Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Been tied up for the last few hours and came here expecting fireworks and Woj bombs aplenty. Then I realised it's Wednesday and not Thursday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Been tied up for the last few hours and came here expecting fireworks and Woj bombs aplenty. Then I realised it's Wednesday and not Thursday. :(

Miami and Phoenix swapping bad contracts : https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1093255491826974730

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

That was a big win for the nets, without dimwiddie and levert. They are playing great this year cinsidering the team they have. Shumpert has gone to the rockets. The mavericks in another trade shipped Barnes to the Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Porter is owed a fair wedge of cash disproportionate to his productivity as well.

SEASON WASHINGTON WIZARDS
    2018/19 $26,011,913
    2019/20 $27,250,576
    2020/21 $28,489,239

I should have said nothing, he's landed up at the Bulls. Portis and Jabari Parker gone the other way.

Dallas traded Harrison Barnes to Sacramento while he was playing last night, Justin Jackson (rookie scale) and the remains of Zach Randolph heading the other way.

Dallas could have enough space in the summer to make a swing at a high-level FA to add to Doncic and Porzingis - Cuban is some operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bulls probably looking something like the below now:

SG - LaVine
    SF - Porter
    PF - Lauri
    C - Wendall

IF we manage to get #1, we better still take Zion, but I’d fully expect GarPax to massively reach for a PG who bombs :rolleyes:

Paully D wrote: »
    Bulls probably looking something like the below now:

SG - LaVine
    SF - Porter
    PF - Lauri
    C - Wendall

IF we manage to get #1, we better still take Zion, but I’d fully expect GarPax to massively reach for a PG who bombs :rolleyes:

Yeah rest of the season will be Dunn-LaVine-Porter-Lauri-W. Carter (injured) Lopez
    Bench is very thin now with Portis and J.Parker gone - so tank away Bulls.

I'm absolutely terrified of what GarPax will do with a high draft pick.

Harrison Barnes getting traded mid-game. Wow. That's cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Harrison Barnes getting traded mid-game. Wow. That's cold.

Supposedly he knew he was available in trade talks and wanted to try help the team win, class act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Harrison Barnes was GSW's version of almost every player Pop has produced outside of superstars where the players abilities are amplified while playing in their system due to the system itself & caliber of players around them.

In large part, I thought I hated the move by Sacramento at the start but given it's basically a year of $25m spent on a player that they would have to spend anyway it's fine as who knows perhaps he has a great season next year and someone wants him around playoff time.
    Kings tentatively trending in the right direction I think.

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Harrison Barnes was GSW's version of almost every player Pop has produced outside of superstars where the players abilities are amplified while playing in their system due to the system itself & caliber of players around them.

In large part, I thought I hated the move by Sacramento at the start but given it's basically a year of $25m spent on a player that they would have to spend anyway it's fine as who knows perhaps he has a great season next year and someone wants him around playoff time.
    Kings tentatively trending in the right direction I think.

Kings owner was still part of the GS consortium when they drafted Barnes and in that first title run, apparently loves Barnes.

Simmons musing that Paul/Klutch/LeBron messed up the AD trade by assuming they had more power than they did, interesting take. I’d agree with most of it tbh, they’ve underestimated NO. All could turn in their favour obviously but he also calls out a lot of the same stuff I have on LeBron re. coaches/coaching etc. and that no one calls him out on it. Worth a listen.

Simmons musing that Paul/Klutch/LeBron messed up the AD trade by assuming they had more power than they did, interesting take. I’d agree with most of it tbh, they’ve underestimated NO. All could turn in their favour obviously but he also calls out a lot of the same stuff I have on LeBron re. coaches/coaching etc. and that no one calls him out on it. Worth a listen.

Magic and Pelinka showed their rookie status within NBA circles with this debacle, An experienced head would have seen after a conversation or two that New Orleans had little to no interest in dealing Davis mid season. Magic especially embarrassed himself by leaking to the LA Times the players available and his willingness to deal anyone not named Lebron. The Lakers definitely need a consultant to bridge the gap in NBA Front Office experience which they clearly don't have.

However the Pelicans are really playing a dangerous game, if the Knicks don't land the top pick and Davis continues to say Boston isn't an option and Tatum isn't part of a deal then the Lakers will have an upper hand in negotiations. Also if the Celtics don't make a deep playoff run ( Conference Finals bare minimum) then Kyrie could be out the door and that could be the complete end of the Celtics getting anywhere near Davis.

I don't think it's true especially in recent years that LBJ isn't called out. I think LBJ is called out quite enough especially on this thread for his alleged transgressions. Perhaps historically there has been some things glossed over in wider media but there is no proverbial stone left unturned here imo.

I don't think it's true especially in recent years that LBJ isn't called out. I think LBJ is called out quite enough especially on this thread for his alleged transgressions. Perhaps historically there has been some things glossed over in wider media but there is no proverbial stone left unturned here imo.

Even as a Laker fan I have to agree that Lebron deserves the criticism but this is not a new thing. Yes he has been the face of the league for the last 10+ years but he has faced scrutiny every step of the way.

jonok28 wrote: »
    Even as a Laker fan I have to agree that Lebron deserves the criticism but this is not a new thing. Yes he has been the face of the league for the last 10+ years but he has faced scrutiny every step of the way.

Obviously, I agree LBJ had a hand in orchestrating this trade with AD and deserves a portion of the criticism which in my eyes he is receiving. As I said, perhaps elements of LBJ's tactics have been glossed over in the past but the very obvious "new" connection with AD is not an example of this.

