Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Not looking good for the Raptors, they're going to come in for some serious stick if they lose the series from this position. Some of fans getting carried away with Durant coming off seems to have fired the warriors up.

Mate...we are not even into the 4th quarter. Never mind game 6 or 7

Not looking good for the Raptors, they're going to come in for some serious stick if they lose the series from this position. Some of fans getting carried away with Durant coming off seems to have fired the warriors up.

Mate...we are not even into the 4th quarter. Never mind game 6 or 7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Kawhi needs to step up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So you don't think the organisation had major pressure on him to play?
    I think him and the team would have come to a joint decision on whether he was fit to play, with the main call resting with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

This is the Raptors to lose, Warriors are hanging in there but the runs are coming, once they get close or take the lead, then the crowd will take them home

• Advertisement

This is the Raptors to lose, Warriors are hanging in there but the runs are coming, once they get close or take the lead, then the crowd will take them home

Bookies still have GSW favourites.

Ooh getting tight now.

3 point game.

Squeaky bum time

Warriors running out of steam, very proud of the effort though, Durant was such a killer blow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Womens tennis was much bigger in the 1990's when they didn't earn as much as the men, the equal pay for the 4 grand slams hasn't really increased the popularity of women's tennis it just helps the female players earn more money.

What other business in the world would employers ask for higher salaries when your business is making a loss and why should people invest in a business that is loss making, if the NBA wants to take money out of the players proportion of the NBA revenue to prop up the WNBA then fair enough but if I was an investor there is no way I'd be happy having my money being used to prop up a loss making enterprise.

Athletes in numerous other sports have to accept not being paid any big money because there sport doesn't generate huge revenues why is there an expectation that because the male equivalent sport makes money they must prop up the paying of salaries in the female equivalent professional sport.It might be a nice thing to do but it shouldn't be expected and I can understand why investors would be opposed to their money being used for an unprofitable venture.

It may not be fair on women that they don't have the same earning capacity as men when it comes to the vast majority of sports however male models don't earn the same as their female equivalent and nobody cares about that, almost all of the top luxury fashion brands are for women and nobody complains about that either.

This is all so wrong to be honest, you're missing so much of the underlying issues here. It's such a myopic viewpoint to take tbh.
    Just to say I don't think quoting Nadal on gender pay gaps is the best port of call but whatever you think yourself. Equating the empowerment of sport to the objectification of people and noting that nobody complains about that is laughable.
    Can you not see how that itself is problematic, women are more popular because of their appearance, that's a societal issue that needs to be addressed in and of itself.

Anyway beyond that, first of all, just to clarify, I never claimed that equal pay increases popularity but let's just say I did, have you got any proof that womens tennis as you say was more popular in the 1990s than it is today?

Additionally I'm saying creating a situation of equality of outcome in short term is used to improve a wide variety of factors, popularity and subsequently long term financial being two, just a few quick notes on women's tennis popularity:

From 2010 to 2014, the women’s US Open final drew a larger audience in America than the men’s final.

3. It’s a myth that fans are always more interested in men’s tennis.

Djokovic isn’t wrong to imply that men’s matches, in general, sell more tickets and attract more TV viewers. But the tide is turning in favor of women. Since the 1980s, women’s Grand Slam matches have become as hotly contested as men’s and made women’s tennis equally, if not at times more, popular than the sport on the men’s side. Just as many women’s tennis events are televised as men’s, and women play on the same main courts as men do. In 2015, the U.S. Open women’s tournament, which featured a nail-biting showdown between Serena and Venus Williams, sold out more quickly than the men’s tournament. In 2013 and 2014, the women’s U.S. Open final garnered higher TV ratings than the men’s final. In 2005, the Wimbledon final between Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport drew 1 million more viewers than the showdown between Roger Federer and Andy Roddick.

As you can see the tide is turning, having created this situation where admittedly a small number of women have a large fanbase, women's tennis has proven to have the capacity to be equally if not more popular than men's. Interested to see your evidence that it was more popular in 1990s than now.
    No idea about TV ratings as such but I assume you're not going to use absolute TV ratings but rather relative TV ratings if the viewership has declined in both.

So nobody has ever invested in anything that is making a loss in the near term but has the potential to make profit in the long term?
    You realise Amazon outside of it's cloud solutions was a massive loser for a decade or more?
    Plenty of investors, Berkshire Hathaway as example invest in distressed companies who are losing short term but the scope is there for profit.
    Think of investing in the WNBA as a "Real Option" in a growth company.

