Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house

Options
  • 16-10-2018 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi.i have been offered a council house in mac uilliam Tallaght.Is it a safe place,i have 3 small children and i am worried for them..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

My own opinion is that if you're in the lucky position where you can afford to be choosey about the location of a council house, do the decent thing and refuse it and leave it to a family who are truly in need.

Those who are actually in NEED of housing would be grateful for a roof over their head, regardless of the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My own opinion is that if you're in the lucky position where you can afford to be choosey about the location of a council house, do the decent thing and refuse it and leave it to a family who are truly in need.

Those who are actually in NEED of housing would be grateful for a roof over their head, regardless of the location.

Yes, but if it’s a kip of a place then why not find out now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eda.vl

Thank you for your opinion,but my children come first and to ask its not wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes, but if it’s a kip of a place then why not find out now?

Council housing ideally should be offered to those most in need, anyone I know who is genuinely in need of housing wouldn't give a crap about the location once their family has a roof over their head.

If you want to be fussy about location, by all means buy your own house with your own money. I just think the ungrateful attitude of entitlement is an insult to those genuinely in need who are years down the list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Not the thread to debate social housing. Take it somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Yes, it's a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You need to go and spend a bit of time around the area and make sure it is for you. I would tell you exactly the same if you were renting in the private sector or even if you were buying. And what suits you might not suit other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You need to go and spend a bit of time around the area and make sure it is for you. I would tell you exactly the same if you were renting in the private sector or even if you were buying. And what suits you might not suit other people.

Thank you; i wish I had done that with my previous rental. Would have saved a lot of pain.

This time I took greater care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

25 years ago we were offered a council house in an area on the northside of Cork City that had a very bad reputation at the time (it still has). We took the house and spent 13 great years there before finally managing to buy our own place in a different part of the city.

We had two children when we moved into the council house and a third arrived soon after. Despite everything we'd heard about the area, it was a really good place to live, with fantastic neighbours and a really great primary school.

I have nothing but happy memories of our council house and the area as a whole. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to experience the same. We've all heard the stories about Tallaght, but those stories probably come from those who don't live in the area and get greatly exaggerated. Having a stable, long term and affordable home will be greatly beneficial to you and your children.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why did the op apply for council housing in the first? place what did the op think they were going to be offered?

• Advertisement

25 years ago we were offered a council house in an area on the northside of Cork City that had a very bad reputation at the time (it still has). We took the house and spent 13 great years there before finally managing to buy our own place in a different part of the city.

We had two children when we moved into the council house and a third arrived soon after. Despite everything we'd heard about the area, it was a really good place to live, with fantastic neighbours and a really great primary school.

I have nothing but happy memories of our council house and the area as a whole. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to experience the same. We've all heard the stories about Tallaght, but those stories probably come from those who don't live in the area and get greatly exaggerated. Having a stable, long term and affordable home will be greatly beneficial to you and your children.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thank you so much,that really helps..

There are advantages as well a lot of money has gone into certain areas there could be community child care with is subsidised and is of a high standard a DEIS school will have all sorts of resources that other schools don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

To be honest, most council houses will probably be in areas you may deem not suitable

It’s more how you raise your kids and spend time with them installing values and educating them about life

If you refuse, you will more than likely be offered a similar area. I would be extremely grateful of being offered a house.

Only alternative is to move to a desired location of your choice by your own financial means

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You make sure your kids are in by a set time every evening (no matter how embarrassing this is for them), know who they are spending time with and generally keep them on a short leash you will be fine.
    Decent parenting can overcome many things.

If you go through MacUilliam and similar nearby schemes, you can pick out now which of the kids will be the ones causing trouble in the future. Watch at the parent teacher meetings and see which and how many parents show up. Draw your own conclusions about the others. They do not lick it off the stones.

To be honest, most council houses will probably be in areas you may deem not suitable

It’s more how you raise your kids and spend time with them installing values and educating them about life

If you refuse, you will more than likely be offered a similar area. I would be extremely grateful of being offered a house.

Only alternative is to move to a desired location of your choice by your own financial means

I think the op know that and it's not very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think the op know that and it's not very helpful.

I disagree, giving advice how living in a bad area isn’t an impossible task to raise kids

I know many who have lived in bad areas and made a success in life

I’m merely pointing out that a bad area isn’t the end of the world especially when you don’t have the luxury of choosing

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mayopanda84

you will be directly across the road from the Lidl that got destroyed in the snow earlier this year. 
    this place was also a no go zone last halloween, and with the build up to halloween now, if you go and have a drive around it late at night this weekend, you will get an idea of how bad the area is

spurious wrote: »
    You make sure your kids are in by a set time every evening (no matter how embarrassing this is for them), know who they are spending time with and generally keep them on a short leash you will be fine.
    Decent parenting can overcome many things.

If you go through MacUilliam and similar nearby schemes, you can pick out now which of the kids will be the ones causing trouble in the future. Watch at the parent teacher meetings and see which and how many parents show up. Draw your own conclusions about the others. They do not lick it off the stones.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭paulpd

Advertisement