Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Only the Knicks would skip drafting DSJ for KP, and then trade them. Shows that it doesn't matter how big the market is for a franchise if it's being run like a sh1tshow

• Registered Users Posts: 19,743 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

evil_seed wrote: »
    Shows that it doesn't matter how big the market is for a franchise if it's being run like a sh1tshow

Somewhat true imo, the Knicks have been bad for like 20 years despite being a big market, but if a team like NOLA we're that bad for that long they'd no longer be in New Orleans. It's also why I don't think the Pels are gonna go full Process, they've got a bottom 5 attendance WITH Davis in the team, if they plan on tanking for a few years that's gonna plummet to last and there'll be a team back in Seattle within 3 years. That's the main luxury big market teams have, no matter how bad they get they always sell out and are never at risk for relocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Somewhat true imo, the Knicks have been bad for like 20 years despite being a big market, but if a team like NOLA we're that bad for that long they'd no longer be in New Orleans. It's also why I don't think the Pels are gonna go full Process, they've got a bottom 5 attendance WITH Davis in the team, if they plan on tanking for a few years that's gonna plummet to last and there'll be a team back in Seattle within 3 years. That's the main luxury big market teams have, no matter how bad they get they always sell out and are never at risk for relocation.

It's sad to say but New Orleans is a Football town and it's fairly likely that If AD leaves and the Pelicans don't land a flashy player in return or Zion in the draft that there is a high likelihood that the team does move to Seattle. The Pelicans owner is the New Orleans Saints owner and they are significantly more invested in the Football team then the basketball team. I would not be shocked if the team goes up for sale and is bought by someone who wants to move the team to Seattle.

I still don't trust the Knicks Front Office Staff. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Coach Fizdale, but I don't rate Steve Mills at all and I think Scott Perry is an ok GM and don't get me started on James Dolan, he is up there as one of the worst owners in professional sports. The Knicks fans deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

jonok28 wrote: »
    I still don't trust the Knicks Front Office Staff. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Coach Fizdale, but I don't rate Steve Mills at all and I think Scott Perry is an ok GM and don't get me started on James Dolan, he is up there as one of the worst owners in professional sports. The Knicks fans deserve better.

Trading Porzingis... feels unreal, though I think if you look at it dispassionately, he hasn't been able to stay on the court that much, and is coming off a serious injury. He was doing very well when he was injured, but who knows how long it'll take him to get back into form.

Trading for picks and a point guard, well I suppose better than nothing. Lots of salary cap relief, big deal, aren't they still paying Joakim Noah? Porzingis was a good choice in the draft, but that's a rare thing with the Knicks, plenty of draft busts in their history, feels like everyone chosenafter Patrick Ewing until Porzingis, and Porzingis was still TBD how well he was going to do over the long haul.

That said, the team's a basket case, like it's been since the early 1990's, and you're spot on about the owner.

Maybe if by some miracle they get that kid from Duke in the draft and he pans out, and they sign some FA's who don't immediately dog it, they'll be competitive. But this season's done. Yet another wasted year.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Trading Porzingis... feels unreal, though I think if you look at it dispassionately, he hasn't been able to stay on the court that much, and is coming off a serious injury. He was doing very well when he was injured, but who knows how long it'll take him to get back into form.

Trading for picks and a point guard, well I suppose better than nothing. Lots of salary cap relief, big deal, aren't they still paying Joakim Noah? Porzingis was a good choice in the draft, but that's a rare thing with the Knicks, plenty of draft busts in their history, feels like everyone chosenafter Patrick Ewing until Porzingis, and Porzingis was still TBD how well he was going to do over the long haul.

That said, the team's a basket case, like it's been since the early 1990's, and you're spot on about the owner.

Maybe if by some miracle they get that kid from Duke in the draft and he pans out, and they sign some FA's who don't immediately dog it, they'll be competitive. But this season's done. Yet another wasted year.

