Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Wales, Nations League, Sky Sports Football, 7.45pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I wouldn’t even have watched the match if it was on RTÉ. Literally all that has to be done to force change, is stop going to and watching the matches. Honestly, forget just about the senior team coach and management, don’t watch it again until Delaney goes ...

A massive social media campaign. "Nobody buy tickets until root and branch changes at the FAI"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

TheCitizen wrote: »
    This sort of nonsensical shít gives me a laugh on a night like this. Thanks pal:pac:

I'm happy I was able to give MON's #1 fan a laugh.

If you check you will find there are several Welsh players who learned their craft not too far across the border.

Harry Wilson, yanno the lad who scored tonight? He'd be one from Wrexham who has played for Liverpool since he was 8 years old. Liverpool is 40 minutes away from Wrexham by car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Declan Rice on the phone to Southgate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

MD1990 wrote: »
    probably scared after how O'Neill has treated ToD & we all know how Keane can be.

It's a joke though. They really seem resigned to the fact that the two lads are staying until 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ok the Stan appointment was a disaster but since then they have had Trapp and MON

Trapp was obviously a world class manager and many many people were happy with MON getting the job when he did

So what did the FAI top brass do wrong when it came to the last two managerial appointments again ?

Giving them (both Trap and O’Neill) contracts before the respective current qualification ended disastrously, leaving us up a creek with demotivated players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

A massive social media campaign. "Nobody buy tickets until root and branch changes at the FAI"

Yera sure Delaney will be filmed singing some Rebel songs again and all will be forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Arter was poor. He gave away the free that lead to the goal and in general he was poor throughout. Might have been better if he didn't come back, but imagine if he didn't the usual lot of moaners on here would be on with "Keane is the fault of Arter not being available and probably Rice as well etc. etc....." Yawn.

Exactly, and he's a 'real midfielder'. He was scutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

fullstop wrote: »
    Yep, he did. Played at least 3 forward passes in last 5 mins. Was better than Arter tonight.

And gave away the ball cheaply 4 times in the first half. And was out of position all night. And missed our hest chance to score.

Not his fault. He is not a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

sugarman wrote: »
    .....AAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNND we're relegated.

Our only goal in this campaign has come from a Ramsey error when we were already 4-0 down to Wales.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

And gave away the ball cheaply 4 times in the first half. And was out of position all night. And missed our hest chance to score.

And because he was on the same side as doherty, doherty was starved of the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Seen the goal there. Average enough free kick, had Randolph let his 6 man wall guard the right side that ball was straight in to his chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Exactly, and he's a 'real midfielder'. He was scutter.

He did save us a goal though with his positioning and block on a 2 on 1.

And how many times did Arter give the ball away cheaply? Also gave away a stupid free kick for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Ok the Stan appointment was a disaster but since then they have had Trapp and MON

Trapp was obviously a world class manager and many many people were happy with MON getting the job when he did

So what did the FAI top brass do wrong when it came to the last two managerial appointments again ?

I had no issues with Trap and Martin getting the top job. But the FAI should be doing a HELL of a lot more than hiring a manager every 6 years or so!

He did save us a goal though with his positioning and block on a 2 on 1.
    He did, but that situation would never have arisen if it wasn't for his brain fart for their goal. Game was stretched at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

MON - "lots of positives...lot of positive play"

Ha.

GreeBo wrote: »

Ha.

He’s fully delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

He’s fully delusional.

No its Delaney who is delusional as he is the one who obviously believes the nonsense out of MONs mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That was the softest interview I have ever seen for a team that was just booed off the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I see Arter is the fall guy for some determined to deflect from dross management over the past week. It was 'why were ye calling for Doherty' the other night.

When Phil Babb has strong criticism on analysis, it's time to go.

• Advertisement

And how many times did Arter give the ball away cheaply? Also gave away a stupid free kick for the goal.

Covering for Christie.

That was the softest interview I have ever seen for a team that was just booed off the pitch

In the style of dunphy

" its the first time ive ever seen two men having sex on sky sports"

Corholio wrote: »
    I see Arter is the fall guy for some determined to deflect from dross management over the past week. It was 'why were ye calling for Doherty' the other night.

When Phil Babb has strong criticism on analysis, it's time to go.

If you're referring to me, Arter isn't the fall guy. Just trying to balance the constant shyte and giving out about Christie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GreeBo wrote:

Enough about Wales what did he say about Ireland

ERG89 wrote: »
    Enough about Wales what did he say about Ireland

He basically called the irish players technically ****.

Arter was poor. He gave away the free that lead to the goal and in general he was poor throughout. Might have been better if he didn't come back, but imagine if he didn't the usual lot of moaners on here would be on with "Keane is the fault of Arter not being available and probably Rice as well etc. etc....." Yawn.

Someone dodging the big issue.

You still think O'Neill fit for the job?

He basically called the irish players technically ****.

He actually said "we dealt with the ball well" I'm not sure what that means in the context of what I watched.

I guess we didnt lose any balls out on the road....does that count?

If you're referring to me, Arter isn't the fall guy. Just trying to balance the constant shyte and giving out about Christie.

Not specifically you at all. It's just not mentioned much that Arter is playing out of position as well. Being a 'midfielder' isn't all the same thing, or even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Keith Andrews calling a spade a spade here. Basically going MON out without so much as coming out and saying it.

Babb on Sky.

'Martin said we played 'fine' against Denmark. Ask your partner how she is and she says she's 'fine', what do you really think'

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

CSF wrote:
    Keith Andrews calling a spade a spade here. Basically going MON out without so much as coming out and saying it.

Fair play to him had the whole scenario down to a tee, including Mon s new contract in January means nothing will change. How low can we go with this current set up is anyone's guess rem ember Georgia playing us off the park and unlucky to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Ah look I understand your frustration but Christie was poor for the simple reason he doesn't have the technique to be a centre mid. His passing range his limited and his vision isnt at international level.

I think the problem is we have 3 PL level right backs and no way to fit them all in so MON stuck him in at CM for an experiment which isn't working.

Had to feel sorry for McClean by the end. He was seemingly our only attacking outlet by the last half an hour but was obviously knackered yet we kept expecting him to produce some magic. Coupled by the fact he was playing at left back for some reason.

No idea where creativity is going to come from this team though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

No gameplan, no belief.

If this was the club game MON would be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

No gameplan, no belief.

If this was the club game MON would be in trouble.

In trouble?

He'd of been bloody sacked by now.

We all know why he wont be sacked and we all know why he wont walk. Unless of course himself and the FAI do a deal and they pay a years salary in lieu. They cant afford that but they also cant afford to miss out onthe euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Taking off Robinson was laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ridiculous attack on Arter to defend Keane.

He may have been poor tonight buteave the two issues aside.

He is one of our very few premier league midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

On holidays in the Costa Del Sol, the missus wanted to sit outside a pub, have a few drinks, and watch the world go by, I didn’t even put up an argument, this would have been unthinkable a couple of years back. I recognised 5 players on the Welsh team, 2 playing in the premiership, God knows what it was like to watch.
    We are all tech savvy, social media is the only way forward #delaneyout #MONout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

GreeBo wrote: »

Ha.
    He’s fully delusional.

Always has been. You get the same crap from him in every post match. If he had any pride or morals he'd resign. He doesn't though so we are stuck with him.

To hell with the FAI and their ridiculous policy of offering contracts when they do. It's a bloody joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Kirby wrote: »
    Always has been. You get the same crap from him in every post match. If he had any pride or morals he'd resign. He doesn't though so we are stuck with him.

To hell with the FAI and their ridiculous policy of offering contracts when they do. It's a bloody joke.

If a mate told me that they were walking out on a contract that was worth millions to him on the basis of “pride” then I’d phone the men in white coats. I’d imagine you’d do likewise.

O’Neill signed the contract so he’s entitled to the payoff if the FAI want rid. I don’t like the man or the manager but this is squarely down to the incompetence of the lads at the top of the FAI. They did the same with Trap so there really is no excuse beyond incompetence on their part.

Had to feel sorry for McClean by the end. He was seemingly our only attacking outlet by the last half an hour but was obviously knackered yet we kept expecting him to produce some magic.

The only magic I've seen from McClean is turning a tackle into an assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

noodler wrote: »
    Ridiculous attack on Arter to defend Keane.

He may have been poor tonight buteave the two issues aside.

He is one of our very few premier league midfielders.

What's ridiculous about it? I'm not so much defending Keane either, it's more that I'm attacking the knowitalls on here who would have blamed Keane if Arter didn't return and who blame Keane because Rice is jumping ship. Keane may deserve criticism for other stuff but not for that and Arter was poor, he was worse than a man down. Him and Randolph at fault for the Wales goal.

As you say he is one of our very few EPL midfielders so you can stop making excuses for him.

What's ridiculous about it? I'm not so much defending Keane either, it's more that I'm attacking the knowitalls on here who would have blamed Keane if Arter didn't return and who blame Keane because Rice is jumping ship. Keane may deserve criticism for other stuff but not for that and Arter was poor, he was worse than a man down. Him and Randolph at fault for the Wales goal.

As you say he is one of our very few EPL midfielders so you can stop making excuses for him.

But you're dodging the O'Neill issue.

Everyone is talking about O'Neill, lots concluded long ago he was no longer managing the side correctly. Now that seems to be a crescendo, you're bleating about posters who had an opinion about Arter and his decision to sit out a game weeks ago?

I think we can all agree on one thing, Arter is not the problem.

Now, your thoughts on O'Neill. You can in your reply draw on your posts from 2 weeks ago where you said he should be judged on results of the games since and you thought we could do well.

But you're dodging the O'Neill issue.

Everyone is talking about O'Neill, lots concluded long ago he was no longer managing the side correctly. Now that seems to be a crescendo, you're bleating about posters who had an opinion about Arter and his decision to sit out a game weeks ago?

I think we can all agree on one thing, Arter is not the problem.

Now, your thoughts on O'Neill. You can in your reply draw on your posts from 2 weeks ago where you said he should be judged on results of the games since and you thought we could do well.

Yep, my opinion is the same, he should be judged on results. He's not getting them now so his position comes under question.

If you look at my opinions after the Denmark 5-1 defeat, back then I was of the view that perhaps it would've been best for MON to go then with a fairly good record as Ireland manager intact. Two campaigns, one ending in a successful tournament the other ending in a play off defeat.

Ironically I think they played better last night than they did v Denmark for example, where they came out and made attempts to be on the front foot and create chances. We can't score is the major problem even when chances come our way and when Arter and Randolph together messed up and Wales got their goal, that was that. Ireland weren't going to score to get back in the game no matter how hard they tried and they did try.

Given previous experience it's unlikely the FAI will sack him, they'll want him to walk so that they won't have to pay the rest of his salary. Maybe a deal will be done to lessen the financial impact if him and his management team goes?

I think what makes a managers position ultimately untenable is when he has lost the dressingroom. Last night's performance didn't reveal that, so it really comes down to a matter of judgement; Can O'Neill get this group of players to Euro 2020? If they can't score goals they won't. However it's debatable that anyone could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Had to feel sorry for McClean by the end. He was seemingly our only attacking outlet by the last half an hour but was obviously knackered yet we kept expecting him to produce some magic. Coupled by the fact he was playing at left back for some reason.

No idea where creativity is going to come from this team though.

Watched bits of each half and whilst he worked hard, as did all the players who took to the field for you, I'm not sure what attacking play you are talking about. That whole team is lacking when it comes to creativity. I thought Doherty looked bright at times and he made some really good runs but you didn't have the quality of player to pick out the pass that was needed. Recall seeing him look up to the sky at one point after making a run. You are desperately short in the final third. Is there any talent up front in the u21s you could promote?

On a side note, the players are still playing for MON/RK. No doubt about that.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Watched bits of each half and whilst he worked hard, as did all the players who took to the field for you, I'm not sure what attacking play you are talking about. That whole team is lacking when it comes to creativity. I thought Doherty looked bright at times and he made some really good runs but you didn't have the quality of player to pick out the pass that was needed. Recall seeing him look up to the sky at one point after making a run. You are desperately short in the final third. Is there any talent up front in the u21s you could promote?

The players are playing for the jersey and the fans.

The players are playing for the jersey and the fans.
    Again your failure to give credit where it's due undermines your views and renders them ultimately futile.

When a manager loses the dressingroom, the players down tools and go through the motions and you'd know it if and when that happens. The players last night were still trying their best.

You don't seem to answer points where your views are challenged, that just renders your views even more futlie if that is possible.

Berserker wrote: »

We none of us know that.

In fact, it is a facile statement that could be proposed or challenged about any team, any time, anywhere.

They may be playing for themselves and personal pride, and laughing at how bad the team is set up but getting on with it. Their wives and kids in the stands. Their national pride. Their parents or grandparents, if born abroad...or even if born here. They may conceivably be playing, not for MON at all but because they love RK and RK alone.

We none of us know that.

In fact, it is a facile statement that could be proposed or challenged about any team, any time, anywhere.

They may be playing for themselves and personal pride, and laughing at how bad the team is set up but getting on with it. Their wives and kids in the stands. Their national pride. Their parents or grandparents, if born abroad...or even if born here. They may conceivably be playing, not for MON at all but because they love RK and RK alone.

Nah, it doesn't work like that Conor. If MON had 'lost the dressingroom' as they put it, then you'd know it. The players would have chucked it especially after Wales scored. They would have went through the motions till the end of the game is what I mean. They didn't and kept trying to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Oat23 wrote: »
    NOTHING will ever change when there are still 38,321 dopey c*nts showing up to watch this sh*te.

Posting crap about the FAI on boards, twitter or a journalist doing it in a paper is meaningless. It has no affect on the FAI. People still show up for games and buy all the crap merchandise.

Dopey ***** for going to a football match?

• Advertisement
Advertisement