Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packing Foam Disposal

Options
  • 16-10-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Does anyone know anywhere local where packing foam (big box packaging) can be disposed of properly? I recently bought some computer equipment and it came packaged with a black soft foam material, not the usual expanded polystyrene stuff. I now have a heap of it sitting in the kitchen and I've no idea where to get rid of it. Big sheets around 60cm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I don't think there is recycling available for that stuff in Ireland. My guess is black bin or bring to kilbarry recycling yard where you can pay for it. You can bring it back to seller if you bought locally.
    If it's like the insulation expanded foam stuff, lay it under insulation in attic or around water tank if not already insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mexicanvader

Thanks, I'll call out to Kilbarry later and see if they can take it. Bought online so I can't bring it back to the seller, and it's more of an actual foam material rather than polystyrene

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Do a quick check to see if it dissolves in Water / Salt Water, some versions are designed that way to prevent pollution if dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It is rigid or squishy? Not that it matters for disposal as none of that stuff can be as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mexicanvader

It is rigid or squishy? Not that it matters for disposal as none of that stuff can be as far as I know.

It's a bit of both. Strange looking black 'foam', looks a lot like compressed plastic, sort of like the plastic you get in bin liners. Doesn't break down in water/salt water either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe you can cut it and make sound deadening panels out of it for an old car :D

Advertisement