Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon FBA USA/Ireland

Options
  • 15-10-2018 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of starting my Amazon Private label business. I have sourced my product and it will hopefully be in the US by the end of the month (Oct. 2018). I'm looking to see is there anyone else selling on the American Amazon from Ireland (as it would be great to know a group of like minded individuals) and also to learn how you have set yourself up tax wise.

I know people are usually very caging about giving out tax advice, so what I'm more looking for is guidance on what things I should watch out for as not to get caught out. I want to pay whatever taxes I owe but set myself up in the most efficient manner possible.

Accountants are just a bit to pricey for me at this stage and I'm trying to do a lot of the research myself. I will hopefully be able to afford one in the near future.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Good morning,

There are a number of Amazon groups on FB. If you PM me I will send you the links.

Have you registered as a Foreign Importer of Record in the USA? Is your product subject to import duty in the USA? If so, have you set up a customs entry bond or are you working with a Single Entry Bond (fees are quite substantial).

I am in the process of assisting an Irish company from a Logistics perspective to start shipping to Amazon in the USA. I have gathered some information on Amazon and would be happy to guide you in the right direction.

This link is about Amazon in the UK; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1671 Not sure if that is of any help?

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭akira336

Thanks very much for the reply Rudolf.

I have not set up as a Foreign Importer of Record. I was going to but then I was able to get my manufacturer to ship it for me. They have agreed to ship DDP (Delivered Duties Paid). I presume they are taking responsibility for the import duties or any other costs associated. I could be wrong though, as I said, this is my very first shipment. There is a ton of info out there and I am constantly trawling through it.

I'm also in the middle of registering with Revenue so I can register for Corporation Tax. It's tricky as none of my sales will be in Ireland, so I'm not sure about VAT. I have gone ahead and said I would be registering for VAT just incase I decided to sell on Amazon UK down the road.

For now I will just be keeping record of everything, I will file the B1 Form myself as it requires no financial statements and then for my first annual return I will hopefully have an accountant by then. I just don't want to have any tax issues here or America, but it's a bit of a minefield as the system here and in the US does not seem to know how to deal with Foreign Amazon sellers.

akira336 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the reply Rudolf.

I have not set up as a Foreign Importer of Record. I was going to but then I was able to get my manufacturer to ship it for me. They have agreed to ship DDP (Delivered Duties Paid). I presume they are taking responsibility for the import duties or any other costs associated. I could be wrong though, as I said, this is my very first shipment. There is a ton of info out there and I am constantly trawling through it.

I'm also in the middle of registering with Revenue so I can register for Corporation Tax. It's tricky as none of my sales will be in Ireland, so I'm not sure about VAT. I have gone ahead and said I would be registering for VAT just incase I decided to sell on Amazon UK down the road.

For now I will just be keeping record of everything, I will file the B1 Form myself as it requires no financial statements and then for my first annual return I will hopefully have an accountant by then. I just don't want to have any tax issues here or America, but it's a bit of a minefield as the system here and in the US does not seem to know how to deal with Foreign Amazon sellers.

Hello Akira,

I am concerned that you are making the assumption that your supplier knows how to deal with Amazon. Paying the duty is only one aspect. Amazon makes it very clear that they will not accept any responsibility as Importer of Record. If your supplier assumes that responsibility, well and good. However, I would suggest checking with your supplier what arrangements they are making and if they are aware of the requirements to deliver to Amazon.

I may not have all the answers immediately to hand, but I have several contacts in the USA that do deliveries to Amazon and they are only an e-mail or phone call away. If at any stage you need assistance, let me know.

Again, there is a lot of help available on FB in a number of groups. Let me know if you need the links to these groups. A client of mine also recommended a Mayo man living in London who has had a lot of success in selling on Amazon and who is teaching people on how to succeed.

Cheers,
    Rudolf 289

Ok, Thanks Rudolf. I will look into the immediately

I am in 2 FB groups at the moment but I would appreciate if you could send me on the links for the ones you have. Thanks again for all your help

• Advertisement

akira336 wrote: »
    I am in 2 FB groups at the moment but I would appreciate if you could send me on the links for the ones you have. Thanks again for all your help

Good morning,

Here is a link to a thread on boards.ie that you may have come across https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057831694

There are some useful links in that.

Advertisement