Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas on living in Naas?

Options
  • 16-10-2018 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey. My family and I are looking to buy in Naas. Currently in West Wicklow and Naas seems like a better choice re schools/commute/affordability. We have little idea regarding areas and I was just hoping for some opinions. How is your commute? Are there any areas that are over priced currently? What are the older estates like? Monread/Ashgrove? There are lots if new builds but are there amenities to support them in your op? We will hopefully buy in the next 6 months or so. Any and all opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

The older estates in Naas are prettier...more spacious parking etc. Check out millbridge way for location...cleavaun is decent too. The newer estates are ok but the development planned is crazy compared to amenities out towards kilcullen road. Only schools are built...no recreational areas tho. If you will be bussing towards town stick to dublin road ...check out Roseville and good luck with your choice. Paddocks on tipper road is lovely too if and when houses come up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bravenewworld1

Thanks Feets. I have my suspicions regarding the amount of development versus amenities alright. The builds themselves seem great though??. Will be driving then public transport, we hope. Whats your opinion on slightly further out too? Sallins/Prosperous/Allen etc...Bear in mind we have two very young kids...so a lot of trips in the car envisaged to get to things.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

Yep u are right about the builds...no complaints on the new estates that have been pointed out...they look solid with renewable energies etc. Prosperous is nowhere near naas really. Sallins has a train line and good gaa community and will have a bypass soon but there are little facilities and no secondary school but abgreat primary school...3 full classes per year. There is value to be had in naas still. If u live in sallins or prosperous...u are still relying on a bigger town tho for day to day items such as clothes cafes etc.
    Allen is a no unless u are rural and want to live in a rural village. .which doesnt sound like what you need. Kill is nice and a bit closer on the bus to town but again no secondary school.

Feets wrote: »
    Yep u are right about the builds...no complaints on the new estates that have been pointed out...they look solid with renewable energies etc. Prosperous is nowhere near naas really. Sallins has a train line and good gaa community and will have a bypass soon but there are little facilities and no secondary school but abgreat primary school...3 full classes per year. There is value to be had in naas still. If u live in sallins or prosperous...u are still relying on a bigger town tho for day to day items such as clothes cafes etc.
    Allen is a no unless u are rural and want to live in a rural village. .which doesnt sound like what you need. Kill is nice and a bit closer on the bus to town but again no secondary school.

Thanks again. Yes you are right re what we need. Further out is not for us but you know yourself, if it was doable we could factor it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Naas is a great town. Lots of housing choice too. The one thing against it is the commute. It's brutal. Where you going to for work

• Advertisement

Naas is a great town. Lots of housing choice too. The one thing against it is the commute. It's brutal. Where you going to for work

One of us is Clondalkin, the other Camden St. A pain for the latter. Was thinking Park n Ride from Red Cow maybe? Or an m50 trip to somewhere on the green line...Either way if a house buy and settlement in Naas is on the cards, being closer to the town will prompt a job hunt. We have commuted for years and now the kids are here the priorites have definitely changed.

One of us is Clondalkin, the other Camden St. A pain for the latter. Was thinking Park n Ride from Red Cow maybe? Or an m50 trip to somewhere on the green line...Either way if a house buy and settlement in Naas is on the cards, being closer to the town will prompt a job hunt. We have commuted for years and now the kids are here the priorites have definitely changed.

Yeh Clondalkin would be grand. Camden st would not. You'd be looking at 20-30 mins to red cow, 40 mins to abbey street, 10 mins to Harcourt and then whatever walk there is. Pretty much guaranteed 80 mins and if it rains or theres a crash on the n7 you're goosed. But if the Camden street worker could switch that would be perfect. As I say, Naas is a lovely town.

Yeh Clondalkin would be grand. Camden st would not. You'd be looking at 20-30 mins to red cow, 40 mins to abbey street, 10 mins to Harcourt and then whatever walk there is. Pretty much guaranteed 80 mins and if it rains or theres a crash on the n7 you're goosed. But if the Camden street worker could switch that would be perfect. As I say, Naas is a lovely town.

Great stuff. Yes the Camden St commute would be hell...and never getting to see the family is not a preference for anyone. We will evaluate that as soon as possible. As for Naas, it seems to be exploding. Any downsides as far as this is concerned? Apart from the obvious...commute times etc. Does it still have a small town appeal? I genuinely have only heard positives from those we have met who already live there!

Great stuff. Yes the Camden St commute would be hell...and never getting to see the family is not a preference for anyone. We will evaluate that as soon as possible. As for Naas, it seems to be exploding. Any downsides as far as this is concerned? Apart from the obvious...commute times etc. Does it still have a small town appeal? I genuinely have only heard positives from those we have met who already live there!

It's not that small anymore. Loads of bars and nice restaurants, benefits greatly from being just that bit too far from Dublin so is largely self sufficient in many ways for entertainment etc. Every super market you could think of with dunnes going in the middle of town once they get around the building works. Schools are good, canal has lovely walks and punchestown festival is great craic even if you have no interest in horses.

If I was to have my choice area wise I'd pick something up near the old tesco. Roselawn, Woodlands, the paddocks etc. Some of the newer estates look good too, Stoneleigh in particular. Elsmore and castlepark look like lovely houses, but that bit harder to get out of town for commuting and wrong side for the Clondalkin worker.

If you're willing to wait there's a rake of new houses penned in for up near the paddocks but God knows how much they'll be. Monread also not too bad, but wouldn't be my first choice. Bit far from some of the schools for a walk and the traffic can be a nightmare at rush hour. But again, there'll be comprises wherever you go

Advertisement