that I use only does around 10% which basically means I'm using higher gears on the simulated gradients than the corresponding road ones. Still fit to puke afterwards if I push it :)

Bought the Elite Direto from Mantel....679 euro

Pain is inbound

Advertisement