Furthermore, I think the criticism with respect to capitalising on the situation is disproportionate to the amount of blame he deserves.

He can obviously insist on wanting AD but it is down to Pelinka & Magic to get the trade done, he can't be blamed for failing to capitalise on the leverage he undoubtedly played a part in creating.

Again, I have no issue whatsoever with critiquing LBJ in this but let's not pretend he isn't being critiqued for his role or that criticism he is receiving is proportional to his contribution.

I'm probably going to catch alot of flack for this but Brian Windhorst made a very interesting comment last night. He likened what the Pelicans did in destabilizing the Lakers Chemistry, forced them to include virtually all different members of the squad and had zero interest in actually dealing with the Lakers, in turn forcing them to play out a season in which the whole team will be in a state of flux and team chemistry might be hard to build back up, he likened it to a form of tampering. Initially I was like I'm not sure if I agree as Magic and Pelinka went into the talks with a willingness to trade whatever necessary but if the Pelicans literally had no interest at any point in making a deal and just wanted to cause maximum damage to another organisation then. Tampering means to interfere with (something) in order to cause damage or make unauthorized alterations. By definition it could be considered tampering.

Chris Haynes saying that he knows for a fact If The Pelicans try to sit Anthony Davis for the rest of the season in order to improve their draft stock then Davis will file a grievance with the league against the Pelicans. He said this is uncharted territory and is unsure what would happen if Davis was to do it. On one hand you can understand the Pelicans wanting to improve their draft stock for their future, on the other hand the league do not take kindly upon sitting healthy players and especially healthy Superstar players in order to improve draft odds. They punished the Spurs for sitting Duncan, Manu and Parker a number of years ago. Imagine what they would do if you sat a player who has nothing wrong with him.

This could get interesting.

Mirotic to Bucks, Stanley Johnson and Jason Smith gone the other way, Thon Maker goes to Detroit.

that's good bench depth for the Bucks ahead of the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Marc Gasol to Toronto.

Valenciunas, CJ Miles and Delon Wright going the other way.

End of an era for Memphis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,743 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Fultz to Orlando for Jonathan Simmons, an OKC 1st, and a 2nd.

Philly traded up in the draft to end up getting Jonathan Simmons instead of Jayson Tatum

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1093592360934694912?s=21

There’s the roster spot for Melo! :pac:

I don't know if I'm surprised or not but it's pennies on the dollar either way, delighted he gets a few start though

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1093596530911731712?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Don't know if anyone saw the footage of KG talking with Jayson Tatum on the Celtics Twitter feed. For a man of almost 43 he's in incredible condition. Better than some guys half his age.

Imagine the atmosphere in that Lakers dressing room now when LeBron has publically tried and failed to trade half the team! :eek:

Yeah rest of the season will be Dunn-LaVine-Porter-Lauri-W. Carter (injured) Lopez
    Bench is very thin now with Portis and J.Parker gone - so tank away Bulls.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1093605509788286977

Dunn-LaVine-Porter-Lauri-W. Carter (injured) Lopez Felicio?

Not here sure....on a thread in Ireland in country where basketball is a minority sport. I'n sure LeBron, Paul and Klutch lie awake at night worrying about what we're saying! :pac::pac:

I think he gets more free passes than any other athlete in history TBH, and by a mile.

jonok28 wrote: »
    Chris Haynes saying that he knows for a fact If The Pelicans try to sit Anthony Davis for the rest of the season in order to improve their draft stock then Davis will file a grievance with the league against the Pelicans. He said this is uncharted territory and is unsure what would happen if Davis was to do it. On one hand you can understand the Pelicans wanting to improve their draft stock for their future, on the other hand the league do not take kindly upon sitting healthy players and especially healthy Superstar players in order to improve draft odds. They punished the Spurs for sitting Duncan, Manu and Parker a number of years ago. Imagine what they would do if you sat a player who has nothing wrong with him.

This could get interesting.

They punished the Spurs for sitting the trio for a major televised game. None of them had nothing wrong with them as you describe it.

What can they realistically do?

Here's the counter - if he gets injured (and Davis has had over 30 injuries already in his pro career, over 30!) his stock is devalued. Now if he does his ACL or has a career-altering or career-ending injury then the Pels are potentially screwed for years, maybe even decades. So they're perfectly within their rights to do this. There have been many players who have been sat with trades upcoming with no penalty, I'd imagine that's their defence.

Any of your suggestion isn't coming from Davis I suspect; just Paul, Klutch and LeBron reacting because they didn't get their way and force a trade the Pels didn't want to make.

What happened when LeBron sat for many games when there was nothing wrong with him? What about his mid-season 2 weeks off a few seasons back?

Honestly dude your Lakers superfandom is more than a bit OTT - and I'm coming to your other post after this.

• Advertisement

Not here sure....on a thread in Ireland in country where basketball is a minority sport. I'n sure LeBron, Paul and Klutch lie awake at night worrying about what we're saying! :pac::pac:

I think he gets more free passes than any other athlete in history TBH, and by a mile.

You think LBJ has been the athlete that has been given the most free passes history? That can't be a serious statement.

That might be the most hyperbolic statement pertaining to LBJ that I've ever read.

The fact that you honestly think that LBJ's behaviour throughout his playing career warrants that title is honestly astonishing.

He has been an absolutely model athlete on and off the court through his on court behaviour and philanthropy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement