Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union loan

• 16-10-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi.
    I am looking for some advice. I opened up a credit union account a couple of months ago. I saved €300 and then got a loan of €300 to build up a good credit history. I paid of the loan while saving and then got another loan of €300. At the moment I have €700 saved and owe €200 I have been saving every week and have not missed a payment. My question is would it be possible to get a loan of €7000 I know it’s very unlikely but any advice would be appreciated. I would not be looking for the loan until my current loan was clear and I had about €1000 in my savings. Keep in mind I am unemployed and a loan parent to 2 little boys. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I can't say with certainty whether you will or not, but they will look first and foremost at your earnings. As you have none, it would be hard to see them advancing a loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its normally a multiple of your savings.

Ie. 300 savings. 1200 loan. (Savings X3)
    It varies from cu to cu.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭huggy15

Its normally a multiple of your savings.

Not with my local c.u they look at your ability to repay more than savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

The loans you've had so far are what they term "within savings", ie they are fully covered by the money you have on deposit.
    There is a lower threshold of scrutiny to get such a loan, in terms of ability to repay.

Once you want them to lend you their money instead of your own, the requirements become much more stringent.

Advertisement