Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Wales, Nations League, Sky Sports Football, 7.45pm

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oat23 wrote: »
    NOTHING will ever change when there are still 38,321 dopey c*nts showing up to watch this sh*te.

Posting crap about the FAI on boards, twitter or a journalist doing it in a paper is meaningless. It has no affect on the FAI. People still show up for games and buy all the crap merchandise.

Completely out of order. :mad: From Charlton until now I've never seen an Irish team sell the fans out on effort. They will always be deserving of our support irrespective of our issues with the FAI or a present manager.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nah, it doesn't work like that Conor. If MON had 'lost the dressingroom' as they put it, then you'd know it. The players would have chucked it especially after Wales scored. They would have went through the motions till the end of the game is what I mean. They didn't and kept trying to the end.

We can say what we know.

Players have turned down the chance to play for Ireland under O'Neill and Keane. Players have declined call ups for individual matches. Players are sending social media messages about Keane. Some players are perceived as "standing up to him", or alternatively being afraid of him - neither is healthy. Players have been played out of position. Players have publicly wondered whether their face fits and have only been called up when recognised as the most in form player in the English Premier League. The team looks hopelessly disjointed. It is playing dire football in front of awful attendances despite thousands of tickets being handed out. Players are indicating to the media that they don't know if they are being played, and when they are told immediately before games, they don't know where they are being played or what they are supposed to do.

If in the midst of all this you draw comfort from the fact that you think O'Neill has not lost the dressing room, well that's good for you. I'm not sure it really matters one way or the other. It's still a complete and utter shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Nah, it doesn't work like that Conor. If MON had 'lost the dressingroom' as they put it, then you'd know it. The players would have chucked it especially after Wales scored. They would have went through the motions till the end of the game is what I mean. They didn't and kept trying to the end.

How do you know how it works?

Why wouldn't some players want to go out and give the best account of themselves regardless of who is in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Raoul wrote: »
    How do you know how it works?

Why wouldn't some players want to go out and give the best account of themselves regardless of who is in charge?
    If a manager loses control completely of a dressingroom, you'll see it on the pitch. Things aren't right with Ireland but it hasn't reached that point of the manager having lost the dressingroom. Last night the players kept trying till the end. That's how I know.

We can say what we know.

Players have turned down the chance to play for Ireland under O'Neill and Keane. Players have declined call ups for individual matches. Players are sending social media messages about Keane. Some players are perceived as "standing up to him", or alternatively being afraid of him - neither is healthy. Players have been played out of position. Players have publicly wondered whether their face fits and have only been called up when recognised as the most in form player in the English Premier League. The team looks hopelessly disjointed. It is playing dire football in front of awful attendances despite thousands of tickets being handed out. Players are indicating to the media that they don't know if they are being played, and when they are told immediately before games, they don't know where they are being played or what they are supposed to do.

If in the midst of all this you draw comfort from the fact that you think O'Neill has not lost the dressing room, well that's good for you. I'm not sure it really matters one way or the other. It's still a complete and utter shambles.
    He hasn't lost the dressingroom as of last nights performance and the effort from the players. I'm simply saying what I'm seeing Conor.

What I saw was players that want to give their all for the fans and for themselves. Nothing got to do with the manager. In fact, I would say it is in spite of the manager.

What I saw was players that want to give their all for the fans and for themselves. Nothing got to do with the manager. In fact, I would say it is in spite of the manager.

So if they don't give their best it's the managers fault and if they do give their best the manager still gets no credit and it's in spite of him? Nah, not having that.

So if they don't give their best it's the managers fault and if they do give their best the manager still gets no credit and it's in spite of him? Nah, not having that.

I don't give credit to anyone but the players themselves for giving it their best and if they don't give their best then it is also on them.

Imagine being at work and a manager constantly telling you or your workmates that you are not really up to the job. How would you feel? Honestly?

"Yeah, TheCitizen...hmm..it is too bad that we can't bring back the guy that was working previously, he was much better". I would have zero self-confidence and I would hate coming to work. What do you think?

I don't give credit to anyone but the players themselves for giving it their best and if they don't give their best then it is also on them.

Imagine being at work and a manager constantly telling you or your workmates that you are not really up to the job. How would you feel? Honestly?

"Yeah, TheCitizen...hmm..it is too bad that we can't bring back the guy that was working previously, he was much better". I would have zero self-confidence and I would hate coming to work. What do you think?

We're talking about well paid professional footballers with big egos here. If they've had it with a manager they'll down tools and get him out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

McClean and magic ive heard it all now :pac:
    The denial about a **** player in Ireland is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A dressing room doesn't have to be lost for changes to be made. It's not a 'wait until he's lost the players and then we'll sack him' process. Many a poor manager was rightly sacked when he had plenty of support from the team, that alone doesn't mean you are doing your job correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

irishman86 wrote: »
    McClean and magic ive heard it all now :pac:
    The denial about a **** player in Ireland is laughable

Ah now I'd much rather someone who would die for the jersey in McClean and give 100% every match than someone with good technique but no real passion for the jersey: O Dowda,McGeady, McGoldrick, Hogan etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Christie and Keogh in the post match looked fairly lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

noodler wrote: »
    Christie and Keogh in the post match looked fairly lost.
    Pretty similar to when they were on the pitch then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We're talking about well paid professional footballers with big egos here. If they've had it with a manager they'll down tools and get him out.

You seem very sure about the collective mindset of a bunch of very different individuals, none of whom you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ireland will be the first host nation in history to not be at the finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ireland will be the first host nation in history to not be at the finals

Scotland and Hungary also hosting. Could probably throw in Azerbaijan and Romania although both still have a chance via playoffs.

I still think we'll make a playoff despite being relegated. We're currently ranked 22nd in Nations League. If 14 of the 21 teams above us qualify through the traditional route we're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

If I ever have trouble sleeping il watch an Ireland match :D

The League of Ireland players would show those donkeys how to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If a manager loses control completely of a dressingroom, you'll see it on the pitch. Things aren't right with Ireland but it hasn't reached that point of the manager having lost the dressingroom. Last night the players kept trying till the end. That's how I know.

that's how it works at club level because fans and players are fickle and move around, is very different at international level because any player who chicks in the towel will never be skewed to forget it.

Do you have examples of what you are saying happening at international level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mikeym wrote: »
    If I ever have trouble sleeping il watch an Ireland match :D

The League of Ireland players would show those donkeys how to play.

If the LOI players were better they would be playing for bigger clubs.

I find it hard to believe that what we see on the pitch is purely a skills or talent issue. If these guys really can't cross a ball then how are they getting paid tens of thousands a week?

Ah now I'd much rather someone who would die for the jersey in McClean and give 100% every match than someone with good technique but no real passion for the jersey: O Dowda,McGeady, McGoldrick, Hogan etc.

Your on your own there buddy, id be happy never to see McClean play for Ireland again
    If we wanted tried there hardest we would just pick LOI players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

irishman86 wrote: »

Your on your own there buddy, id be happy never to see McClean play for Ireland again
    If we wanted tried there hardest we would just pick LOI players

He is, unfortunately, also one of our bigger goal threats too though...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He is, unfortunately, also one of our bigger goal threats too though...

Well Duffy right now looks our most likely to score which says everything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

wadacrack wrote: »
    Need a friendly v Gibraltar at this rate

Deeply regret this comment

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Haha

Get lost

• Advertisement
Advertisement