Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add sky box to wired network.

Options
  • 16-10-2018 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I wonder if anyone could help with this?

What is currently setup in house:

Sitting Room Downstairs-

I have a Sky Q Box using an ethernet cable going into a wall Socket. This leads back through the walls to the router in the downstairs office.

Bedroom Upstairs-

I have a second router in the bedroom to boost wifi for upstairs, using an ethernet cable connected to a wall Socket. This also leads back through the walls to the router in the downstairs office.

What Id like to do is:

Add my sky mini box upstairs to the wired network. The problem is I only have one wall socket in the bedroom where the mini box is. Can I just plug the mini box into the second router upstairs and it will connect it with the router in the office or would I need to connect the mini box directly to the wall plate using some kind of a splitter so the signal gets sent directly to the router in the office? As far as i know both Sky boxes would need to be going to the same router to work with each other but I could be wrong on that.

Sky installer was no help and told me the only way the system would work was with wi-fi boosters and cat 5 wouldn't help. Concrete floors and solid block walls are putting a stop to that. Going down the wired route myself.

Thanks in advance,

Jof.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Jofspring wrote: »
    I have a second router in the bedroom to boost wifi for upstairs, using an ethernet cable connected to a wall Socket. This also leads back through the walls to the router in the downstairs office..
    Who and how configured second router? What make/model that is?

Providing current network working fine, your second router is/should be configured as "access point". This still should allow it to act as "dumb" switch.
    Try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Who and how configured second router? What make/model that is?

Providing current network working fine, your second router is/should be configured as "access point". This still should allow it to act as "dumb" switch.
    Try.

It was the lad that put in the broadband that configured the second router. Its a TP Link Router. I think this is the one "TP-Link Wireless Router TL-WR841N". It's a local company that installed our broadband.

Jofspring wrote: »
    It was the lad that put in the broadband that configured the second router. Its a TP Link Router. I think this is the one "TP-Link Wireless Router TL-WR841N". It's a local company that installed our broadband.
    If it was installed by broadband service provider it should be OK re configuration. Amber ports at the back - switch - could be used for wired devices.

Bit slow on LAN side (according to specs: 4 × 10/100Mbps LAN ), but should do the job.

Have both boxes wired now and can't see any major problems. Network connection in settings says connected, but it pops up on the mini box at the top of the screen when I try to do a few bits saying "you don't have an internet connection but we will keep trying". I have the wi-fi turned off on both sky boxes and have been able to download tv shows, watch recorded shows and pick up shows recorded on the main box so I'm assuming it's working fine despite the warning message.

Thanks for the help.

Not Sky user

Apparently, as discussed on forums, Sky doesn't like to support Ethernet connections on this type setup. From your first post looks like Sky still want WiFi. I might be wrong, but to me sounds like mini box "must" to be directly connected to main box(over WPS)by design.

You could stick to current setup if suitable - "not broken, don't fix it" rule, or check this video and see if you want to give it a try.

You could do more research or seek advice on Sky community forums or here on boards

• Advertisement

Not Sky user

Apparently, as discussed on forums, Sky doesn't like to support Ethernet connections on this type setup. From your first post looks like Sky still want WiFi. I might be wrong, but to me sounds like mini box "must" to be directly connected to main box(over WPS)by design.

You could stick to current setup if suitable - "not broken, don't fix it" rule, or check this video and see if you want to give it a try.

You could do more research or seek advice on Sky community forums or here on boards

Cheers Smuggler.

For the moment I will go with the if I ain't broke approach as both seem to be working. Only time will tell though. Seems so backwards the way sky are going about it when more secure options are available, particularly in most new builds.

Advertisement