Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding a new hedge for winter.

Options
  • 15-10-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I planted approx. 100 bare root Griselinia back in early April. They've thrived well through the summer and the hedge is looking very healthy.
    My question is, what's the best fertiliser, if any, to keep it fed through the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Congratulations on keeping them alive during the drought we had this summer!
    My advice is not to feed it at all until next spring. Plants won't need feeding during the winter. They will need watching in case winter gales shake them loose and they begin to rock. Heel them in firmly or in extreme cases they may need staking.
    Otherwise just wait until spring - make sure they never dry out once growth starts and perhaps apply a weak feed now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Chicken manure pellets in late March is what I use and for the first two years keep em watered well during the summer.

Advertisement