Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post collection fee 10 euro

Options
  • 15-10-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Ordered some stuff from the US, value almost $40, V.A.T. close to 8 euro. So the problem I have with An Post is that they want 10 euro for collecting the money for customs.

I never ordered such service from An Post. I never agreed that they will collect the money for customs. What sort of business model is this? They basically offer a service nobody wants.

I did some research and found a GUIDE on revenue.ie:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/guide-to-importing-goods-through-the-post.pdf

It says:

"6. An Post Handling fee
    Any package that attracts import charges will also incur an An Post handling fee which
    is currently €10."

I dug further but couldn't find any relevant law. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think such law exists.

What is this supposed to mean??? I don't understand how is such practice allowed? Revenue and An Post (both government organisations) are basically illegally scamming people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Next time I will order something I want the packet and then I will go and pay the customs any fee that supposed to be paid. That's the way it will be. An Post can't force me to pay this 10e fee wtf is this??? Are we in Russia or developed first world country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

did you order on your own address or with addresspal ?

You agree to this handling charge when you choose to use an post as carrier. It's a balls but not much you can do. There is a clause where if the amount of vat due is under €7.xx they won't collect. Sounds like you're just outside that though

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

Unfortunately, that's not how things work. If Customs intercept a package in An Post on which duty or VAT is payable, then An Post is obliged to collect such payments on behalf of Revenue and €10 is their charge for doing that.

also ... only had one order this year from NZ that required a revenue tax of ~ 40 euro: the courier was not Anpost, I paid the tax to the courier, and I don't remember paying additional charges.

• Advertisement

Can anybody point me to the right direction?

I checked An posts's Schedule of charges and it says Collection of fee for revenue is 10 euro. This is what they charge, but where it says I have to pay this?

None of you actually answered this question so far.

Bodhran wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that's not how things work. If Customs intercept a package in An Post on which duty or VAT is payable, then An Post is obliged to collect such payments on behalf of Revenue and €10 is their charge for doing that.

Show me where is a law that says this please. Couldn't find anything about what you say in An Posts's terms and conditions. It doesn't say anywhere recipient has to pay this fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're paying for customs clearance.

If you want to avoid that you can complete the documentation yourself and pay a courier to pick your item in the US and deliver it here. You will probably end up paying 2x as much shipping but you won't pay the handling fee.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Can anybody point me to the right direction?

I checked An posts's Schedule of charges and it says Collection of fee for revenue is 10 euro. This is what they charge, but where it says I have to pay this?

None of you actually answered this question so far.

You don't have to pay, no .
    If you want the item you will though.
    We've all been caught by this before and we've all tried to work a way out of it. There isn't one

An post's terms and conditions:

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/Postal+Terms+and+Conditions

I am still looking where it says recipient has to pay the 10 euro fee. It certainly isn't in An Posts's T&C's and there is no law where this is mentioned.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You're paying for customs clearance.

If you want to avoid that you can complete the documentation yourself and pay a courier to pick your item in the US and deliver it here. You will probably end up paying 2x as much shipping but you won't pay the handling fee.

That is not true.

I am paying a company (that's basically postal service and nothing else) to collect payment for customs. This service I never ordered.

An post supposed to deliver a packet to me. What sort of deal they have with Customs has nothing to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I am still looking where it says recipient has to pay the 10 euro fee. It certainly isn't in An Posts's T&C's and there is no law where this is mentioned.

They have your parcel. They are providing a service for the Revenue Commissioners. They pass on the administration fee (this would include covering the storage while you dither about deciding wether to pay or not). If you don’t like it they will return your parcel at no cost to you. If you want your parcel you pay. It’s not a scam. They are a business.

ecently received a parcel from abroad. Why is there duty and / or VAT due on my item?

Customs have a statutory right to examine all parcels coming from outside the EU. It is the Revenue Commissioners who raise these charges and An Post collect them on their behalf. For further details you can contact them directly on 01 7059737.

A fee of 1% of the value, with a minimum charge of €10 per packet and parcel, is charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the European Union. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable. Items coming from destinations outside the EU may be subject to delay due to customs examination.
    From their FAQs.
    I agree with you that it's a bit unjust, but this is what you agree to when you use an post as a carrier.
    Fight it in the courts if you want and if you win you'll go down as my hero but there's very little recourse in claiming you didn't agree to these charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What is the consumer issue here? What is your end goal? A refund of the handling fee?

I would take it that you've solicited a service, and so are responsible for this payment // its only seller/recipient/anpost and revenue on this - who else would you think should pay the fee ...

- I do wonder if you had the option to go with another courier than anpost, would the fee be different then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That is not true.

I am paying a company (that's basically postal service and nothing else) to collect payment for customs. This service I never ordered.

An post supposed to deliver a packet to me. What sort of deal they have with Customs has nothing to do with me.

All the delivery companies charge collection fees and I'd wager good money that when you purchased the item you ticked a box saying that you may be charged local taxes and charges.

If I buy a car abroad and have it shipped to Ireland will the courier company automatically process the relevant fees for me? Will they do all the paperwork automatically, or will they offer (ASK ME) to do the paperwork for me?

Not they won't. So An post being a government company just f**ks people over.

If I buy a car abroad and have it shipped to Ireland will the courier company automatically process the relevant fees for me? Will they do all the paperwork automatically, or will they offer (ASK ME) to do the paperwork for me?

Big bad gubberment does not make this a consumer issue.

I never agreed to An post's T& C's, USPS is the company that sent the packet from the US. How is them showing up at my door my agreement with their T&C's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just pay the charges and collect your item. Lesson learned and move on with your life.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    All the delivery companies charge collection fees and I'd wager good money that when you purchased the item you ticked a box saying that you may be charged local taxes and charges.

Never ticked any box that says this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It is the law, an post must collect any customs due.Customs Act

Edit: to save you the time, scroll to section 7 a b and c

I never agreed to An post's T& C's, USPS is the company that sent the packet from the US. How is them showing up at my door my agreement with their T&C's?

Go to the website you ordered from and read their terms and conditions. Chances are that they say you may be nabbed for tax and fees on import. Import duties and feed are no secret. They have been around for donkey years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

USPS don't operate in Ireland (obviously) so they pass it onto our postal service.

All items coming into the EU over a certain value are subject to customs. That's the law.
    An Post leverages a customs charge on top for the hassle or sorting out the fee, same as DHL FedEx etc. That's not a law, but since they're the only postal game in town, who else is gonna deliver your package?

You can either pay up and get your item, or have them send it back at no cost. You can stamp your feet all you want but thems the choices.

It is the law, an post must collect any customs due.Customs Act

Edit: to save you the time, scroll to section 7 a b and c

It doesn't say anything about An Post's processing fee.

---

I don't think you people understand what the problem is here. The packets should come with Customs form that the recipient will fill out and pay the relevant fees to Revenue. Still not ok to do it the way they do it (even though the law states it-that I couldn't find before). Simple as that. The only reason it works this way is that they have the packet, which means they demand the fee (ransom?) to release the packet. I've been told by an An Post employee that a lot of packets is being sent back to the sender because people refuse to pay this fee. Which makes perfect sense. 10 euro. Really? I will order 4 different packets = 40 euro? Such scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

---

I don't think you people understand what the problem is here. The packets should come with Customs form that the recipient will fill out and pay the relevant fees to Revenue. Still not ok to do it the way they do it (even though the law states it-that I couldn't find before). Simple as that. The only reason it works this way is that they have the packet, which means they demand the fee (ransom?) to release the packet. I've been told by an An Post employee that a lot of packets is being sent back to the sender because people refuse to pay this fee. Which makes perfect sense. 10 euro. Really? I will order 4 different packets = 40 euro? Such scumbaggery.

I'm really trying to understand why you are getting so worked up over this (but struggling to be honest ). Are you under the impression that An Post are keeping this fee for themselves and not passing it onto customs? Or do you think An Post are profiting from collecting this fee for customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All couriers charge their own fees, often higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

aido79 wrote: »

---

I'm really trying to understand why you are getting so worked up over this (but struggling to be honest ). Are you under the impression that An Post are keeping this fee for themselves and not passing it onto customs? Or do you think An Post are profiting from collecting this fee for customs?
    AnPost does keep the tenner. It's an administration fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Love this thread, ask a question, then ignore/disagree with the advice people are responding with. Nice...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement