Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House from Relative

Options
  • 16-10-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭

My grandmother is currently in a nursing home. Her house is empty, I'm currently looking to buy a house but the family are reluctant to sell the family home while my grandmother is still alive (that sounds harsh I know). I'm just wondering if there options that I could present to the family that would to enable us buy the house or at least secure the house to enable me occupy the house or should I just look elsewhere?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

My grandmother is currently in a nursing home. Her house is empty, I'm currently looking to buy a house but the family are reluctant to sell the family home while my grandmother is still alive (that sounds harsh I know). I'm just wondering if there options that I could present to the family that would to enable us buy the house or at least secure the house to enable me occupy the house or should I just look elsewhere?

Is your grandmother capable of signing a contract? Is she in the fair deal scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Hey, thanks for reply, no she would not be capable of signing contract, I'm not sure. I know the family are paying for the home in full so they cannot get at the house, I guess that means she is not in the fair deal scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

What about something like ‘rent to buy’ so you pay rent now but then it’s deducted from sale price when the time comes.

Sometimes dealing with family isn’t worth the hassle :/

If it worked, your rent could go towards her nursing home fees instead of family paying and you be ‘rewarded’ when buying the house. I think you would need to have it valued and price agreed from the beginning. That’s where it could get complicated but depends on the people involved

And what’s to say she has left it to family? She might have willed it to the local stray cat sanctuary.

If you go forward with this.... think of every possible scenario because family can create hassle when it comes to inheritance (even if you are all like peas in a pod right now).

If she can't sell, then you can't buy. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Sorry the family are in the fair deal scheme.

• Advertisement

The only thing you can do is move into the house with their agreement as a caretaker, save as much money as you can and when your grandmother dies, try and buy the house then.

Advertisement