Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O.k to lock toddlers bedroom door?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

siblers wrote: »
    A 2 year old should most definitely not be sleeping in the same room as their parent. The op is only looking for advice, don't be so judgemental

Who says so? What expert told you that & based on what?

Up to a hundred years ago we didn't have separate rooms. Most people had a curtain to pull across.

How after tens of thousands of years of sleeping together did it all of a sudden become wrong for a child to share a room with their parents?

I'd love to see some hard evidence on this notion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

TBH, I’d put a safety gate anywhere you’d rather she didn’t roam (bathroom, office etc), and leave her at it. Or else put one on her bedroom door, maybe raised up a bit so it’s not climbable. If you’re genuinely worried about her climbing the gate at the top of the stairs, take it off, and spend a bit of time teaching her to ascend and descend safely. Leave lights on. We don’t have gates on the stairs, and my 16mo, and 2.5 year old manage them fine. My 2.5 yr old hops out of bed a good few nights, the only place he goes is towards people, he’d never bother going downstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We had stairgate on bedroom and stairs and strict rules about stairs. Never allowed near that stair gate without Mammy or daddy. We would let him wander before bed time and in the morning and enforce that rule consistently all the time. Even now at nearly four and with stair gate long gone he doesn’t go near the stairs without permission

We also spent a good week or two putting him back in the bed every single time he got out of it (this was exhausting for us!!!). He didn’t really get out of bed much after that. He can go get books off the shelves and hops back in, that’s mostly it. He’ll push boundaries every now and then and it’s just about reinforcing it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

goat2 wrote: »
    How would you like it if someone locked your door and you did not have access to the key to open it,
    it is dangerous, disturbing, and neglectful, at two could you not have the child in your room, with a child gate to stop them getting out,

still a baby

Sorry but thats nonsense.
    You could apply the same argument to stair gates, food, clothing and basically everything that all parents do for their child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Teaching them a safe way to come down the stairs can help too. For a toddler, sit down and go Bumping down the stairs on their bum.

I get what people are saying about staying in the room, but don’t forget about teaching independence and being part of the family. It is good to know how to go to the bathroom themselves, in the middle of the night, without waking everyone up. They need a drink, they have a step in the kitchen to get up to the tap with a cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Our first didn't get out of bed to gp to the loo until she was nearly four!It's not that we didn't let her, it just never occurred to her, and never occurred to us to tell her to get out if has to....we assumed she knew!!
    We leave lights on on the landing at night, but no lights in the bedroom, I'm afraid.Doors are open.
    Our two year old is a law unto herself, figured out how to undo the stair gate early on so that was useless...we find her grolclock to be very useful.I read developmentally they don't really get the concept of staying in bed/chair til about 2.5, so the groclock or a plug-in light on a timer or something is a good aid in that.And 100% you have to keep putting her back in when she gets out and you're up, because it's the only way they really understand at that age, they are still very small.Currently doing it at mealtimes at the kitchen table with the two year old...no.3 has usurped the highchair so she's got freedom at meals now!!!

Advertisement