Zion would definitely make people forget about Porzingis, I think he would bring excitement to The Garden like Blake Griffin did when he was drafted by the Clippers. To be honest it would not shock me if they landed Kevin Durant in free agency, He has long been linked with them and I haven't heard anyone talk about him re signing with the Warriors. If they can land Durant and Irving ( a New York Native) then they will be able to turn things around and maybe even compete for a Championship, I just have no faith in their front office to do anything other than mess things up. I have no personal attachement to the Knicks what so ever I have a few friends who are Knicks fans and the KP deal literally ripped their hearts out their chests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Zion would definitely make people forget about Porzingis, I think he would bring excitement to The Garden like Blake Griffin did when he was drafted by the Clippers. To be honest it would not shock me if they landed Kevin Durant in free agency, He has long been linked with them and I haven't heard anyone talk about him re signing with the Warriors. If they can land Durant and Irving ( a New York Native) then they will be able to turn things around and maybe even compete for a Championship, I just have no faith in their front office to do anything other than mess things up. I have no personal attachement to the Knicks what so ever I have a few friends who are Knicks fans and the KP deal literally ripped their hearts out their chests.

Sadly been a Knicks fan since Willis Reed was at center and Walt Frazier was the shooting guard. The Ewing era was exciting, the problem being some guy named Jordan in Chicago :P It's been a famine since the Lattrell Spreewell team made it to the finals with everyone hurt, might've been different if they were healthier. Nothing much since and unwatchable for the last 8-10 years or so.

Even with the FA's there's still many holes on the team, they don't have a legitimate point guard, something that's plagued the team since forever, Nitilinka's looking like yet another first round bust, the other guards they have on the roster aren't exactly terrifying either. Durant's not getting any younger, either. I lived in Seattle when he was the overall #2 pick after Greg Oden (is he still playing anymore?), lived through the carpetbagger move to the metropolis of Oklahoma City, and have a feeling if he signed with the Knick's now, without a really strong supporting cast he won't be enough. Irving maybe, but it seems that guy's just loaded with attitude.

And, it's the Knicks. It's never safe to be optimistic.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sadly been a Knicks fan since Willis Reed was at center and Walt Frazier was the shooting guard. The Ewing era was exciting, the problem being some guy named Jordan in Chicago :P It's been a famine since the Lattrell Spreewell team made it to the finals with everyone hurt, might've been different if they were healthier. Nothing much since and unwatchable for the last 8-10 years or so.

Even with the FA's there's still many holes on the team, they don't have a legitimate point guard, something that's plagued the team since forever, Nitilinka's looking like yet another first round bust, the other guards they have on the roster aren't exactly terrifying either. Durant's not getting any younger, either. I lived in Seattle when he was the overall #2 pick after Greg Oden (is he still playing anymore?), lived through the carpetbagger move to the metropolis of Oklahoma City, and have a feeling if he signed with the Knick's now, without a really strong supporting cast he won't be enough. Irving maybe, but it seems that guy's just loaded with attitude.

And, it's the Knicks. It's never safe to be optimistic.

The Knicks are truly screwed if they don't land a top level Free Agent or get a top player in the draft. All of the moves will have been for nothing. I truly hope that doesn't happen Knicks fans deserve so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Zion offers an interesting situation in many respects, not just as a basketball prospect. There is no doubts his athleticism is otherworldly and he has shown himself to be a multi-faceted player but many scouts & "GM's"still prefer RJ Barrett.
    This is interesting as outside of the evident ceiling that exists for Zion, the guy truly is box office so from a pure business perspective he offers an organisation instant marketability.
    I'd guess that he will comfortably be in the Top 10 in jersey sales in his rookie year which is an element of the game that is often forgotten.

I suspect that in many ways the hype around him offers a conundrum for teams as even in the event that certain teams perceive RJ Barrett, Reddish, Bol Bol to be a better prospect, a GM may be significantly risk averse to the idea of passing on Zion.

