Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And that public sector worker will more than likely receive a raise this year!!

Why would you assume that a public sector was involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

And that public sector worker will more than likely receive a raise this year!!

Why would you assume that a public sector was involved?
    Assumed a pen pusher would give the go ahead for them to be put up along a street under the council's remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Opening Friday. Have heard there will be big changes to the beer tent with Carlsberg being the sponsors? Somebody say it ain't so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Opening Friday. Have heard there will be big changes to the beer tent with Carlsberg being the sponsors? Somebody say it ain't so!

That's what I heard, too. Won't be going near it, if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Conneely is kicking up a stink again because the company running it are only paying 10K for the whole season.
    I agree with him for a change seeing they charge the stallholders a fortune for their stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Connelly is kicking up a stink again because the company running it are only paying 10K for the whole season.
    I agree with him for a change seeing they charge the stallholders a fortune for their stands.

The John Lewis Christmas Ad is out a little later today, I guess that marks the start of the festivities :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

I only heard yesterday that the staff won’t be dressed in the usual German attire so that might go along with what you heard. Surely they have to have steins though or I don’t see the purpose of it. Don’t see why people would go in to pay for overpriced pints of Carlesberg if the novelty is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Conneely is kicking up a stink again because the company running it are only paying 10K for the whole season.

That's hardly true? They'd make that in a good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm a Carslberg drinker, so the beer of choice in the beer tent doesn't exactly concern me, but if there is no steins well it just ruins the attraction IMO. No german costume / no German beer / no German glasses - the beer tent may as well just be an overpriced cold outdoor bar.

Maybe this was Conneellys plan all along - make everyone not want to go to the beer tent and go to his beloved O Connells instead :pac::o

It is. I can't link from mobile, but:

• Advertisement

The company are paying the standard daily rate for renting Eyre Square X the number of days they have it for.

Also re what they're taking ... ponder the difference between takings and profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭smurfette2212

Slightly off-topic, though still Christmassy... this is perhaps a very stupid question but there were loads of people in Christmas jumpers in town today. Most seemed pretty far gone, and this was early enough. I seem to remember something similar last year as well. Does anyone know what it is in aid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Nuig student Christmas day. Now unofficial

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭smurfette2212

topcat77 wrote: »
    Nuig student Christmas day. Now unofficial

Ah, that explains it!

GMIT as well. Bus into town was packed with kids this evening. Gonna be a messy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Goalpost was so crammed at 1pm ,the side gates were locked and they were like sardines in it, reminded me of Hillsborough ..shocking

Goalpost was so crammed at 1pm ,the side gates were locked and they were like sardines in it, reminded me of Hillsborough ..shocking

Presume you mean Hole In The Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Yea sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Apparently its just Carlsberg in the beer tent, plastic glasses too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

At least the Corn dog van is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

skinny90 wrote: »

Source?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

its all over my social media :o A few people working in town who finish early on friday's have posted this

Plastic glasses only is a disaster.

The steins were 33% of the attraction!

FitzShane wrote: »
    Plastic glasses only is a disaster.

The steins were 33% of the attraction!
    What's the other 67%? As I've never seen any reason to go there.

Novelty
    Christmas spirit
    Music
    Craic
    Beer

Novelty
    Christmas spirit
    Music
    Craic
    Beer
    So 67% is novelty then as the rest is available in much nicer surrounds in many hostelries around town.

So 67% is novelty then as the rest is available in much nicer surrounds in many hostelries around town.

In fairness it’s good craic when there’s a good gang about, it’s different than going to a pub, it brings a different air of excitement. The fact that’s here for a limited time and closes gets people out earlier to have a drink there too. Granted it’s not for everyone but sure look.
    O connells really have upped there game and lit up the beer garden

In fairness it’s good craic when there’s a good gang about, it’s different than going to a pub, it brings a different air of excitement. The fact that’s here for a limited time and closes gets people out earlier to have a drink there too. Granted it’s not for everyone but sure look.
    O connells really have upped there game and lit up the beer garden

Yep. I know from experience that it can be easier to organise a night out between friends that I wouldn't see for 6 months to go for a drink in the beer tent because it's different rather than saying let's go to X pub for a drink as X pub is there every other night of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Yep. I know from experience that it can be easier to organise a night out between friends that I wouldn't see for 6 months to go for a drink in the beer tent because it's different rather than saying let's go to X pub for a drink as X pub is there every other night of the year.

Doesn’t matter if it’s the beer tent or any pub, christmas is the reason people look to head out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

If only somebody had the foresight to provide access to other watering holes, imagine a place with a calm warm cozy atmosphere that you could order what you like, didn't have to roar your head off to be heard while standing around in a dead cold space that looks like the inside of a fridge, they could even offer this service all year round

Advertisement