Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Oh come on, you know me better than that at this stage.

Do you honestly think a Sacramento Kings Boogie gets away with that? Or many other players.

The point I was making (as also pointed out by another poster) is there's complete double standards at play here. Any other player says that in the US where the Jewish population react/overreact (yes) to any criticism and they're getting fined. He's gotten a lot of flack on this and not just from fans or casual fans, but journalists and a lot of media - but a pass from the NBA.

These double standards aren't limited to these comments. There's LeBron as GM when he wants something or a contract for one of his buddies (who he usually overvalues). Then when asked to commit to Cleveland for longer than a year SO THEY CAN PLAN or when asked certain questions you get "Oh, I just work here" and "nothing got to do with me".

He's pretty much gotten away with tampering this past week/fortnight with his AD comments and even when the owners complained it was another "Get out of Jail Free Card" from the NBA again. He's received heavy criticism for this from multiple outlets and ex-players, journalists etc. He talks out of both sides of his mouth a lot. There are valid reasons guys don\'t want to play with him - a narrative and storyline that's becoming more common and I know you've heard it. It's the "win and it's all down to LeBron" shtick and lose and :"he had no help" line....a line he has helped to cultivate.

He's an absolutely amazing player, but he tries too hard to control the story 100% of the time and make it all about him or what he wants the story to be.

I could go on but I'm shattered and going to bed. I wanted to watch the Celtics game but I'm too tired for even that. Night.

Also if another random NBA player posted that, it wouldn’t of even made the news

Not true, not when the comments were about Jewish people. Come on, you live in the states, you know what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A long time to wait, and I have no idea why they didn’t just announce it this time next year, but this should be great!

https://twitter.com/30for30/status/1077597378960453633?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Not true, not when the comments were about Jewish people. Come on, you live in the states, you know what it's like.

I honestly think one guy jumped on this and the rest waiting in the bushes, jumped on the bandwagon.
    Most things should be looked at in isolation and in context, look maybe iam over reacting because iam so sick and tired of this over sensitive time we live in with so much nonsensical over liberalism, it’s gotten totally out of control
    Every time I go to Starbucks, I end up rolling my eyes at some of stuff you hear people go on about, if the right in middle America live in a bubble then the left live in a bigger bubble out here, these people are offended if their shadow looks at them the wrong way
    Ok, non basketball rant over, go dubs, let’s kick lebrons ass

I haven't watched much GS this year but they look very off and out of kilter right now. They've now lost 5 games by 20 or more, and 4 of those were at Oracle. They've lost 12 games already and we're just at Christmasw hen they've averaged 15.75 losses for the last 4 seasons (incl. 24 last year which brings that figure up significantly from 13 for the previous 3 years) and they've lost a game for the first time with both Curry and Durant scoring 30+.

Draymond is playing crap, Klay not much better and they have no bench. Granted Curry was injured (again) and Boogie has yet to play but there's a lot of flaws here. Maybe it's the uncertainty over KD or maybe they're tired mentally or just think they can win every game without trying, nut there's an opportunity here this season I think for someone to take them down. Houston must be raging.

• Advertisement

I haven't watched much GS this year but they look very off and out of kilter right now. They've now lost 5 games by 20 or more, and 4 of those were at Oracle. They've lost 12 games already and we're just at Christmasw hen they've averaged 15.75 losses for the last 4 seasons (incl. 24 last year which brings that figure up significantly from 13 for the previous 3 years) and they've lost a game for the first time with both Curry and Durant scoring 30+.

Draymond is playing crap, Klay not much better and they have no bench. Granted Curry was injured (again) and Boogie has yet to play but there's a lot of flaws here. Maybe it's the uncertainty over KD or maybe they're tired mentally or just think they can win every game without trying, nut there's an opportunity here this season I think for someone to take them down. Houston must be raging.

I agree, I was at 2 of those games they were blown out and the lack of effort was appalling. Only speculating but the whole Durant thing must be playing a factor, for a team known for effort, it is a bit disconcerting. Losing the last Xmas day game at Oracle like that is very poor, Oracle is one of the all time great NBA stadiums and to go out like that is shocking.
    It’s even more annoying that they charge so much to watch these games and fans end up leaving early because the team has packed it in or think they will turn it around because of their talent level not work level.
    Maybe Cousins will give them a spark but he could also make them implode

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Oakland kid Damian Lillard hits the game winner in his last game at the Oracle (unless they meet in the playoffs).

https://streamable.com/2crdt

Had some things to say about the Warriors move to SF before the game too:
    “A lot of the real Warriors fans, a lot of times they can’t go to the games. They can’t afford it. At that time, we were able to go to the games. Nowadays, a really good ticket is way more expensive to do everything. The people who are real Warriors fans aren’t able to get into the games.”

Overall this games was just really weird, at one point Steph, Klay, and KD were a combined 1-8 from FTs. Portland won the game with a FG% of 36%.

Seth Curry checked in for the Blazers during the 4th quarter only to drop 11 points in a row while being guarded by his brother, including this shot that looks like it could be Steph https://streamable.com/mdvv4 (Seth is now shooting exactly 50% from 3 this season)

And finally for the weirdest stat: 35 games into the season Portland have won every game they've been leading after 3 quarters and lost every game they've been trailing after 3 quarters.

They're fair comments.

I remember Jordan once saying something along the lines of you have to bring it every night as somewhere in the crowd could be someone who is seeing you for the only time in their life (or something like that). NBA pricing is insane these days for anything approaching a decent seat in most markets (although I did comment on the insanely low New Orleans pricing a few weeks back). If you were a Warriors fan and you shelled out for some of their games this year you'd have to have been gutted if they were the only games you were seeing.

I remember walking into MSG to see the Knicks and Philly in Iverson's MVP season and sitting maybe 5 rows back from courtside for $25. Stadium wasn't even close to full. The NBA has come a long way in recent years, but ticket pricing inflation is insane.

Oakland kid Damian Lillard hits the game winner in his last game at the Oracle (unless they meet in the playoffs).

https://streamable.com/2crdt

Had some things to say about the Warriors move to SF before the game too:

Overall this games was just really weird, at one point Steph, Klay, and KD were a combined 1-8 from FTs. Portland won the game with a FG% of 36%.

Seth Curry checked in for the Blazers during the 4th quarter only to drop 11 points in a row while being guarded by his brother, including this shot that looks like it could be Steph https://streamable.com/mdvv4 (Seth is now shooting exactly 50% from 3 this season)

And finally for the weirdest stat: 35 games into the season Portland have won every game they've been leading after 3 quarters and lost every game they've been trailing after 3 quarters.

Delighted Lillard has said something, makes sense since he is from here and family is here so they know first hand how crazy ticket prices have become. I would love for a Warriors player to say something but they won’t bite the hand that feeds them.
    I was very close to giving up my tickets for next year because of price and and basketball teams only have a certain shelf life but new stadium etc swayed me.

Warriors should of won last night but would not of deserved it, they were very very poor, I think they miss a player like Bogut a lot, no legit big man really hurts them especially when the 3 isn’t going down

FYI- new tax laws don’t allow business to write off % of entertainment in their taxes so that is having an effect on businesses holding season tickets, larger corporations may not care but for mid and small businesses, it’s a big deal, a lot are not renewing tickets. May have knock on affect on prices.

• Advertisement

Don’t know if it’s still like this as I haven’t checked but at one stage last week Dallas had the best home record in the league AND the worst away record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the process for getting Playoffs tickets? I'll be in Toronto early May and if the Raptors are in Round 2 I'd like to see them play.

I'm presuming they're hard to get and expensive. Nosebleed seats for a Spurs game are $18-50 but for the Manu Ginobli jersey retirement game they're starting at $150, so I can imagine something like the Playoffs would be a bit more in demand. Also taking it with a pinch of salt as I understand prices fluctuate.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but does anyone know the process for getting Playoffs tickets? I'll be in Toronto early May and if the Raptors are in Round 2 I'd like to see them play.

I'm presuming they're hard to get and expensive. Nosebleed seats for a Spurs game are $18-50 but for the Manu Ginobli jersey retirement game they're starting at $150, so I can imagine something like the Playoffs would be a bit more in demand. Also taking it with a pinch of salt as I understand prices fluctuate.

Well all season ticket holders are looked after first but after that it'll be the usual ticketmaster route as a first port of call but Play Off Games obviously have a greater demand. You'll be doing well to get a Play Off Ticket in Toronto for less than $100, and if you do manage that it'll be a crap seat. After that you're into secondary markets and you'll be paying heavily for the privilege. It also depends on who the competition is - if it's v say a team like Boston or Philly for example it will be more expensive than say Washington or Detroit. Star power and all that jazz.

As I always say when people ask for tickets on here I've never once failed to get a ticket by walking up to the Stadium on the day, but that luck will change at some stage I'm sure. Obviously travelling and going alone makes this easier - not recommended for couples or more than one person if you want to sit together.

I always prefer to have one in hand in advance and I'd rather pay $400 for a good seat than $100 for a crap one, but each to their own. If you think it's one of the few or only Play Off Games you'll see in your life, spend accordingly. Likewise, if you're going a lot, you may not want to spend as much.

Anthony Davis with another monster stat line last night - 48 pts, 17 rebs, 4 asts, 2 blks, 2 stls.:eek:

Just occurred to me Washington are now 1-5 since the Ariza trade. They really are a sh*t show. Houston on the other hand with the GOAT are undefeated (1-0) since he arrived. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

John Wall's season is over. Due to undergo surgery on his left heel.

rushfan wrote: »
    John Wall's season is over. Due to undergo surgery on his left heel.

It literally is just one thing after another with that team. They should trade Beal when his stats inevitably go up with Wall out and let the tank begin. Lottery bound now fo sho.

Surely they knew this was coming, the Trevor Ariza trade makes so little sense now

Surely they knew this was coming, the Trevor Ariza trade makes so little sense now

The Ariza trade made no sense at the time if you viewed it from the point of view that 2/3 weeks previously they announced that everyone on the roster was on the trade block. They were out of Play Off contention so they suddenly decide we better gear up for the Play Offs and trade for Ariza. Now Wall off to surgery. He played 41 games last year, 32 this - that supermax looks like tremendous value doesn't it? Kevin O'Connor on the Ringer calls Wall the worst elite PG in the league and that's a very good descriptor.

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS WHAT YOU'RE DOING. FFS Wall could have had that surgery last May and would be playing by now. Instead they wait until pretty much the half way point of the season and do it now.

They're a joke. I want to see Dwight play PG for the rest of the season and work on his pull up 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Philly look awful without Embiid, lost by 34 to Portland, the lead was at 40+ in the 3rd quarter. Lillard only had to play 27 minutes, 9 fewer than his average. Butler went 2-12 from the field.

Also love this clip of a ridiculous layup from Lillard against GS the other night

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Harden with another big game tonight, so far he has 20 FTA in 28 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Spurs with 46 in the third against the Celtics after getting 17 in the first. Cold start for both teams with lots of missed shots. Really heating up now.

Harden ends the game with 27 FTAs, meaning in his 10 game streak of scoring 30+ a game he has averaged 15 FTAs.

Jusuf Nurkic just posted an historic stat-line vs the Kings, a 20/20 5x5, first time it's ever been done.

Full stats were 24/23/7/5/5

Jusuf Nurkic just posted an historic stat-line vs the Kings, a 20/20 5x5, first time it's ever been done.

Full stats were 24/23/7/5/5

Great achievement in the modern game for sure.

The only problem with the above is blocks and steals weren't recorded as stats for most of Wilt's career.....at a time when there was no 3 point line (so more shots closer to the rim), smaller players, less athletic players etc. he likely did this dozens of times. Wilt led the league in assists one year because he could.

In the 100+ games Wilt's blocks were recorded he averaged almost 9 a game. Averaged! And he was at the end of his career for most of these. He has at least 5 games with more blocks in one game than the NBA record - not counted as they weren't stats then.

This one is legendary for NBA nerds:
    On March 18, 1968, Wilt Chamberlain allegedly put up a stat line of 53 points, 32 rebounds, 14 assists, 24 blocks, and 11 steals.

If all you young 'uns aren't all that familiar with Wilt the athlete and basketball player, google some of his insane athletic abilities and achievements.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Spurs with 46 in the third against the Celtics after getting 17 in the first. Cold start for both teams with lots of missed shots. Really heating up now.

Heard on a pod today that that 46 is the most points in a quarter in the Pop era by a Spurs team. I was surprised to hear that TBH.

Great achievement in the modern game for sure.

The only problem with the above is blocks and steals weren't recorded as stats for most of Wilt's career.....at a time when there was no 3 point line (so more shots closer to the rim), smaller players, less athletic players etc. he likely did this dozens of times. Wilt led the league in assists one year because he could.

Yeah Wilt almost definitely did it, still it's a great achievement considering not even Hakeem managed it, despite himself getting 6 5x5 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Brandon Ingram is infuriating to watch, Lakers still in the game in the last 5 minutes when they really shouldn't have been and he decides to go iso three times and takes horrific shots each time. Painful.

Philly look awful without Embiid, lost by 34 to Portland, the lead was at 40+ in the 3rd quarter. Lillard only had to play 27 minutes, 9 fewer than his average. Butler went 2-12 from the field.

Also love this clip of a ridiculous layup from Lillard against GS the other night

giphy.gif

That's insane body control on the finish.

I'd like to see the full clip though from different angles as he looks like he's carried the ball before he picks it up and it looks like a travel too (though I'm not 100% on that from this view).

• Advertisement

Strange one last night....Charlotte lost 122-84 AT HOME to Dallas, the team with the worst road record in the NBA. Lsst I looked they were down 45 (120-75) with a few minutes left so they outscored Dallas 9-2 in that stretch to make it look "less worse" than it could have.

The weirdest part for me is Kemba led Charlotte in scoring......with 11 points. That is the lowest points total I can ever remember one player scoring to lead his team in scoring in one game. You'd have to go way back to the 50s maybe to see anything like that. Must have been a shocking game to watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement