Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a big poetry test next week and I don't even know where to begin. [English HL]

Options
  • 16-10-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I have a test on rich. I've done Diving into the wreck, uncle in drawing room, trying to talk to a man, aunt jennifers tigers, storm warning and power

I don't even know how to start studying for this. Do I just use quotes from each one to find a link?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To answer LC HL English questions, you have to set out your arguments methodically, based on the question. Without knowing the question, it's a little difficult to explain, but, as an example, there was a Rich question on the paper in 2012.
    Adrienne Rich

“Rich’s poetry communicates powerful feelings through thought-provoking images and symbols.”
    Write your response to this statement with reference to the poems by Adrienne Rich on your course.
    (my bold)

To answer that question you should make sure to deal with each of the parts of the question, so you would identify feelings which a poem evokes and describe and examine the imagery and symbolism she uses for each feeling in each poem.

It's probably easier answer it with paragraphs on each poem, rather than paragraphs on each feeling, dealing with many poems.

There are some notes on Rich's poems here: http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/m_r/rich/rich.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Tropical.ing

Completely agree with what spurious said. I had a big poetry test last week on Boland and what was said above was exactly what my English teacher said. I made notes on the themes of each poem and the poetic devices and included quotes for each device.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

Sorry for hijacking the tread, but how much have you done in poetry? We've done about 4 from Robert Frost. My God, though I absolutely hate this section. We haven't had a proper test yet, but I seem pretty set on failing it (H8 is what I mean), judging from the fact that I can't even understand the poems well, let alone make out a high quality essay based on it. I desperately need help with this, especially since the other sections are going well (H3, I'd say).

Advertisement