Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAT Tax from UK inheritance/gift

• 16-10-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,

Hypothetically, if my grandmother died in the UK and left my mum (also in UK) a sizable cash inheritance which then she in turn decided to split between myself and my brother, then would I (a UK citizen, Irish resident for 10+ years) have to pay CAT on that?

I presume it would be treated as a gift and not inheritance as it went to my mum first.

Would the threshold of 320k apply as its from category A? Even if its a gift and not direct from an inheritance?

Would UK tax be paid so I would then get the double taxation rules and claim something back from Irish taxation?

I think I could receive anything up to category A allowance before any tax is considered - would I still need to complete the forms for CAT?

EDIT: Answered my own question on completing forms from revenue:
    "If the total value of your gifts and inheritances exceeds 80% of the relevant group threshold, you must file an IT38 return. To calculate if you have reached 80% of the threshold, include all gifts and inheritances received since 5 December 1991. This obligation applies, although you are not due to pay Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT)."

Many thanks to any answers!

Advertisement