Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD's as Landlords

Options
  • 15-10-2018 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

Can't believe the amount of TD's as Landlords....

If you click on the circles that are bold it gives you a pop up with links to their properties.

http://tdlandlords.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You’d think that with that many they’d pass more landlord friendly legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I've sometimes wondered - there's nothing really stopping a TD buying a property and putting it in their brother / sons / aunties name is there?
    Presumably thats a fairly straight-forward way around the register of interests they're supposed to fill out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have to be honest I can’t see the obsession people have about this, TDs are engaged in a range of business operations.
    Didn’t Mr flat cap from Kerry draw €1.5million from Irish Water for equipment hire while whinging about them every single day in the Dail and the money they were wasting.

I don’t care what they do if they are good at their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

mad m wrote: »

If you click on the circles that are bold it gives you a pop up with links to their properties.

How do we know the data is accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

How do we know the data is accurate?

Don't they have to declare it as part of the ethics form or something they have to submit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

_Brian wrote: »
    Have to be honest I can’t see the obsession people have about this, TDs are engaged in a range of business operations.
    Didn’t Mr flat cap from Kerry draw €1.5million from Irish Water for equipment hire while whinging about them every single day in the Dail and the money they were wasting.

I don’t care what they do if they are good at their jobs.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I would prefer business men and landlords to be part of the headcount in Dail Eireann.

We would also need people from public private sectors, unionised and non-unionised workers, non-workers, poor people, rich people etc etc......

Being a TD should not have any qualifications or exemptions but all too often people vote for professionals and the like in the mistaken belief that they will represent the interests of all people, including the marginally educated and poor school performers. They do not and this needs to be looked at.

The only factory worker I recall being in the Dail was Jim Kemmy, a stone mason by trade. Likewise we could do with more non-working housewives in the Dail and more pensioners etc..

Because their numbers are not big enough in one area, Travellers should get a Senate seat to at least allow them to start being represented directly in government affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,796 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Diceicle wrote: »
    I've sometimes wondered - there's nothing really stopping a TD buying a property and putting it in their brother / sons / aunties name is there?
    Presumably thats a fairly straight-forward way around the register of interests they're supposed to fill out?

Anyone other than their spouse - tax issues all the way down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

doolox wrote: »
    I would prefer business men and landlords to be part of the headcount in Dail Eireann.

We would also need people from public private sectors, unionised and non-unionised workers, non-workers, poor people, rich people etc etc......

Being a TD should not have any qualifications or exemptions but all too often people vote for professionals and the like in the mistaken belief that they will represent the interests of all people, including the marginally educated and poor school performers. They do not and this needs to be looked at.

The only factory worker I recall being in the Dail was Jim Kemmy, a stone mason by trade. Likewise we could do with more non-working housewives in the Dail and more pensioners etc..

Because their numbers are not big enough in one area, Travellers should get a Senate seat to at least allow them to start being represented directly in government affairs.

I think democracy is a better system.

The primary role of the Dail is as the principal chamber of the Irish legislature. Trying to fit people in who don't have the slightest idea about legislating is car crash stuff and would grind the house to a halt.

We need more pensioners in Dail? You know we already have a number of TDs in their 70s? Do you feel pensioners interests aren't being considered? More non-working housewives? But surely then they'd stop being non-working housewives?

There's nothing stopping people from running. If groups feel underrepresented then they should run or vote for different candidates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Diceicle wrote: »

Depends if they are borrowing or buying with cash. Then theres Revenue considerations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Begrudgery. Once they are tax compliant what's the problem?
    Do people think we would be better off with a Dail full of Social Workers, National Teachers, Trade Union officials and reps from Pavee Point and other quangos?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So what? They haven't done landlords any favours. If you think they are doing them favour in tax and legislation tell us.

The assumption is they are but I have never seen any evidence of this.

More worried about how many are teachers to be honest. Teachers aren't smart people they just know stuff before their pupils. Learnt that in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why not?
    Most probably have only a single extra property, many people with a decent wage will have be a landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

ted1 wrote: »
    Many people with a decent wage will have be a landlord

Well I’m not one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Well I’m not one. :)

Lucky you...

Is it not a conflict of interests being a TD and a landlord?
    Why would you work to lower rents if you were a landlord?
    Yes they haven't made things easier for landlords but by doing nothing they are helping themselves to plenty of dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is it not a conflict of interests being a TD and a landlord?
    Why would you work to lower rents if you were a landlord?
    Yes they haven't made things easier for landlords but by doing nothing they are helping themselves to plenty of dough.

but then it would also be a conflict of interest to be a publican and a td, or to own shares or to be a teacher.

Fortunately everyone's interests are public and the people get to vote on if they are willing to accept those interests.

It would be interesting if some group published the register of member interests entries for the tds in a consistency in that constituency to see if it would change people's votes at all.

Advertisement