I think fans could forgive a team for passing on RJ Barrett to take Zion even in the event that Barrett ends up better but if the reverse were to happen, that GM/Organisation would be slaughtered.
    It's probably somewhat analogous to LBJ, as irrespective of how poor Cleveland had performed they would have become immediately relevant not just in purely basketball terms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Porzingis os healthy and ready to play and they Knicks were holding him back to tank more effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Knicks going all in, I think there could astrong chance they sign Durant and Cousins along with Zion, that’s a serious team. Cousins looks good, Warriors won’t be able to offer him a big contract since he signed for the minimum this season, some rule that the warriors will only be allowed to increase contract by 30% or something, could be wrong...
    Super Bowl Sunday and most people are talking about NBA trades and rumors...😂

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Per Woj:

in the Lakers first offer to the Pelicans for Anthony Davis, LA offered Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Rajon Rondo, Michael Beasley and a first-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

If that’s supposed to a serious offer then they’ll never get this done. Rondo and Beasley are on 1 years. Rondo and Ball are both PGs (from both a Pelicans and Lakers perspective - why?). The only reason you’d trade for Beasley is if you wanted good weed.

The only way the Lakers get this done is by offering everything.

Barkley said the league should halt any LA trade for David for tampering and I agree with him tbh.

Knicks going all in, I think there could astrong chance they sign Durant and Cousins along with Zion, that’s a serious team. Cousins looks good, Warriors won’t be able to offer him a big contract since he signed for the minimum this season, some rule that the warriors will only be allowed to increase contract by 30% or something, could be wrong...
    Super Bowl Sunday and most people are talking about NBA trades and rumors...😂

Warriors can only increase by 20%, anyone else can offer anything.

I’m a huge Boogie fan, but I wouldn’t give him a max next year based on what I’ve seen so far.

Gobert rightly feels aggrieved having been snubbed once again for an All-Star, I think he was a clear choice over KAT, I build my team around KAT but Gobert should have been rewarded.

I'm a huge Dirk fan, but naming him and Wade to the All Star Game is a joke and makes a mockery of the game.

Gobert is right to be p*ssed too btw.

Nothing better than seeing harden turn the ball over, get blocked and losing. Good game by the Denver Nuggets, that Malik Beasley was on fire.

Nothing better than seeing harden turn the ball over, get blocked and losing. Good game by the Denver Nuggets, that Malik Beasley was on fire.

I never quite understand that type of disdain towards a great player. He's arguably been the best regular season player over the past 4 years, some of his individual performances have been amazing.

Per Woj:

in the Lakers first offer to the Pelicans for Anthony Davis, LA offered Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Rajon Rondo, Michael Beasley and a first-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

If that’s supposed to a serious offer then they’ll never get this done. Rondo and Beasley are on 1 years. Rondo and Ball are both PGs (from both a Pelicans and Lakers perspective - why?). The only reason you’d trade for Beasley is if you wanted good weed.

The only way the Lakers get this done is by offering everything.

Barkley said the league should halt any LA trade for David for tampering and I agree with him tbh.

The league will never step in again like that publicly after the Chris Paul Vetod trade, The Lakers were never going to offer all the young guys straight away, you start with a bid that is just enough that the Pelicans don't withdraw from talks altogether and slowly but surely during the week you add more pieces. You have now room for negotiation if you just offer all your young guys and picks straight away.

My guess is the next bid is Lonzo, Kuzma, Josh Hart, Zubac, KCP and a pick. The Pelicans will say no to that but will counter with Ingram instead of Hart and the Lakers will say no, the Lakers will add a second 1st round pick and its gonna end up being kcp ingram lonzo kuzma and two firsts.

• Advertisement

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I never quite understand that type of disdain towards a great player. He's arguably been the best regular season player over the past 4 years, some of his individual performances have been amazing.

If you like someone who buys fouls constantly or is constantly whinging to the officials then sure he is a great player. I'm also aware that other players do this as well but Harden has taken it to a whole new level. I'd say Houston fans are delighted that Paul is back as It stops all the boring Harden iso plays.

If you like someone who buys fouls constantly or is constantly whinging to the officials then sure he is a great player. I'm also aware that other players do this as well but Harden has taken it to a whole new level. I'd say Houston fans are delighted that Paul is back as It stops all the boring Harden iso plays.

He's simply mastered a skill that he has an advantage in. Perhaps you don't like "buying" fouls as you call it (opposed to drawing contact) then perhaps it's not for you but I commend a player for recognising a niche and capatilising on.
    Obviously from a pure efficiency standpoint it makes complete sense as if he shoots 56% within 5ft and shoots 86.5% from FT line (so 75% on 2 FT) then there's absolutely no doubts he should try and get to the line every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    He's simply mastered a skill that he has an advantage in. Perhaps you don't like "buying" fouls as you call it (opposed to drawing contact) then perhaps it's not for you but I commend a player for recognising a niche and capatilising on.
    Obviously from a pure efficiency standpoint it makes complete sense as if he shoots 56% within 5ft and shoots 86.5% from FT line (so 75% on 2 FT) then there's absolutely no doubts he should try and get to the line every time.

Cool but it's boring to watch

nerd69 wrote: »
    Cool but it's boring to watch

I think there's certainly better basketball to watch but I think he's so good at getting separation, his step-back, passing and ability around the rim so hes still good to watch imo

The league will never step in again like that publicly after the Chris Paul Vetod trade, The Lakers were never going to offer all the young guys straight away, you start with a bid that is just enough that the Pelicans don't withdraw from talks altogether and slowly but surely during the week you add more pieces. You have now room for negotiation if you just offer all your young guys and picks straight away.

My guess is the next bid is Lonzo, Kuzma, Josh Hart, Zubac, KCP and a pick. The Pelicans will say no to that but will counter with Ingram instead of Hart and the Lakers will say no, the Lakers will add a second 1st round pick and its gonna end up being kcp ingram lonzo kuzma and two firsts.

I don't know, I think the last few weeks might (might) set something off. The Super Max concept clearly isn't working and now you have guys with 1+ - 2 years left on their contracts effectively demanding trades and engineering moves that have the potential to cripple the teams that drafted them. It's one thing leaving when your contract is up, it's another doing what's been going on lately AND with the player tampering by Agents and Players too. The Lakers, Klutch and LeBron are doing all of the above - it's an open secret, and it's wrong. It's gone too far.

Another problem with the Super Max is it's also damaging to teams that can retain talent. Look at Washington and Wall - his contract cripples them going forward - and that's before you factor in decline in performance etc. Now whether you think Wall is a max guy or not (and I stated/debated on here long before he got one that he wasn't a max player) is another question but giving that kind of % to one player on a (up to) 15man roster is always going to create problems in building a team - regardless of who that is.

There's problems here for the NBA, without question. I know they're loving the headlines at the moment but you can be sure there's 20+ owners and teams not happy with what's going on right now and they have real power collectively. I'd expect Silver has to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I hate the buying fouls argument. That's just Harden being a smart player. Be annoyed at defenders for not being able to adjust and stop it, not Harden for capitalising and giving his team a better chance to win.

I'm a huge Dirk fan, but naming him and Wade to the All Star Game is a joke and makes a mockery of the game.

Gobert is right to be p*ssed too btw.

It's a new honorary spot, they're not being named All Stars ahead of other players. Far better than having the league select Kobe in his last year when he was terrible and stopping others from getting a spot.

It's a new honorary spot, they're not being named All Stars ahead of other players. Far better than having the league select Kobe in his last year when he was terrible and stopping others from getting a spot.

I know, it’s still lame though.

The pass by Joker for Denver's last bucket, oh my sweet god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Morrison J wrote: »
    I hate the buying fouls argument. That's just Harden being a smart player. Be annoyed at defenders for not being able to adjust and stop it, not Harden for capitalising and giving his team a better chance to win.
    Ah come on, there's a lot of them where the defenders are doing everything right and the refs are just giving fouls for nothing, expecting there to be contact when there isn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement