Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post collection fee 10 euro

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I don't think you understand. Did you even read the legislation? An Post must collect the duty and tax due to revenue. It clearly states that in the legislation. Revenue also state the handling fee chargeable by an post.

Next time, order the same items from within the EU, no customs charges due. Problem solved.
    Diabhalta wrote: »
    It doesn't say anything about An Post's processing fee.

---

I don't think you people understand what the problem is here. The packets should come with Customs form that the recipient will fill out and pay the relevant fees to Revenue. Still not ok to do it the way they do it (even though the law states it-that I couldn't find before). Simple as that. The only reason it works this way is that they have the packet, which means they demand the fee (ransom?) to release the packet. I've been told by an An Post employee that a lot of packets is being sent back to the sender because people refuse to pay this fee. Which makes perfect sense. 10 euro. Really? I will order 4 different packets = 40 euro? Such scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

An Post is not providing a service to you, the recipient of the parcel. They are providing a service to the consignor, the person who posted the parcel. (The provision of this service is arranged via the post office in whatever country that person is located, but that doesn't change anything.) He, not you, posts the parcel and pays for its delivery. He, not you, is the customer as far as postal services are concerned. Therefore he, not you, is the person who negotiates/agrees the deliver terms. One of the terms is that if there is tax or duty due, An Post will collect it from you as a condition of delivering the parcel, plus a handling charge. The consignor is perfectly within his rights in contracting with An Post to deliver on these terms.

If you decline to pay the handling charge, An Post will send the parcel back to the consignor. Since there will then have been no import, no tax is due, so everyone's happy. Well, everyone except you, obviously.

The reality, of course, is that the cost of paying for the goods to be delivered is passed by the consignor back to you, as part of the amount you paid when you ordered the goods. But that's none of An Post's business; it's a matter between you and the consignor. If you're unhappy about the consignor using a delivery mechanism which imposes a handling charge on you, you have to take it up with the consignor, and get him to use some other method.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tedpan wrote: »
    Love this thread, ask a question, then ignore/disagree with the advice people are responding with. Nice...

Not to mention waste about €10 of your time in the process. Some battles just ain’t worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Peregrinus wrote: »
    .......If you're unhappy about the consignor using a delivery mechanism which imposes a handling charge on you, you have to take it up with the consignor, and get him to use some other method.

If we go back to using pigeons to deliver things, all this nonsense could be avoided....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

I never agreed to An post's T& C's, USPS is the company that sent the packet from the US. How is them showing up at my door my agreement with their T&C's?

your agreement pretty much starts when you purchase an item from abroad that hasn't vat or duty applied , its cheaper for a reason!! , all carriers have a clearing charge , it **** but its there. you could pre emp this by paying the customs clearing fee from the senders side ,amazon and some ebay sellers offer this ,once pre paid you shouldn't have any other charges , unless its proven to be a fraudulent value ! The only downside is you will always pay the customs charge then !!

USPS like royal mail ,deal with an post in Ireland(this is their agreement,like many other postal services) , they are only responsible for the packet in the US, like An post are responsible in Ireland. If you want to send with one carrier and their agreements then use DHL UPS ETC and then you'll know about charges !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are we in Russia or developed first world country?
    I imagine pretty much every country you might describe as "first world" has a similar system.
    mvl wrote: »
    also ... only had one order this year from NZ that required a revenue tax of ~ 40 euro: the courier was not Anpost, I paid the tax to the courier, and I don't remember paying additional charges.
    I have never heard of any courier with no admin charges, and it is likely you paid more than €10.

I stick with an post if I can because they are the cheapest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I just think it's hilarious that the op thinks USPS will handle the actual receipt, customs processing and delivery in Ireland.

Did they think we're a US state now? :pac:

Next thing an post will be going door to door in LA......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I just wish some of you sheep wouldn't live on this planet with me... That's all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Baaaa baaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I just wish some of you sheep wouldn't live on this planet with me... That's all I can say.

Thankfully whatever planet you are on is not the same as the rest of us. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The whole country is out of step except you?

The customs and handling charges are part of living in Ireland and buying from outside the EU and An Post are handling it precisely as it should be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Sure go on out and rob the post office while youre in the mood.

Tell the Gardai you never ticked a box to say you wouldn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bodhran wrote:
    Unfortunately, that's not how things work. If Customs intercept a package in An Post on which duty or VAT is payable, then An Post is obliged to collect such payments on behalf of Revenue and €10 is their charge for doing that.

Was there excise duty involved?

Maybe they can charge a handling fee for excise duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

The internet isn't for you (on more than one level)

Stick to B&M shopping if you don't understand the pitfalls of online shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Awwwh, some boardsies have burst your reality balloon. Boooo!

On a more serious note, take a look at the Freeman Megamerge thread in Legal Discussion. You might get some help from the guys and gals discussed in that thread. Great bunch of people, of sound mind. You'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think this thread has run its course. OP has been given the legal basis for the charge and won't find someone that isn't going to charge one either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement