Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DAB Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

kazoo106 wrote: »
    I've been looking at the website - they apparently going to simulcast their 10 stations in DAB and DAB+ (if and when they get a trial license)

This just about leaves enough room for the 10 DAB stations to be broadcast in 64k mono while the DAB+ simulcast has just enough space for 40k stereo

This is not going to be better quality than FM !

Indeed, I don't expect it to be any standard of high quality.

Hhahahaha....
    "20% of Irish households already own a DAB radio. It has also captured the attention and imagination of ‘pirate’ broadcasters now broadcasting illegally on DAB to Cork and Dublin."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Indeed, I don't expect it to be any standard of high quality.

Hhahahaha....
    "20% of Irish households already own a DAB radio. It has also captured the attention and imagination of ‘pirate’ broadcasters now broadcasting illegally on DAB to Cork and Dublin."

The reason for pirate multiplexes is self explanority. The licenceing to obtain a mux licence is trial based. And might not change .when the licenceing changes to a point when one can put the resources into a network knowing a full licence contract is secured then FreeDAB will move foward .until then with the legacy of DAB trials in Ireland being a success it is time for the bai to see the benefits however small and make and effort for multiplex owners to implement the infactrucute necessary to push listener choice in Ireland. This is the bottom line .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

"trial" ???

More like testing our patience.

Well, I hope they pull their collective fingers out soon, as I've just bought an AV amp with DAB+ and it would be a shame to waste it. The FM bit works, of course, so I'm not desperate.
    In the meantime I'm putting up a better antenna for DAB in the hope I can pull in some distant signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Franko87 wrote: »
    Mr snow . We will announce new multiplexes in the second half of 2020 for now our multiplexes are as follows .

DUBLIN.
    CORK
    DONIGAL
    WATERFORD .(GOES LIVE ON THE 26TH OF JANUARY. )

Hi Frank, apart from the Cork City mux, are there any plans for a mux to cover north Co.Cork, ie, Mallow/Fermoy/Mitchelstown areas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RoryDublin

How many cars on the road in Ireland have digital radio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

RoryDublin wrote: »
    How many cars on the road in Ireland have digital radio ?

I haven’t a figure, but I’d say nearly every car post-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I haven’t a figure, but I’d say nearly every car post-2014

Wouldn't agree there, my parents have bought two new Toyotas in that time higher spec models and no dab radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

.....The FM bit works, of course, so I'm not desperate.
    In the meantime I'm putting up a better antenna for DAB in the hope I can pull in some distant signals.

How distant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

UK imports will have DAB typically.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Hi Frank, apart from the Cork City mux, are there any plans for a mux to cover north Co.Cork, ie, Mallow/Fermoy/Mitchelstown areas ?

Good evening .yes this will happen within the coming months. As.the cork city multiplex is not fully finished as of yet over the coming weeks there will be a big upgrade to the cork multiplex wich will service cork city and county with a robust signal. I am just awaiting the amplfier and the appropriate filter in order to do this . As all DAB broadcast transmittion transmitters have to comply with the red eu directive .putting just an amplifer on air will cause serious issues to adjacent frequencies and this I will not do.😠I will keep you updates on events as we complete work on current and new multiplex installations.

Regards .F

How distant?

Probably about 50 miles - need to make a yagi I think. I can see the trace of a signal from the west, which would be Limerick-ish, on the SDR, but not enough to resolve anything with any reliability. That's just with a single stick about 40ft up.
    If Waterford gets covered, there might be some hope, but the terrain in that direction isn't favourable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Probably about 50 miles .......

So it will still be "Local radio for local people" to coin a phrase from the League of Gentlemen :)

As far as I'm aware, UK imported cars (2016>) come with DAB as standard, although I'm open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭david23

So it will still be "Local radio for local people" to coin a phrase from the League of Gentlemen :)

As far as I'm aware, UK imported cars (2016>) come with DAB as standard, although I'm open to correction on this.

93% of new cars in the UK now come with DAB fitted as standard. In 2016 it was 80% so there has been an increase over the past few years. Most of the new cars that don't have DAB are the basic models in the range, where DAB is an optional extra.

The UK has agreed to comply with the EU directive on in car DAB even though it will cease to be a member on 31 January. The three countries where DAB take up is greatest are not EU members as of 1 February (UK, Norway & Switzerland).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fmfan

Still a few blackspots in Cork
    Stations:

Nonstop 90s
    NRG Radio Cork
    Zenith
    Coast FM
    Wild Country
    Global
    Storm NE
    Sovereign Gold
    Atlantis

Has anyone noticed Nonstop 90s having audio problems which sounds like a jammed cd on repeat with a vo ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fmfan wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed Nonstop 90s having audio problems which sounds like a jammed cd on repeat with a vo ?.

their stream is down also. i presume it's internet issues at the studio or something.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Good evening .yes this will happen within the coming months. As.the cork city multiplex is not fully finished as of yet over the coming weeks there will be a big upgrade to the cork multiplex wich will service cork city and county with a robust signal. I am just awaiting the amplfier and the appropriate filter in order to do this . As all DAB broadcast transmittion transmitters have to comply with the red eu directive .putting just an amplifer on air will cause serious issues to adjacent frequencies and this I will not do.😠I will keep you updates on events as we complete work on current and new multiplex installations.

Regards .F

That's great news, looking forward to tuning in. Thanks Frank.

their stream is down also. i presume it's internet issues at the studio or something.

They are back to normal now (stream + DAB).

Sligo mux live as of today. On block 5a

Sligo mux live as of today. On block 5a

Not picking up anything on my Roberts Stream 93i in Ballisodare about 5 miles from Sligo town. What is the range of the transmitter?

• Advertisement

Are you using block 5a throughout the country?

Is Waterford mux on air yet?

Is Waterford mux on air yet?

Waterford I now live on bock 5A in Waterford City! Multiplex I'd FreeDAB-Wtrfrd.

Waterford DAB List:
    90s (silent)
    Kiss Cork (buffering)
    Zenith
    Wild Country
    Storm North East
    Jazz Radio
    OpenTempoFM
    Coast2coast
    now appear to be crystal clear across the city. This is fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Quite a few drop-outs happening on the Dublin Freedab mux in Dublin 9. Unfortunate, as I like to listen to Zenith.

Someone referred to a problem with an amplifier on the Dublin mux. Is there still a problem, or is the current reception the best I can expect in the long-term?

’Timewarp’ now added to Waterford mux

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Can anyone recommend a good cheap dab receiver for free dab? Bonus for FM too!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Tescos have them on special the odd time, other than that maybe try Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Tescos have them on special the odd time, other than that maybe try Amazon.

Must include DAB+.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pete Best

Currently, Currys in NI have the Roberts Play 10 for around £33.

Great little DAB/DAB+ radio, and fairly sensitive on FM too. Battery and mains.

Not sure how much that is in Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

Quite a few drop-outs happening on the Dublin Freedab mux in Dublin 9. Unfortunate, as I like to listen to Zenith.

Someone referred to a problem with an amplifier on the Dublin mux. Is there still a problem, or is the current reception the best I can expect in the long-term?

The signal from the Dublin Freedab mux is rather weak.

I have no idea, if there are any plans to increase transmitter power.

I have reason to believe DAB+ isn't really catching on in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Annascaul wrote: »
    The signal from the Dublin Freedab mux is rather weak.

I have no idea, if there are any plans to increase transmitter power.

I have reason to believe DAB+ isn't really catching on in Ireland.

Yea they guys need to do something. Great line up unfortunately not easy to listen to in a car. Breaks up alot.

castle2012 wrote: »
    Yea they guys need to do something. Great line up unfortunately not easy to listen to in a car. Breaks up alot.

Cork much improved signal in Cork lately, so I guess it’s as people say, we have to be patient. I don’t disagree at all with you

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ITV2

I noticed that a lot lately too, I live near the Square in Tallaght. Funny enough the RTE mux breaks up just past the Square too.

ITV2 wrote: »
    I noticed that a lot lately too, I live near the Square in Tallaght. Funny enough the RTE mux breaks up just past the Square too.

Used to get the RTÉ mux in the car as far as Kildare/Carlow

I still do get it in Wicklow, it's just after the Square it drops a lot, not sure why? the car has a shark fin DAB aerial fitted so its not my car.. odd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

RTE Radio 1 needs around 40 FM transmitters to cover the whole island. 2FM, Lyric and RaidioNaG, are also using around 40 transmitters each. Today FM and Newstalk need around 24 FM transmitters do roughly do the same thing.

With DAB+ Ireland can probably covered with 8 to 12 transmitters only, while transmitting 10 to 14 programmes each. DAB+ would be a big reduction in cost for RTE and various other radio stations.

ITV2 wrote: »
    I still do get it in Wicklow, it's just after the Square it drops a lot, not sure why? the car has a shark fin DAB aerial fitted so its not my car.. odd ?

If the signal is coming from 3rock, then the mountains themselves get in the way when you are up around The Square. Some FM stations have the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Spotted this on HUKD, DAB+ Might be of interest £34+£5 delivery to Ireland...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303147507229

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

I've read elsewhere that Dublin FreeDAB is back on -- great news but not seen it posted here ?

not on here in Dublin West now.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭kazoo106

So - on this on on other threads there has been a semi loose discussion about DAB and who regulates it etc etc.
    My understanding is that the 2009 act treats DAB for want of a better word as a "station" and therefore coming under the jurisdiction of the BAI, obviously through frequency clearance from Comreg.
    My understanding is also that a "Section 71" license is required to be a content provider on any given MUX

Can someone please explain to me (because I am a little lost) how these MUX frequencies become advertised, or is it the BAI's recommendation that the current incumbents can turn on a MUX in their own areas?

If this is the case, I cannot understand why this is so, after all, the industry has shown ZERO interest in doing so since 2009 and to my knowledge there was no mention or requirement of this in their renewed licenses

I note that BTS have a website up at dbdb.ie where it is stated "This is a full service not a trial" and "TX to main cities with population 1.8m" - how did this come about? and where could one find out info on this license

On the Radio Today website back in September 2019, the Free DAB people expressed their frustration with being unable to broadcast legally on DAB because there was no easy methodology to do with impossible red tape surrounding the "Section 71" content licenses etc etc.

So in essence, can anyone in the know shed some light in this dbdb "full service" and how such a full service came about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Can someone please explain to me (because I am a little lost) how these MUX frequencies become advertised, or is it the BAI's recommendation that the current incumbents can turn on a MUX in their own areas?
    Section 136 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 reads:
    (1) In order to secure the orderly establishment, maintenance and operation of multiplexes the Authority shall from time to time having regard to the availability of radio frequencies for multiplexes, specify the coverage area (which area may consist of a whole or any part of the State) in which programme material and related and other data shall be broadcast pursuant to a multiplex contract and shall direct the Contract Awards Committee to invite applications for a multiplex contract and the Contract Awards Committee shall comply with the direction.

(3) Where the Contract Awards Committee invites applications for a multiplex contract it shall by public notice specify the coverage area (specified by the Authority under subsection (1)) in which the programme material and related and other data shall be broadcast pursuant to such contract (in this section referred to as “ maximum coverage area ”) and by such notice shall invite persons interested in establishing and maintaining a multiplex to apply for such contract.

(7) Where the Authority directs the Contract Awards Committee to invite applications for sound broadcasting multiplex contracts under subsection (1), the Contract Awards Committee shall, as part of the notice, indicate whether any listed simulcast services shall be contained on the multiplex.

Essentially: The BAI decide if and where there should be a multiplex, advertise for licence applications and award the licence to whom they deem most suitable in a manner similar to FM licencing. I assume subsection 7 applies to stations broadcasting on FM and whether they can or must be carried.
    I note that BTS have a website up at dbdb.ie where it is stated "This is a full service not a trial" and "TX to main cities with population 1.8m" - how did this come about? and where could one find out info on this license

On the Radio Today website back in September 2019, the Free DAB people expressed their frustration with being unable to broadcast legally on DAB because there was no easy methodology to do with impossible red tape surrounding the "Section 71" content licenses etc etc.

So in essence, can anyone in the know shed some light in this dbdb "full service" and how such a full service came about?
    The DBDB website states that the multiplex will operate under a Section 131 licence, and Section 131.2 reads:
    For the purpose of subsection (1) the Authority shall, with persons (“ multiplex contractors ”) enter into contracts (“multiplex contracts”) under which the multiplex contractors have, subject to this Part, the right and duty to establish, maintain and operate a multiplex in the area specified in the multiplex contract and in accordance with the terms of the contract.

So I would expect that following their trial run around 2012, DBDB have expressed their interest in running a multiplex to the BAI and based on that interest, a licence was advertised and subsequently awarded.

I'm optimistic that this might see a turning-point and a see-change for Irish Radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Does anybody recall a licence being advertised?

I don't agree with the DBDB approach of simulcasting DAB and DAB+. Forget DAB, it's done with. Start with DAB+ and launch 15+ stations.

• Advertisement

I have no recollection of a license being advertised, I will query this with the BAI tomorrow and come back with any info I get, but I'm almost sure that if such a thing was advertised, someone here would see !
    Which opens up a whole carbuncle of new questions if not.

The 2009 Act states the following in section 136

(3) Where the Contract Awards Committee invites applications for a multiplex contract it shall by public notice specify the coverage area (specified by the Authority under subsection (1)) in which the programme material and related and other data shall be broadcast pursuant to such contract (in this section referred to as “ maximum coverage area ”) and by such notice shall invite persons interested in establishing and maintaining a multiplex to apply for such contract.

(4) Every notice under subsection (3) shall—

(a) be published on a website maintained by the Authority, and where appropriate, in a newspaper circulating in the area to be served,

(b) specify the procedure to be followed in order to make an application, and

(c) specify any other matters which appear to the Contract Awards Committee to be necessary or relevant.

Can someone point me in the direction as to where the license was advertised onto which DBDB will be providing a "full service"

The 2009 Act states the following in section 136

(4) Every notice under subsection (3) shall—

(a) be published on a website maintained by the Authority, and where appropriate, in a newspaper circulating in the area to be served,

(b) specify the procedure to be followed in order to make an application, and

(c) specify any other matters which appear to the Contract Awards Committee to be necessary or relevant.

Can someone point me in the direction as to where the license was advertised onto which DBDB will be providing a "full service"

My best guess on this is there A. It hasent been made public knowledge and db have been given a under the table contract. Or B. This is just all a imaginary venture. Lets hope it's the latter because if it's A. You can be shure there will be uproar and it wont look good for the bai breaking there own rulebook !!

Or perhaps somewhere in the legislation it exempts RTE, and perhaps when RTE vacate these muxes they could be "rented" while overall being owned by RTE/2RN.

Dont have time to go through the legislation today, but all very interesting stuff.

Everything can be open to interpretation !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Infoanon wrote: »
    Does anybody recall a licence being advertised?
    I don't recall, and I didn't see anything listed recently on their website other than a couple of notices about existing FM stations who's contracts were up for renewal, but I only gave it a quick skim.
    Or perhaps somewhere in the legislation it exempts RTE, and perhaps when RTE vacate these muxes they could be "rented" while overall being owned by RTE/2RN.

Dont have time to go through the legislation today, but all very interesting stuff.

Everything can be open to interpretation !
    RTE are licensed exclusively under Section 133.1 which reads:
    The Communications Regulator, at the request of RTÉ, shall issue to RTÉ a licence in respect of the establishment, maintenance and operation of a single sound broadcasting multiplex, which multiplex shall, in so far as it is reasonably practicable, be capable of being transmitted by digital terrestrial means to the whole community in the State.

Section 133 allows for a total of three national multiplexes, the first two to be operated by RTE and the third by a contractor under Section 131. Section 133.4 allows for local/regional operations.

So while RTE can at any time request a licence to operate a national multiplex (and I'm not sure if the current system is operating under that provision) there's no provision that would allow a third party to 'take over' the licence nor a provision that would allow the BAI to facilitate it. RTE are quite literally a law to themselves.

Thus the only way I see that a Section 131 licence could have been granted was for the usual process (which mirrors the process of FM broadcast licences) to have been followed (Section 136) and for a licence to have been advertised (as outlined in that section) and awarded on the basis of the applicant being the most suitable as determined by the Contracts and Awards Committee.

The one thing that is clear to me is this: Regardless of what process was ultimately followed, with DBDB set to go into operation, the one thing that I am hopeful for is that it will be a success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement