Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital camera.

Options
  • 16-10-2018 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi.

I don't want to make bad reputation to anyone as the case is still not finished.

I bought 1200 euro worth camera 18 months ago. It broke and need quite expensive repair, from what I know motherboard replacement. There is 12 months manufacturer warranty on it and shop rang me that it expired and I need to pay around 300 euro for repair.

I heard that there is some kind of law called EU consumer protection law that state that all electronics should be covered by seller for 24 months. I know that in other countries in EU it works exactly that way.

What's the story with this in Ireland? I like that shop and I don't want to be messy and start yelling at staff demanding repair of its not needed. I'm looking for more peaceful way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you contacted the manufacturer. I'd be making that my first call, I'd be inclined to ring them rather than email. Once you put things in writing you leave people with very little wiggle room to help outside company policy.
    Forget about the legal route unless all else fails. The manufacturer might have a call center in the UK if not one here.

Are they saying you caused the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 abcCORK87

Have you contacted the manufacturer. I'd be making that my first call, I'd be inclined to ring them rather than email. Once you put things in writing you leave people with very little wiggle room to help outside company policy.
    Forget about the legal route unless all else fails. The manufacturer might have a call center in the UK if not one here.

Are they saying you caused the problem?

I did contact privately manufacturer sales person that I meet in past and I received phone number that I'm going to try tomorrow.

Shop just rang me today that repair service they using contacted them that my warranty expired as its covered only for 12 months. And I checked manuals and website and they all says its only 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The EU-24-months thing doesn't exist in Ireland. We have stronger but less clear consumer protections here

You have an expectation that something should be free of manufacturing defects and have up to 6 years to make a claim on that. The responsibility is entirely with the retailer, not the manufacturer. If the retailer does not provide satisfaction you can take them to court.

It would be worth checking with the manufacturer first - this doesn't affect the retailer option if they refuse - as if the fault is common they may be used to doing it FOC or for a low price. Otherwise you need to go to the retailer and emphasise that the warranty is not relevant and that your consumer rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act mean that a manufacturing defect should result in repair, replacement or refund. They are likely to refuse in-store, staff rarely have the ability to do anything of that value, so a registered letter may be required then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A manufacturer fault should have showed up by now so if it's over 18mts without fault you've a hard time trying to enforce our take on the law.

Has the engineer suggested what might have caused the problem. Would be handy to know when calling the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

where did you purchase the camera from? was it a bricks n mortar shop here in ireland or online? If online was it an irish, EU, or non EU company you used?

what is the nature of the fault? you mentioned motherboard and id like to know why you think that. has it gotten damp?

If it is a shop in ireland you need to go to their customer services or manager and tell them its faulty and you want it dealt with under the sale of goods and supply act, where then should offer you one of the 3 R's , repair, replace or refund.

They would be well within their rights to send the camera off for assessment because if its damage caused by you, they would not have to cover that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

A manufacturer fault should have showed up by now so if it's over 18mts without fault you've a hard time trying to enforce our take on the law.

Has the engineer suggested what might have caused the problem. Would be handy to know when calling the manufacturer.

I don't know where you get that idea. I have had to return a camera with a fault after over two years. No problem with the retailer, a well known Dublin retailer. Camera was returned to , repaired , after about 2 weeks.

OP, your contract is with the retailer and that should be your destination to resolve matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I've currently got a situation where Harvey Norman have adopted a stance of not offering any form of redress for a camera that became faulty within 12 months but was brought into store just after 12 months.

If you don't buy extended warranty they don't want to know you.

Advertisement