Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't feel secure in my job

Options
  • 16-10-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I work in an international department in a media company in Europe. Since July of this year I've had a promotion to work as Social Media Manager. I have never felt comfortable in this role, as it is not my background.

I am expected to know more than another SMM with a strong social media background, and a degree in the field. I am also going to be quite heavily responsible for the turnaround of a project that is badly underperforming and at danger of being terminated. This will result in job losses.

I already feel my contract, which is the for renewal in June 2019, won't be continued, despite all my best efforts. Do you have any advice on who I can talk to to dispell those fears? How I can boost my own morale or performance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Have you been studying marketing and project management in your spare time?

In my experience the easiest way to feel secure is to have bullet proof skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just because someone is a content expert doesn’t mean they are management material, managing people or a service takes a range of skills and not always does it require you to be a content expert.

More important is that you can manage those who are content experts and rather than being intimidated by their knowledge support them to best advantage the company.

Definitely upskill where you can, but don’t loose focus on being the manager- that’s your job.

Advertisement