The NBA are right to follow the lead of Tennis and create equality of outcome as it not only increases the popularity of the sport from a financial perspective but it also has social implications.
    Young girls want female role models, if all they see are males dominating sport while their most lucrative career is modelling then the probability they pursue their goals from an athletic perspective is reduced and we remain a society which pays women more to be objectified.

Although I believe the WNBA has the capacity to be a self sufficient profitable business in the long term due to basketball being the dominating sport from a cultural perspective even if the sport remained unprofitable propping it up is not a bad option as the implications of such has more far reaching implications on society.

• Advertisement

Steve Kerr going nuts.

Hey hitch, it’s the last few minutes of nba finals dude, let that stuff go until tomorrow...lol

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    This is all so wrong to be honest, you're missing so much of the underlying issues here. It's such a myopic viewpoint to take tbh.
    Just to say I don't think quoting Nadal on gender pay gaps is the best port of call but whatever you think yourself. Equating the empowerment of sport to the objectification of people and noting that nobody complains about that is laughable.
    Can you not see how that itself is problematic, women are more popular because of their appearance, that's a societal issue that needs to be addressed in and of itself.

Anyway beyond that, first of all, just to clarify, I never claimed that equal pay increases popularity but let's just say I did, have you got any proof that womens tennis as you say was more popular in the 1990s than it is today?

Additionally I'm saying creating a situation of equality of outcome in short term is used to improve a wide variety of factors, popularity and subsequently long term financial being two, just a few quick notes on women's tennis popularity:

From 2010 to 2014, the women’s US Open final drew a larger audience in America than the men’s final.

3. It’s a myth that fans are always more interested in men’s tennis.

Djokovic isn’t wrong to imply that men’s matches, in general, sell more tickets and attract more TV viewers. But the tide is turning in favor of women. Since the 1980s, women’s Grand Slam matches have become as hotly contested as men’s and made women’s tennis equally, if not at times more, popular than the sport on the men’s side. Just as many women’s tennis events are televised as men’s, and women play on the same main courts as men do. In 2015, the U.S. Open women’s tournament, which featured a nail-biting showdown between Serena and Venus Williams, sold out more quickly than the men’s tournament. In 2013 and 2014, the women’s U.S. Open final garnered higher TV ratings than the men’s final. In 2005, the Wimbledon final between Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport drew 1 million more viewers than the showdown between Roger Federer and Andy Roddick.

As you can see the tide is turning, having created this situation where admittedly a small number of women have a large fanbase, women's tennis has proven to have the capacity to be equally if not more popular than men's. Interested to see your evidence that it was more popular in 1990s than now.
    No idea about TV ratings as such but I assume you're not going to use absolute TV ratings but rather relative TV ratings if the viewership has declined in both.

So nobody has ever invested in anything that is making a loss in the near term but has the potential to make profit in the long term?
    You realise Amazon outside of it's cloud solutions was a massive loser for a decade or more?
    Plenty of investors, Berkshire Hathaway as example invest in distressed companies who are losing short term but the scope is there for profit.
    Think of investing in the WNBA as a "Real Option" in a growth company.

The NBA are right to follow the lead of Tennis and create equality of outcome as it not only increases the popularity of the sport from a financial perspective but it also has social implications.
    Young girls want female role models, if all they see are males dominating sport while their most lucrative career is modelling then the probability they pursue their goals from an athletic perspective is reduced and we remain a society which pays women more to be objectified.

Although I believe the WNBA has the capacity to be a self sufficient profitable business in the long term due to basketball being the dominating sport from a cultural perspective even if the sport remained unprofitable propping it up is not a bad option as the implications of such has more far reaching implications on society.

Keep it down
    There's a game on here

I think I called this one spot on, god damn it

Kawhi delivers!

Raptors lead!

And again!

Ooh baby

Game, set and match
    Iam off to cry myself to sleep and hopefully wake up to a brand new season in a new stadium with all the same players

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Kawhi is an absolute monster, out of that timeout they were down 2, he scored all 10 points for them and now they're up 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That looks like that.

• Advertisement

Is this too good to be true?

GSW still could knick this.

That’s a bad bad call, clearly clearing rim from one angle

Just don't trust the Raptors to do this.

Holy ****ing christ

Warriors will do this 4-3 wont they?

Raptors just can't close it out.

Neighborhood just exploded

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Raptors really choked that one, after all that work from Kawhi too.

Bollocks...awful possession

I really want the Raptors to do this because the GSW are going to be dominating for a long time yet, this dynasty has some legs potentially.
    If they win this I could easily see them winning 5 or 6 in a row, like Mercedes in F1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Cousins just seems like an awful liability at the end of games.
    Delighted there's another game but I do want to see the Raptors win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement