Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uk debt, returned to Ireland

• 16-10-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I suddenly had to move from uk back to Ireland. I had approx 8k debt there which i was paying off until last month. I’m unemployed at the moment so have used the last of my savings. I have a few questions... will I be “chased” from uk to Ireland for this debt? Will uk credit rating affect my Irish rating? If in the future I apply for a mortgage will Irish banks ask for uk credit rating or what’s the cut off time period when they don’t require one?

I appreciate this is a far from ideal situation l, I’ve exhaused every means possible but I just don’t have ability to pay this back at the moment or foreseeable.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

If you've lived in the UK, Irish banks will want a UK credit check done too. I've not lived there since 2012, but had to do one for our mortgage application a couple of months ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No one can tell you for certain, but a figure of 8K might be worth some agency’s efforts to chase down if they bought it at a deep discount. You’ll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You'll need a UK credit check to apply for credit here, if you had a UK address in the past.

If you don't pay, then it stay on your UK report for six years from the default date (default date depends on type of debt). Note; even if you subsequently repay it, a default still registers in the UK credit report as a default.

Advertisement